Hybrid Storage

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey Captain_WD,

My desktop rig has more than one bay.  I currently have one 1TB Western Digital Black drive installed.

I would be loading my OS onto the SSD and using the HDD for everything else.  Was just wondering if it's a better buy for an SSHD on a desktop.

I wouldn't imagine so. Having two separate drives (SSD+HDD) on a desktop would be what I would prefer. Having your data on two separate drives gives you some safety in case something happens with one of the drives and needs replacement or if you need to simply move it on another computer. Moreover, you have the freedom to choose what to go on the SSD, regardless of how often it's used and you have much more space there while with a SSHD you can't decide what to be cached and you are limited to quite a small amount of fast storage. 
You plan seems pretty good (putting the OS on the SSD and use the HDD for everything else) :) this is what I would do. 

Captain_WD.

Was thinking of buying a hybrid SSD/HDD and was wondering if they are good or if I should just stick with buying seperately.

Here's the one I was considering buying by Western Digital. 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_1086_215_217&item_id=085020

Good idea? 

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

Buy a seperate SSD and HDD if you have the room for it.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Buy a seperate SSD and HDD if you have the room for it.

I absolutely have the room for it.  Was just wondering if it reduced speed/performance at all? 

if money is an issue then yes

Money is not an issue as long as it's >$250 CAD....

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

I absolutely have the room for it.  Was just wondering if it reduced speed/performance at all? 

Money is not an issue as long as it's >$200 CAD....

then get a SSD and a HDD. much better

Money is not an issue as long as it's >$250 CAD....

Buy a 120/250 gig SSD and a 1TB HDD depending on the price.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

then get a SSD and a HDD. much better

Okay, so that maximizes performance of writing/reading?

// Floatplane Pilot //

unless you absolutely need it for a laptop with only 1 drive bay, get a separate SSD+HDD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Okay, got it!

Thanks guys!

// Floatplane Pilot //

Was thinking of buying a hybrid SSD/HDD and was wondering if they are good or if I should just stick with buying seperately.

Here's the one I was considering buying by Western Digital. 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_1086_215_217&item_id=085020

Good idea? 

Hey there ShadowDeity,

SSHDs are great solutions for single-bay systems (usually laptops) that are mostly used only for a few things. They use an algorithm to determine what is mostly used on the system and store the load files of those applications (including the OS) on the SSD portion of the drive (which is usually 8GB) for much faster loading and smoother operation. The rest of the things work normally just as on any other HDD. 
Combining a standalone SSD with a separate HDD can have more benefits as you will have the freedom of choosing what to install and store on the SSD, have some redundancy of the data (of one drive fails, the other would be still healthy and accessible) and you will have much more space on the SSD at your disposal. 
What are you going to use the storage solution for? 
If you have a single-bay system and still need more performance, I can also suggest checking out WD Black2. It's a dual drive and, unlike hybrid drives, it consists of separate 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD part all in the same 2.5" form factor. The two parts of the drive work separately and are treated just as regular two separate physical drives. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ccHFm2

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there ShadowDeity,

SSHDs are great solutions for single-bay systems (usually laptops) that are mostly used only for a few things. They use an algorithm to determine what is mostly used on the system and store the load files of those applications (including the OS) on the SSD portion of the drive (which is usually 8GB) for much faster loading and smoother operation. The rest of the things work normally just as on any other HDD. 
Combining a standalone SSD with a separate HDD can have more benefits as you will have the freedom of choosing what to install and store on the SSD, have some redundancy of the data (of one drive fails, the other would be still healthy and accessible) and you will have much more space on the SSD at your disposal. 
What are you going to use the storage solution for? 
If you have a single-bay system and still need more performance, I can also suggest checking out WD Black2. It's a dual drive and, unlike hybrid drives, it consists of separate 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD part all in the same 2.5" form factor. The two parts of the drive work separately and are treated just as regular two separate physical drives. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ccHFm2

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

Hey Captain_WD,

My desktop rig has more than one bay.  I currently have one 1TB Western Digital Black drive installed.

I would be loading my OS onto the SSD and using the HDD for everything else.  Was just wondering if it's a better buy for an SSHD on a desktop.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Hey Captain_WD,

I wouldn't imagine so. Having two separate drives (SSD+HDD) on a desktop would be what I would prefer. Having your data on two separate drives gives you some safety in case something happens with one of the drives and needs replacement or if you need to simply move it on another computer. Moreover, you have the freedom to choose what to go on the SSD, regardless of how often it's used and you have much more space there while with a SSHD you can't decide what to be cached and you are limited to quite a small amount of fast storage. 
You plan seems pretty good (putting the OS on the SSD and use the HDD for everything else) :) this is what I would do. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/