Ghetto modded Noctua onto GTX 980

bomerr

How?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

wow neato!  how does this fit into your case though?

It would just use more pcie slots.

I'd like to see some more pictures as to how it fits though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It would just use more pcie slots.

I'd like to see some more pictures as to how it fits though.

What ^he said. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

is this possible on an r9 270x or gtx 970? also did you attach fans to it? how is it cooled

Just don't orient it normally with the cooler facing downwards. Turn the case sideways so it's sitting like the pictures inside the computer.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Just don't orient it normally with the cooler facing downwards. Turn the case sideways so it's sitting like the pictures inside the computer.

easier said then done

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Originally I wanted to install my H100i onto the 980 instead. But I ran into an issue with the frontplate(?) in that it covers the VRAM and raises the surface above the gpu die. I found out it's possible to order copper shims from Amazon to put on top of the GPU but my 4k display is coming tomorrow and I didn't want to wait for shipping. 

Other option would be to pay for a kraken g10 or some other kit but i didn't feel like spending the cash considering the EVGA hybrid looks nicer. 

The mod is pretty easy to do. Hardest part is removing the stock heatsink. I just used 2 bolts, washers and nuts from ACE Hardware to secure the new gpu onto the PCB. Most important part is not to over tighten or else you might damage the board. Those youtube videos from other people really helped me a lot. 

Noctua barely fits into. Fan does not tho so I'll need a smaller 120mm.

I think a Evo 212 would be a better option overall but I didn't feel like purchasing one as I already had the noctua on hand. 

post-145380-0-24688800-1436832079_thumb.

post-145380-0-14869500-1436832093_thumb.

post-145380-0-27990300-1436832101_thumb.

post-145380-0-14102100-1436832120_thumb.

post-145380-0-36399500-1436832127_thumb.

rip pci slot

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Thats awesome, temps?

I'm running 1.28v on the GPU.

@ 1440p I was hitting 84C.

@ 4k that temp jumped to 89+ X_X and I HAD TO SHUT DOWN THE PC!!!

Now it's hovering around 60C @ 4K. 

So about a 33% reduction in temps. 

Nice! Too bad I'm not willing to do this to my ref 980. I miss silence!! Not as much as i like the card thou. Have you seen what this opened up for oc headroom yet?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Originally I wanted to install my H100i onto the 980 instead. But I ran into an issue with the frontplate(?) in that it covers the VRAM and raises the surface above the gpu die. I found out it's possible to order copper shims from Amazon to put on top of the GPU but my 4k display is coming tomorrow and I didn't want to wait for shipping. 

Other option would be to pay for a kraken g10 or some other kit but i didn't feel like spending the cash considering the EVGA hybrid looks nicer. 

well you get the benefit of reusing the G10 & AiO cooler for your next gpu upgrade..

i7 4770 w/ Hyper 212X | Asus Z97-C | 16GB DDR3 | Inno3D GTX970 w/ Kraken G10 + Corsair H75 | Crucial M550 128GB SSD & 1TB Hitachi HDD | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Win 7 64

That looks pretty awesome. I love it. ha ;)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

i bet a slim 120mm noctua would slip in there nicely if you had one 

I'm running 1.28v on the GPU.

@ 1440p I was hitting 84C.

@ 4k that temp jumped to 89+ X_X and I HAD TO SHUT DOWN THE PC!!!

Now it's hovering around 60C @ 4K. 

90C made you shut down the PC?

It's designed to run 85C - 90C. It will clock down if it gets too hot.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

DIYperks did this a while back....

--- edit---

someone beat me to it

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

@bomerr

How did you get it to fit in a Mac Pro/G5 case? What mods did you have to do?

Does the front panel work?

@bomerr

How did you get it to fit in a Mac Pro/G5 case? What mods did you have to do?

Does the front panel work?

I might be wrong but it seems like there shouldn't be any mods needed to fit it in the case. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.