My S5 has an arm snapdragon cpu with 4 cores 2.5 ghz per core. Now my Intel cpu in my MacBook pro has an i5 2.4 ghz 4 core. Does that mean that my phone is more powerfully than my mac? I'm at a losz

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Different kind of CPU, so no

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

no, its not.

the cores on a snapdragon cpu are a lot less powerful than the cores on your i5

GHZ DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Different kind of CPU, so no

But what's the difference than? It's 2.4 GHz...

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

My S5 has an arm snapdragon cpu with 4 cores 2.5 ghz per core. Now my Intel cpu in my MacBook pro has an i5 2.4 ghz 4 core. Does that mean that my phone is more powerfully than my mac? I'm at a losz

heat and power are different on a notebook vs. phone processor that is why clock speed change

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

But what's the difference than? It's 2.4 GHz...

I don't know the exact difference.. but it's the same way a laptop i5 generally isn't as powerful as a desktop i5

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I don't know the exact difference.. but it's the same way a laptop i5 generally isn't as powerful as a desktop i5

Does anyone know??

Does anyone know??

laptop vs mobile... you are probably looking at half the realistic performance..

Do a simple test...

take a 2GB movie file

Move it from one folder to another on PC

Move it from internal memory to SD card on phone..

the slowest one sucks the most

You are comparing two types of CPUs here. ARM's have less transistors for less of "everything" and are not to be compared to complex instruction processors. Also clock speeds do not mean its better.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

EDIT: @Levent did a great job at linking wikipedia, which i forgot to do... :/

cores and GHz isnt everything.

theres two other REALLY important points of data.

1: performance per clock, for example: we get two different CPUs with the same amount of cores, put them both at the same clock speed, one will perform better than the other.

2: what instructionset is avaliable.

NOW. this is a REALLY complex topic, which for the home user is best simplified down to only a smaller set of instructions.

lets say DeuRiM (totally not a play on somethingsomthing) wants to make a new coffee machine, and for that needs a processor to handle their pad DRM.

they have two options: one can execute 5 operations per second, but can only add and divide.

the other one is more complex, but slower, allowing 1 operation per second, but also able to multiply and divide.

--

lets say their DRM only requires adding and substracting to confirm you're not using asianpad™ cheapo pads.

in this case the first processor is 5 times as fast as the second, and thus the better option.

now lets say they did that, and their DRM got cracked by asianpad™ so they need to make a new machine, with new DRM.

they decide to go for a more complex system where they also need to multiply.

they now have two options: either software-emulate multiplying by adding a certain amount of times, or go for the more complex processor that handles multiplying by itself, trading in execution speed.

if every time they need to multiply they need to add more than 5 times, the second processor is faster at multiplying.

i guess this sort of paints a picture of what i'm leading on to.

your phone is a RISC processor, meaning it has Reduced  available instructions, but can execute these much quicker.

your computer is a CISC processor, meaning it has Complex available instructions (more, much more diverse instructions) but it is generally slower at executing them.

RISC is set to execute one instruction per clock pulse, while CISC needs multiple, and in modern cpu architecture makes use of a "pipeline" executing multiple in a transport belt type situation.

--

what i'm getting at is before mentioned processors cannot be really compared numerically in terms of performance, but it can be said one is better at executing a certain task than the other, while for other tasks, the other may be better. 

Not all GHz are equal.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

News for you: your macbook has a DUAL CORE i5 with hyperthreading. Which is still much faster than what's in your phone. Flat specs are meaningless unless we're talking about the same architecture.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*