CPU too hot

LastMohikan

Hello,

I bought an ASUS X550JX series notebook about 2 months ago.

Specs are:

Intel i5-4200H CPU

GTX 950M 

8GB Ram

Windows 8.1

My idle temp is around 37-42C But..

When I play games with high quality for example CS:GO and LOL it gets around 90-95C

I have cleaned my fan and stuff, reapplied thermal paste couple of times ( I have a MX-4 and some xigmatek paste )

NOTHING HELPED

My cpu is shaped kinda like this : http://static.shiftdelete.net/img/article_new/5_nvidia1296035553.jpg

I have used every method to apply thermal paste.

Should I buy something like arctic silver 5 or is there any solution to my problem ? Thanks

EDITED away the stupidity of my comment. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

You said you used every method of applying thermal paste, which did you  use last? It might be you used a particularly bad one last that's giving you thse temps

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

That picture looks like a GPU is it not?

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

It looks like your CPU has no integrated heat spreader... which means it is important to put enough paste on to completely cover it but no more.  Experiment with the amount maybe, but do not spread it.. this is a very bad idea.

Also did you consider that the cooling system may simply just be not that great?  90C isn't dangerous to the chip, but it could potentially throttle.

Also please follow your thread.

Yeah that is actually a GPU I think now that I look better at the picture.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

You said you used every method of applying thermal paste, which did you  use last? It might be you used a particularly bad one last that's giving you thse temps

I have used the line method with my last attempt. Tried rice and business card before. Not much difference

90-95C is really bad, might not be making good contact with your cooler, as I assume the laptop isn't passive cooled

It has only one small fan for both CPU and GPU. GPU doesn't get hot too much though

It has only one small fan for both CPU and GPU. GPU doesn't get hot too much though

Which gets air first the cpu or gpu? If it's the gpu that will raise temps, especially if it has a small heat spreader.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Which gets air first the cpu or gpu? If it's the gpu that will raise temps, especially if it has a small heat spreader.

first cpu then gpu

Yeah that is actually a GPU I think now that I look better at the picture.

yeah they both look alike. i put that so you would know that it doesn't have a metal cap. gpu has a square thing and cpu looks like a line.

It looks like your CPU has no integrated heat spreader... which means it is important to put enough paste on to completely cover it but no more.  Experiment with the amount maybe, but do not spread it.. this is a very bad idea.

Also did you consider that the cooling system may simply just be not that great?  90C isn't dangerous to the chip, but it could potentially throttle.

Also please follow your thread.

what do you mean by completely cover it ?

90C on laptop. Sound normal to me. You can't improve internals. Thats fact. You could get laptop cooler pad and improve rate fresh air is going in.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Depending on the chasis which I presume is plastic this wont help cooling, you then have 1 dedicated sink over multiple for each component, smaller enclosure, less room for air to move, the material its on (Fabrics increase heat, glass and metal can help disapate it via the chasis, wood can help also but not that good.)

Thermal paste between brands is tiny in temps, its used for making better contact so MX wont improve it that much.

You could get a fan for underneath the system, there are extreme methods like using ice bags to cool it passively, and linus bluetac method for a macbook, but these are extreme.

Something I do with my desktop which I don't know if you can do with your laptop is increase the fan speed, its cheaper to replace the fans every now and again compared to having to replace the mobo.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

what do you mean by completely cover it ?

(yea yea sorry I haven't checked here for a while)

So, for most CPUs, it doesn't matter if your thermal paste only makes a circle on it, leaving the corners not covered.

But when you don't have an IHS (like in the picture) even the very corners must make contact with the cooler.

Hello,

I bought an ASUS X550JX series notebook about 2 months ago.

Specs are:

Intel i5-4200H CPU

GTX 950M

8GB Ram

Windows 8.1

My idle temp is around 37-42C But..

When I play games with high quality for example CS:GO and LOL it gets around 90-95C

I have cleaned my fan and stuff, reapplied thermal paste couple of times ( I have a MX-4 and some xigmatek paste )

NOTHING HELPED

My cpu is shaped kinda like this : http://static.shiftdelete.net/img/article_new/5_nvidia1296035553.jpg

I have used every method to apply thermal paste.

Should I buy something like arctic silver 5 or is there any solution to my problem ? Thanks

Tj max for your CPU is 100°C so you are fine. Not great, but fine. I would get one of these actively cooled laptop stands if you want better temps.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Hm, this is a notebook?

Honestly, I own a MacBook Pro (don't laugh, I didn't buy it) and it manages to get to at least 105C whenever under load. Obviously, this does drop back down to about 90C to 95C where it sticks around for most of the time while under said load.

It's unhealthy for the CPU but really I don't know if there's much you can do about it since it's simply a notebook. Notebooks are generally not designed to be the most cooling efficient contraption out there, which is a huge problem when it comes to owning one. I'm amazed you bothered taking it apart and reapplying thermal compound where needed, I still haven't even bothered doing that for mine since it seems like such a lost cause (though I doubt Apple manufactured it with silver-based compound to be perfectly honest).

No, I didn't read the rest of the posts here. It's 4am and I'm tired. Leave me alone. :P

tl;dr probably can't do much, you should be fine though since my laptop has done the same and has lasted this long thus far

Try to lover to to 80C and that is it.

TJunction for that CPU is 100C, so no worries.

What is ambient? That is an important factor.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO