Best motherboard for gaming?

What is the best motherboard for gaming, i know asus has some really good ones but what is the best?

Asus Maximus VII Hero or Rampage.

CPU Intel Core i5 4670k 4.4Ghz Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming RAM Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400Mhz

GPU GIGABYTE GTX 780 Windforce 3X OC Case Cooler Master HAF XM Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB, Western Digital Blue 1TB

PSU Corsair RM 750 Display(s) Philips 22" Cooling Corsair H80i Keyboard OZONE Strike Pro

Mouse GIGABYTE M7 Thor Sound Genius 5.1 Surround Sound System Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Voltage Control NZXT Sentry 3

Anything is pretty much fine;

Buy on features/Overclocking Support - Even overclocking is not that motherboard dependant (for max clocks); its more chipset and CPU dependant.

Any Z170 Board will pretty much OC the same...

The only thing that is "maybe" nice is something like a killer NIC/upgraded intel NIC. But if you are buying a PC they are 75% gimmicks.. Lower CPU usage.. when in games you wont get 100% cpu usage anyway.

You don't really do anything with the "Gaming" features. But really the best stuff has a good nic maybe sli and good grade parts.

Asus ROG series.

MSI gaming series.

Asus sabertooths

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

You don't need gaming motherboard it's just marketing for gamers but has no difference from a good quality motherboard that isn't 'gaming'

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Typically the only thing I've noticed with a gaming motherboard is the overclocking stuff is slightly more obvious in the Bios

You don't need gaming motherboard it's just marketing for gamers but has no difference from a good quality motherboard that isn't 'gaming'

That's actually not true.. Gaming motherboards have more anti short circuit protection. The capacitors are also better.

CPU Intel Core i5 4670k 4.4Ghz Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming RAM Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400Mhz

GPU GIGABYTE GTX 780 Windforce 3X OC Case Cooler Master HAF XM Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB, Western Digital Blue 1TB

PSU Corsair RM 750 Display(s) Philips 22" Cooling Corsair H80i Keyboard OZONE Strike Pro

Mouse GIGABYTE M7 Thor Sound Genius 5.1 Surround Sound System Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Voltage Control NZXT Sentry 3

As has been said already, a motherboard can be as much for ``gaming´´ as a razer fruit bowl or a gaming edition bag of doritos.

Gaming motherboards usually look more flashy for more $ and have some gimmicks that dont really do anything, like audio on a seperated place on the pcb or

magical no lag ethernet ports.

That's actually not true.. Gaming motherboards have more anti short circuit protection. The capacitors are also better.

Which adds 50FPS to GTA V on average

Which adds 50FPS to GTA V on average

Sarcasm not needed. Those who are beginners and want to start gaming on their brand new rig are most likely unexperienced builders and could burn something if they connected it wrong. Therefore, gaming motherboards have better protection for its components. Don't tell me it's not true. Try to burn a fan connector on a modern gaming motherboard and on a cheapo, watch and wow.

Sarcasm not needed. Those who are beginners and want to start gaming on their brand new rig are most likely unexperienced builders and could burn something if they connected it wrong. Therefore, gaming motherboards have better protection for its components. Don't tell me it's not true. Try to burn a fan connector on a modern gaming motherboard and on a cheapo, watch and wow.

...and that's worth the vast amount of money extra.

...and that's worth the vast amount of money extra.

Actually.. spending a few more bucks for a gaming mobo with anti-circuit protection (which trust me, is worth it) is better than buying a new 600$ gpu ;)

I still dont get why the Rampage V is marketed as a gaming motherboard... It really isnt.

Its a great board; but hardly gamery.

The amount of stupidities you can read on these forums is astounding.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The amount of stupidities you can read on these forums is astounding.

Was that quoting my posts?

Was that quoting my posts?

how do you know? go figure...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

how do you know? go figure...

is there anything that's not true? stop being rude..

is there anything that's not true? stop being rude..

Ok sorry!

Gaming marketed motherboards are not necesseraly any better, they do not by default feature better components and/or more extended overvoltage protections like you claim they do. They do not necesseraly come with premium components such has high quality multi-phase voltage regulation modules for example. Those are more typicaly found on OVERCLOCKING oriented motherboards for example, such as the Mpower boards from MSI or SOC from gigabyte or even some higher-end extreme series board from Asrock...Those are the type of boards with extra surge protection for example and higher quality components throughout.

NOW, what ''gaming marketed'' motherboard have to offer in extra over more typical lower-end boards usualy is slightly upgraded audio chips (not always), killer nics to allow user to prioritize gaming related packets (not always) and more agressive styling with black and red dragons and shit (that...always...who doesnt want a sexy black and red board with dragons on it and shit...i do :))

now, i have to agree that ''MOST'' of those gaming oriented boards are a bit better than average, but it's not universal and you tend to pay a big premium for the look and marketing...for example a 160$ gaming marketed board from MSI or gigabyte will most certainly have cheaper components than a non-gaming marketed (standard) 160$ board from ASUS or Asrock for example...which in turn will have lesser quality components than an higher-end enthusiast oriented overclocking motherboard such as the MSI Mpower or SOC from gigabyte for example.

Also true is that SOME of these gaming boards like the very high-end ones like the Z97 gaming 9 for example WILL have premium top of the line components shared from the overclocking motherboards, but they are significantly more expensive as well.

At the end of the day, the extra features from gaming boards are mostly gimmicks...you want to pay extra for the bad ass dragon then fine with me i own one i'm not bashing on them i love gaming marketing and sexy dragons for sure...but if you want to pay for premium top shelf components and higher-quality boards that will last longer than typical boards, overclocking motherboards are the ones to look at and not the gaming one.

2000639300.png

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

snip!

:P

46724_03_msi-teases-z170a-xpower-gaming-

:P

46724_03_msi-teases-z170a-xpower-gaming-

5960x is much better for gaming, especially with 3 or 4 cards.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

5960x is much better for gaming, especially with 3 or 4 cards.

the Z170 board looks much better though, and you've got to be quite dumb to use 3 or 4 graphics card...

the Z170 board looks much better though, and you've got to be quite dumb to use 3 or 4 graphics card...

Quite dumb? Why? If someone card afford it...

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU