Computer randomly shuts down under load

Go to solution Solved by Quiet_One,

Does the computer restart or freeze?

If your computer just restarts it can be a problem with your fan speed controller on you power supply unit. Had the issue with two PSU that I own; where the PSU does not give enough power for the fan to start spinning and it over heats and turns off. Figured this out after feeling the temperature of the PSU after a shutdown. Ended up RMA that PSU. Temporary fix before the RMA was to blast the PSU fan with compressed air to get it spinning.

Hope this helps.

I have a really powerful computer in a lian li tu200. I know that it can get hot inside sometimes, but the temps never seem to get too high. But still there are random shutdowns. I was playing a computer game a few minutes ago and it just froze and then my headphones started playing static and the screen froze as well. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know that my computer has a high enough wattage power supply as it is a 1000w psu. I also looked into the windows event viewer and all I saw was the report that an unexpected shutdown occurred.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Mine keeps doing this. I think its windows 10.

I guess it could be I do have windows 10 installed. Maybe I should boot into linux and run a stress test to see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't crash.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Are you overclocked, maybe it is not as stable as you think it is?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

look at windows event viewer and look at what caused it to shut down

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you overclocked, maybe it is not as stable as you think it is?

nope stock speeds :(

look at windows event viewer and look at what caused it to shut down

the only thing it reports as critical is the power down. It doesn't show anything else. Would it be in another category?

Perhaps you should get a program that shows your temps and watch them as you do something on load or run a stress test just to make sure that it isn't your pc overheating.

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

It happens when GPU driver not installed correctly or it may be corrupted somehow.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the GPU driver.

Then download the latest GPU driver from the manufacturer's website.

Make sure you download drivers for Windows 10.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

It happens when GPU driver not installed correctly or it may be corrupted somehow.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the GPU driver.

Then download the latest GPU driver from the manufacturer's website.

Make sure you download drivers for Windows 10.

Is this something you have come across before?

Is this something you have come across before?

Yep, Experienced this with my Nvidia GPU.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Does the computer restart or freeze?

If your computer just restarts it can be a problem with your fan speed controller on you power supply unit. Had the issue with two PSU that I own; where the PSU does not give enough power for the fan to start spinning and it over heats and turns off. Figured this out after feeling the temperature of the PSU after a shutdown. Ended up RMA that PSU. Temporary fix before the RMA was to blast the PSU fan with compressed air to get it spinning.

Hope this helps.

I have this with my over the top watercooled machine. I have tried overvolting the CPU, underclocking the CPU, doing the same to the GPU (390x), running memtest overnight, and nothing helped. Its just windows being... windows.