iOS at 85% Adoption, Google Quiet About Lollipop

Suika

f51362893f72b07f5dab9a2011170314.png

(click for sauce)

I can praise Apple for support, but I love my G4 so much more than an iPhone 6.

Funnily enough I recently got into an argument with my Dad and spending money on phones, and he brought up the comment that with an iPhone, the amount of support they receive and how long these devices actually lasts outweighs the fact that an LG G4 or Galaxy S6 might have a better camera now, because chances are that next year, the phones will see their final update (from the manufacturer), while an iPhone 4S JUST lost update support. On that same note comes the article.

Apple has some impressive numbers on iOS 8 adoption, 85% in fact. The majority of activated and regularly used devices are running the latest version of iOS, which is rather impressive but actually not too shocking given how easy updates are on iOS.

Apple has revealed that 85 percent of iPhone and iPad users are running iOS 8, while Google is keeping mysteriously quiet on Lollipop adoption figures. Apple, as it does monthly, has updated its iOS developer portal to show that more and more people are updating to the newest version of its mobile software. As it stands, 85 percent of iPhones and iPads are running iOS 8, while 13 percent run iOS 7 and two percent cling on to an earlier version of iOS.

The question I have then is why those 2% of users don't want to move on from older versions of iOS? Maybe just older folk who don't use their phones outside of making calls, and don't understand or need updates? Whichever the cause it is weird that anybody would prefer to stay on older versions.

Google, however, has been really quiet on Lollipop. The last update we saw on adoption numbers for lollipop was June 1st, and that was only at 12.4% as opposed to Apple's much larger 85%. Other numbers show KitKat at 40%, Jelly been at 37%, and even older versions at 6% or below.

It's a gloomier picture over at Camp Google. Like Apple, the firm typically updates its adoption figures monthly, but a quick visit to Google's Android developer portal shows that the firm hasn't done so since 1 June. It's unclear why, and we've put the question to Google, but the lack of an update suggests that the newest version of Android isn't being adopted quite so widely. Lollipop was running on 12.4 percent of Android smartphones and tablets on 1 June, a far cry from the 85 percent figure touted by Apple.

What's more, Android 5.0 accounts for 11.6 percent of devices, while Google's newer 5.1 version powers just 0.8 percent. The almost two month old figures also show that Android 4.4 Kitkat is still sitting pretty on 39.2 percent of Android devices, while Jelly Bean has a 37.4 percent share. Even older versions of the software, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread and Froyo, can be found on 5.1 percent, 5.6 percent and 0.3 percent of Android devices respectively.

This isn't entirely Google's fault, considering it's also up to the phone/tablet manufacturer's discretion to update Android on their devices, but it does show that an iPhone will always get an update until it's cut out of Apple's support window, and people are almost always willing to update to it. When Lollipop was first released on the Nexus 5, I had to stay back on KitKat for awhile due to issues such as memory leak.

That's all without consideration of the more enthusiastic type, who'll go through the effort of rooting and installing ROMs making devices last longer than they could without, but that's not every users, that's not even the average user.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

google doesnt really care one way or the other since it doesnt have any  real control

i dislike the link from theinquirer

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

That is bloody outstanding tbh

The question I have then is why those 2% of users don't want to move on from older versions of iOS? Maybe just older folk who don't use their phones outside of making calls, and don't understand or need updates? Whichever the cause it is weird that anybody would prefer to stay on older versions.

Either older people who dont understand how.... OR most likely, business that have specific apps and software on locked down ipads, or software that will not run on new devices/versions of iOS etc

Like for example say a hospital that uses a specific iPad app, might not bother updating as they might only use one app

Could also be people on super old devices 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I honestly kind of hate Lollipop.  There are so many goddamn problems with it.  I keep having to flash files to fix issues.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

well, you also have to keep in mind that apple users are somewhat forced to update or they cant download a lot of apps on the store

Stupid iOS 7/8 skin that i hate that makes me want to downgrade to iOS 6. I'm using to using iOS 4 on my 3G and used to old layout. I'm probs have to jailbreak my iPod Touch 5G to downgrade to iOS 6.

That's my reason, i hate iOS 7/8.

YT is locked to 7 and up so i'm screwed if i want to go back to 6.....

That is bloody outstanding tbh

Either older people who dont understand how.... OR most likely, business that have specific apps and software on locked down ipads, or software that will not run on new devices/versions of iOS etc

Like for example say a hospital that uses a specific iPad app, might not bother updating as they might only use one app

Could also be people on super old devices 

Health care is actually a big one. We have modern implementations, it just takes a LONG time to develop proper applications given how secure and private our work product needs to be. You'll see some of your doctors utilizing tablets and dedicated apps to view your charts and scans - but those apps are highly locked down and exceptionally hard to break into short of social engineering, and for a reason. So the software doesn't up and change on a yearly basis. What works, stays. More or less. 

@Suika, awesome post! This is what I was expecting when I came to this site, solid work. 

@Suika, awesome post! This is what I was expecting when I came to this site, solid work. 

Thank you. I'm usually very good at news posts, but when you have kids copying and pasting all of the good articles before you can even complete yours, it's difficult to get quality content in.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The only reason my mom upgraded from her 3G was because she had to switch carriers (the 3G wasn't supported) and because the battery life was getting pretty poor. And I'm still using my first gen touch for a music player for my car, and my dad does the same. So there's three devices running 3.1.3, two of which are still being used and one of which would be if the battery life didn't get as bad as it did. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

After moving to Android for the first time for a couple of years, I might head back to a 6S if/when it comes.

Notice how 6S when pronounced sounds like "success"?

Updates often also depend on carrier approval too, Verizon likes to take their time...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Whichever the cause it is weird that anybody would prefer to stay on older versions.

What about those who are using older devices like the iPod 4th gen or the original iPad. I think that is most of those who didn't update to IOS 7 or newer.

It's all down to apple being the manufacturer of the phone and the developer of software while Google is only the developer. Same shit will be with windows 7 and windows 8.1. Heck windows xp is still being used.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I honestly kind of hate Lollipop.  There are so many goddamn problems with it.  I keep having to flash files to fix issues.

Get a better ROM then, its not lollipop its the bad ROM you have

Get a better ROM then, its not lollipop its the bad ROM you have

nah it's definitely lollipop.  tried several.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Lollipop is bad. I've not heard of a single person not having problems with it, across many different devices.

So that might account for lollipops bad adoption

Also Android device vendors abandon their device after a few months so not many devices have gotten a lollipop update yet and they will not get it ever

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

The Apple side is impressive and the android side is to be expected. Fragmentation and android skins will do that to you. When I had an iPhone it was cool updating to the next iteration of iOS and immediately seeing all of my apps ready with updates to support the next version. 

Also it's cool to see a thread where people can say Apple is doing something well without people mindlessly lashing out at the company. 

Lolipop has been nothing but problems for me getting rid of widgets really hurt in used them a lot, not to mention the technical side I have had memory leaks, lower battery life, and I have to clear my cache every 2 weeks or my phone gets slow.

Oh and I almost forgot the confusing things they are doing with the silent mode it changes a lot in have been late several times because of it muting my alarms

IMO Android Lollipop is ridiculously ugly, so I really don't want to update to it. Eventhough my OPO has the touchscreen issue, I ain't gonna update to Android Lollipop.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just letting you know Apple is extremely well know for neutering all capabilities of phones running old os version (many apps won't be allowed to be updated, or installed) between that and them basically forcing the new os down your throat ofc adoption is high.

One actually would expect it to be higher until you recall the seemingly constant issues people have with last generation devices that run significantly worse on newer ios iterations (read basically unusable. Major issue with iPhone 4s and before). Indeed lollipops issues with older devices are child's play with the way iPhone 4s ran on penultimate iOS.

This is interesting facts to bring up but is in no way indicative of a good job or bad job by Apple.

Just my two cents.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Because every Visual and UI change in Lollipop is fucking garbage compared to Kitkat. Although still decades better than iCrApple.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Can someone explain to me why adaption even matters. Other then having a split ecosystem as all android apps run on all other versions of android (correct?).

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard