Refresh vs Rebrand?

ContemplatingBeluga
Go to solution Solved by DarkBlade2117,

Thank you for the succinct explaination :) So the only time a card can be considered 'new' is when it runs on a new architecture?

Technically no and yes. It's considered fully new when on a new architecture.

We call cards like the AMD 300series refreshes because it kindda is a new card but still technically is just a improved 200 series.

Can someone explain what the differences are? I've heard people use it all the time and I'm not entirely sure what the key differences are between these two terms. I apologise for my ignorance :(

Can someone explain what the differences are? I've heard people use it all the time and I'm not entirely sure what the key differences are between these two terms. I apologise for my ignorance :(

Alright rebrand is like for example Nvidia takes the GTX 960 and straight just puts GTX 1060 on it and calls it a new card.

A refresh would be where they take the GTX 960, make it minimum 4GBs of VRAM, 256bit bus, add a little more CUDA cores, make stock clock a smidge higher ect ect then call it a GTX 1060. It's the same exact card just with some improvements.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Rebrand: Taking an existing "thing", changing the name and labels and selling it as new. Between old thing A and new thing B, the only difference is the name.

Refresh: Taking an existing thing, adding features and tweaks(improvements) and selling it as new. Between old thing A and new thing B, there are differences, but most of them will be slight.

rebrand: new name

refresh: slightly new product with a new name

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Alright rebrand is like for example Nvidia takes the GTX 960 and straight just puts GTX 1060 on it and calls it a new card.

A refresh would be where they take the GTX 960, make it minimum 4GBs of VRAM, 256bit bus, add a little more CUDA cores, make stock clock a smidge higher ect ect then call it a GTX 1060. It's the same exact card just with some improvements.

Thank you for the succinct explaination :) So the only time a card can be considered 'new' is when it runs on a new architecture?

Technically no and yes. It's considered fully new when on a new architecture.

We call cards like the AMD 300series refreshes because it kindda is a new card but still technically is just a improved 200 series.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Rebrand: Taking an existing "thing", changing the name and labels and selling it as new. Between old thing A and new thing B, the only difference is the name.

Don't forget the box!!!

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

rebrand: product out the box, apply sticker, product in the box.

refresh: go back to the design stage, but instead of starting from scratch, start from the old product and go "where did we go wrong? what can we do right this time?"

a good example is haswell refresh, which boasted about fixing the thermal interface material.

Rebrand is also used on products that aren't made by company selling them. Like every EVGA product. They are made by some OEM manufacturer in Asia and EVGA just slaps their logos on. In some products like mobos, there's some minor influence on design, but they still are counted as rebrands.

Other examples are CoolerMasters Cloud headphones which are made by QPad.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv