Define R5 Window/Air Flow

I am buying a new case tomorrow, most likely the R5. Do any users who have the Windowed R5 know if it scratches easily (like an NZXT S340 or my current case)? I am also torn on how to mount my radiator. I have a 240mm radiator. I think that I should mount it in the front (remove drive cages) and put it to push. I am worried about my already hot Titan X (though I am putting an ACX 2.0 on it). If I mount it on top, I am making a big compromise on the acoustics (need to remove moduvents). Thanks - Covert

better to mount rad in front. otherwise the heat of the gpu gets in the RAD on top.

I would buy the regular R5 and buy Plexiglass sheet at homedepot for $15, like I did.. you can decide the size of the window you want. Mod the panel, if u can. otherwise buy windored version.

Also look up the Define S. I took the R5 because the S wasn't out yet. But if i had to buy a case right now it would be the Define S.

I like the extra noise dampening of the R5, more front I/O ports, 5 1/4 bays, etc.

I am buying a new case tomorrow, most likely the R5. Do any users who have the Windowed R5 know if it scratches easily (like an NZXT S340 or my current case)? I am also torn on how to mount my radiator. I have a 240mm radiator. I think that I should mount it in the front (remove drive cages) and put it to push. I am worried about my already hot Titan X (though I am putting an ACX 2.0 on it). If I mount it on top, I am making a big compromise on the acoustics (need to remove moduvents). Thanks - Covert

Put the rad on push/pull on the front. That way you'll get great airflow for your GPU. I know it doesn't make much difference in CPU temps but it can provide wicked airflow without removing the top modu vents. I would put a focused airflow fan on pull so you get more direct air to your GPU and mobo. AP123, AP121, NF-F12, NF-P12, even spectre pros, you will run them slowly anyway since it's push/pull, it's just taking advantage of the arquitecture of those fans.

If i sounded a bit bossy, this is just a sugestion.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Put the rad on push/pull on the front. That way you'll get great airflow for your GPU. I know it doesn't make much difference in CPU temps but it can provide wicked airflow without removing the top modu vents. I would put a focused airflow fan on pull so you get more direct air to your GPU and mobo. AP123, AP121, NF-F12, NF-P12, even spectre pros, you will run them slowly anyway since it's push/pull, it's just taking advantage of the arquitecture of those fans.

If i sounded a bit bossy, this is just a sugestion.

I'm afraid that it will be warm airflow.

I'm afraid that it will be warm airflow.

Not at all, same principle as why the order of a water cooling loop doesnt matter, fluids don't heat up significantly by passing by warm objects, maybe a degree. The reason i'm recomending it is because i changed to that config and the temps of my GPU went down 5 degrees compared to pull, so did the mobo VRMs, so it worked great for me.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Not at all, same principle as why the order of a water cooling loop doesnt matter, fluids don't heat up significantly by passing by warm objects, maybe a degree. The reason i'm recomending it is because i changed to that config and the temps of my GPU went down 5 degrees compared to pull, so did the mobo VRMs, so it worked great for me.

That's strange, the fans are meant to exhaust the heat from the rad, theoretically heating up the GPU.

HardwareCanucks did a review of the R5 and they have what they call "the fingernail scratch test" where they use their finger nail to scratch the window. The R5 failed miserably similar to the S340.

HardwareCanucks did a review of the R5 and they have what they call "the fingernail scratch test" where they use their finger nail to scratch the window. The R5 failed miserably similar to the S340.

Damn. Off to Home Depot like @Dabasepc suggested.

I may have mislead. It was the review of the Define S and the R5 video was the windowless version. I'd imagine it would be the same material though.

There's the video of the review. Skip to 2:15 for the test.

That's strange, the fans are meant to exhaust the heat from the rad, theoretically heating up the GPU.

Well, in practice the difference is miniscule, and if you do push/pull is actually better than 2 intake fans.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

see lol http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-18-in-x-24-in-x-220-in-Acrylic-Sheet-MC-21/202038050 this is 18 inches x 24 inches.

My local store has thse for like $15 and it worked pretty good. My entire side pannel is a window, i ditched the rigid side panel lol. if i want silent pc, i just put back the rigid panel with sound damping material. thats it.

see lol http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-18-in-x-24-in-x-220-in-Acrylic-Sheet-MC-21/202038050 this is 18 inches x 24 inches.

My local store has thse for like $15 and it worked pretty good. My entire side pannel is a window, i ditched the rigid side panel lol. if i want silent pc, i just put back the rigid panel with sound damping material. thats it.

10,27 here http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-18-in-x-24-in-x-0-093-in-Clear-Acrylic-Sheet-Glass-Replacement-MC-05/202038047?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202038050-_-202038047-_-N