SATA too USB 3.0 for software and games?

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

Is it possible to put software and games on an internal hard drive, and properly play them somewhere else using SATA too USB 3.0?

Thanks in advance!

(Side question: What's a good SATA too USB 3.0 Adapter?)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Is it possible to put software and games on an internal hard drive, and properly play them somewhere else using SATA too USB 3.0?

Thanks in advance!

Not when certain programs put stuff in the registry and also NOT in the program directory (Like the Users/Username/APPDATA folder containing your settings, not the program directory itself)

What you wanna look for/google is "Portable Apps" , they dont install to your PC, but TO the folder on the USB drive. but as far as portable games go, none are worth playing (none are AAA title, most are kiddy shit games)

I have a 2.5" Sata3 enclosure ($25) and put my spare SSD's in there.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thanks in advance!

Yes it will be seen as a USB drive by your computer

These are handy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Docking-Station-Function-Tool-free/dp/B00LN0GX4I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440678407&sr=8-4&keywords=sata+usb+dock

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

yes, it'll work just like an external hard drive. Thermaltake, I think has a HDD enclosure called the Blax or some crap, and Linus said it was pretty good. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

No1 gets it....Apart from finding the right enclosure/external drive, it still may be impossible.

HE WANTS TO INSTALL GAMES TO THIS DRIVE, AND LETS SAY.......TAKE IT TO ANOTHER HOUSE AND PLAY THEM WITHOUT REINSTALLING THEM.

Sorry for the caps, but it will be read.

Not gunna work with all games and programs I can say that (I've tried before), but give it a go, the ones that require files/settings from other directories and the registry likely will not launch at all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It will work for some games that keep all the data required in one place, but for the majority of AAA games, it won't work, as they tend to store information in hidden folders on the OS drive. 

okay I'm going to make some assumptions.

You're actually talking about eSATA. it was supposed to be a standard, but it didn't happen. What did happen was SATA3 transfer speeds with an external power source. Yes it is far faster than usb 3.0, but it requires an external power source, and mosty vendors didn't support it.

A modern OS doesn't care where your crap is stored. It just needs registry links for certain lower level communication.After that you could run the program from 5 1/4 floppies for all the OS actually cared.

okay I'm going to make some assumptions.

You're actually talking about eSATA. it was supposed to be a standard, but it didn't happen. What did happen was SATA3 transfer speeds with an external power source. Yes it is far faster than usb 3.0, but it requires an external power source, and mosty vendors didn't support it.

A modern OS doesn't care where your crap is stored. It just needs registry links for certain lower level communication.After that you could run the program from 5 1/4 floppies for all the OS actually cared.

No, he is talking about SATA to USB... His (internal) drive will be SATA, so he needs a SATA to USB3 adapter. He could also use a SATA to eSATA converter/enclosure, but not every board has an eSATA port and USB in general is more common, so if he forgets a cable, it's more likely for someone to have one spare.

Personally, I use an external enclosure to have two drives outside of my PC, connected via eSATA. Love the connection, but not everything supports it. 

No, he is talking about SATA to USB... His drive will be SATA, so he needs a SATA to USB3 adapter. He could also use a SATA to eSATA converter/enclosure, but not every board has an eSATA port and USB in general is more common, so if he forgets a cable, it's more likely for someone to have one spare.

In that case not a single person has answered the secondary question. We've all agreed that the first doesn't matter a damn.

I'll be honest here, external hardware enclosures are a dime a dozen. pick one up, make sure it's compatible with usb 3.0 standard, and it really doesn't matter after that.

I'll be honest here, external hardware enclosures are a dime a dozen. pick one up, make sure it's compatible with usb 3.0 standard, and it really doesn't matter after that.

Very true, there are so many out there, as long as its USB 3.0, your good to go.

Just make sure you (op) plug it into the USB 3.0 ports or you'll end up with 38-48Mb/s max from Sata2 speeds, not the drives 90-120Mb/s max it can do.