My PS4 Sounds Like a Jet Engine

Gex

So I've had my PS4 over a year now and it's been pretty loud since I got it, more than what I would expect is acceptable for a living room device, but I figured consoles are shit and that's what I'll have to deal with when playing PS4 exclusives.

But it seems to have gotten much worse, I was playing Until Dawn for about 30mins or so and it sounded like it was going to take off!

Looking on the net it seems like it's a big problem but also very hit or miss.

Some people report their PS4 is as silent as a mouse even under load, others say the problem developed over time, other say they've had the issue from the beginning and had it exchanged under warranty, and the new one was just as bad.

A few people have said opening it up and replacing the thermal paste solved the issue and others say replacing the thermal paste made not difference.

Anyone had this problem, what do you suggest?

The company that handles the Warranty in my country will replace the console even if it's out of warranty for half the price of a new one, and the new one I get will have a 3 month warranty but they assure me it will be a new device so if it as noisy as the old one I can swap it out again, but obviously like to avoid that...

So I've had my PS4 over a year now and it's been pretty loud since I got it, more than what I would expect is acceptable for a living room device, but I figured consoles are shit and that's what I'll have to deal with when playing PS4 exclusives.

But it seems to have gotten much worse, I was playing Until Dawn for about 30mins or so and it sounded like it was going to take off!

Looking on the net it seems like it's a big problem but also very hit or miss.

Some people report their PS4 is as silent as a mouse even under load, others say the problem developed over time, other say they've had the issue from the beginning and had it exchanged under warranty, and the new one was just as bad.

A few people have said opening it up and replacing the thermal paste solved the issue and others say replacing the thermal paste made not difference.

Anyone had this problem, what do you suggest?

The company that handles the Warranty in my country will replace the console even if it's out of warranty for half the price of a new one, and the new one I get will have a 3 month warranty but they assure me it will be a new device so if it as noisy as the old one I can swap it out again, but obviously like to avoid that...

just replace the paste with some NT-H1 or something.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

My friend's PS4 is not quiet at all.. but not a jet engine too.

my PS3 was a jet engine, until I vacuumed the in+outtakes, so I would suggest trying that too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-snip-

Have you tried cleaning it? There is a button you press and the Console cleans itself.

edit: not a single button but more like a combination of buttons you press and it starts spinning the fans in reverse at full speed so it cleans itself. 

My Xbox one does that when it launches a game it only lasts about 10 seconds at a time though

Have you tried cleaning it? There is a button you press and the Console cleans itself.

edit: not a single button but more like a combination of buttons you press and it starts spinning the fans in reverse at full speed so it cleans itself. 

Erm... that's a fan test not a self clean haha

I guess I'll start with blowing it out, but I don't think it's over heating from dust since it was even pretty noisy from the start.

Well it's out if warranty so I guess if blowing it out doesn't work I'll try replace the thermal paste... such a mission though!

Mine is quiet... but it is in a cool arid environment.... perhaps there is a hairball in it.... if under warranty send it away for repair/replacement.

Erm... that's a fan test not a self clean haha

I guess I'll start with blowing it out, but I don't think it's over heating from dust since it was even pretty noisy from the start.

Well it's out if warranty so I guess if blowing it out doesn't work I'll try replace the thermal paste... such a mission though!

Well then it's a really good fan test, it blows all the dust out of my system, same story with my PS3.

hP8KksQ.gif

If it still has warranty, then go ahead and use it. There's a reason for them existing.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

My ps4 gets really loud even when i'm in voice chat alone or in rocket league. I vaccum my vents bi weekly and its always sucking cool air cause it's in my basement. My ps4 is only 9 months old too. Idk if i'll even send it in to be repaired, i wear a headset anyways

Well then it's a really good fan test, it blows all the dust out of my system, same story with my PS3.

Haha I'll give it a shot but the fan must already be blowing at full speed when I play a game

Clean console

New fan?

New thermal paste?

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

RMA if possible
Clean
Repaste
Move to a place with more air

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

My Ps4 had the same problem but it was because i had it in a tight spot were temperatures reached really high. So maybe that's why your ps4 is trying so hard to cool itself

My name Jeff

My PS4 is really loud when playing certain games like Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV Demo but is quiet with games like Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster. And yes , I love Final Fantasy games  :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

I have a new one and its very loud as well but with certain games such as rocket league or mgs ground zeroes in menus. I'm selling it as I don't use it since i have a good pc.