Should I return the two 390x’s that I purchased and get two 980 ti’s instead? Please help me decide!

390X = OCed 290X + driver optimization. 

Uh uh uh http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Catalyst-155-1515-Performance-Check-Validating-AMD-R9-390-Testing  ;)

You want to have a powerful PC, that will last you 4-5 years, so 980 Ti's are the way to go imo.

That's what people with 780 ti's said a year ago, but now.... Eh..... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Im using a i7-2600k for about 4 years now.

I had used my GTX460 for about 5years until i freshly upgraded it to a gtx970 2month ago.

And i havnt had any issues playing on my 22inch 720p Monitor which was standard when i bought it a long time ago.

Seriously there wasnt any reason to upgrade, i just made it because i wanted to revamp my old hardware for the fun of it,

getting a new case, getting a new monitor, getting a new graphics card.

Maybe getting a new PSU is the next step.. maybe a custom water loop after that or SLI, Don't know how far i want to push it. 
Maybe ill just go for a complete new RIG when pascal or volta (in3years) and skylake are available and use my 2600k rig as a streaming Plattform or Guest Gaming PC.

The reason why im writing this is simple.

Hardware lasts more then long enough when you are not trying to stay on the highest edge of performance of freshly released hardware.

Sometimes its better to stay with your Hardware waiting stuff out until you run into a performance leak which could lower your fun while gaming.

It also safes you alot of money. In your case it isnt because of the powerdraw of your amd cards... but thats a different story.

I would in your case just return 1card or return both to get 1 single GTX980ti. This will definitly decrease your sick powerconsumption (safe the earth you know). 

And will last for the next 3 years until you probably want to buy a whole new PC anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

November of 2013 was 365 days ago?

1.5 years actually 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

780 TI's are still very much high end. If I remember right they are near 980 levels of performance at stock.  

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

780 TI's are still very much high end. If I remember right they are near 980 levels of performance at stock.  

before nvidia raped its performance with drivers yes. Now they are worse then 970s

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

before nvidia raped its performance with drivers yes. Now they are worse then 970s

Where did you get that from? http://www.bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/

Proof that performance has just gone up since the start with small dips every now and then.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Can two 390x's consistently maintain 60+ FPS in 4k at ultra settings?

Not even 2x 980TIs can. At least not in all games. Witcher 3 for example. And these are much more powerful cards.

That said, in Battlefield 4, a single 980TI is enough for 60 fps. 

Depends on the game, really.

Where did you get that from? http://www.bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/

Proof that performance has just gone up since the start with small dips every now and then.

wow cool, good to know, just heard it everywhere.. ^^ But good to know it isnt true though.. thank you

970s have been able to trade blows with 780 ti's for a while now. Especially the G1 gaming.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

I have had dual 290X's witch perform worse handle triple 1080p with everything maxed and get over 70 fps solid, dual 390X's will easily perform over 60 fps on 4K.

I wouldn't say you could get full 60 fps on all games at 4K. You can't really take his 290X's testimonial even with 3 monitors. Ultra settings are killer at 4K and that doesn't even include anti-aliasing. Granted AA isn't needed but at 4K even Titan X's and 295x2's get hammered at 4K.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

You made your bed, now sleep in it!

Why should you be allowed to return a purchase just because you' change your mind'.

Not fair on the retailer, nor the next person they on sell your cards to. 

Learn to do your research before splashing the cash!

Uh uh uh http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Catalyst-155-1515-Performance-Check-Validating-AMD-R9-390-Testing  ;)

That's what people with 780 ti's said a year ago, but now.... Eh..... 

The fact that GTA 5 performs better with 15.15 is a proof that they did something with that driver. Whatever they did, it doesn't seem to improve performance across the board. It could be anything, like tessellation, driver overhead... and it won't manifest unless the game benefits from that particular improvement. Like when Nvidia reduced driver overhead, it only increased performance when draw calls were the bottleneck.

Either way, 390X is still just an OCed 290X. 

And regarding Kepler cards, it's never proven that Nvidia purposely gimped the drivers. Perhaps they stopped optimizing the driver for them. But they did address the issue, didn't they? Latest drivers are supposed to improve performance. I've heard people reporting 5 fps more or so.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

The fact that GTA 5 performs better with 15.15 is a proof that they did something with that driver. Whatever they did, it doesn't seem to improve performance across the board. It could be anything, like tessellation, driver overhead... and it won't manifest unless the game benefits from that particular improvement. Like when Nvidia reduced driver overhead, it only increased performance when draw calls were the bottleneck.

Either way, 390X is still just an OCed 290X. 

And regarding Kepler cards, it's never proven that Nvidia purposely gimped the drivers. Perhaps they stopped optimizing the driver for them. But they did address the issue, didn't they? Latest drivers are supposed to improve performance. I've heard people reporting 5 fps more or so.

So what's the take away? While in Grand Theft Auto V there is some performance delta between Catalyst 15.5 and Catalyst 15.15 with the R9 290, that is not the case in Battlefield 4 or Metro: Last Light. (Note: the results at 4K testing, which I did run, showed identical behavior to the 2560x1440 testing shown above.) It makes sense that GTA V would see some improvement in gaming experience with a newer driver as it is still a new title getting updates and fixes from both AMD and NVIDIA.  BF4 and Metro: LL are quite a bit longer in the tooth and thus the lack of change is expected.

440 more for GPU's is a lot but I can't really talk because I sold my 980s for 980 ti's. Me personally, I would do it. The 980 ti is WAY better than 390x's. I had dual 290x's and my 970's beat those and when I upgraded to my 980's it was an even bigger gap. The 980 ti is obviously even that much better than the 980 so speaking from experience and not reading about it I would highly recommend upgrading since returning them won't cost you anything.

Did you notice a significant increase in your FPS at 4K resolution when you switched from dual 980's to dual 980 ti's?

Return and get two furyx;s?

The fury X only has 4 GB of vram, and I don't want to have to mess with trying to fit two radiators/fans into my case. And it's just as expensive (if not more) than a 980 ti.

Im using a i7-2600k for about 4 years now.

I had used my GTX460 for about 5years until i freshly upgraded it to a gtx970 2month ago.

And i havnt had any issues playing on my 22inch 720p Monitor which was standard when i bought it a long time ago.

Seriously there wasnt any reason to upgrade, i just made it because i wanted to revamp my old hardware for the fun of it,

getting a new case, getting a new monitor, getting a new graphics card.

Maybe getting a new PSU is the next step.. maybe a custom water loop after that or SLI, Don't know how far i want to push it. 

Maybe ill just go for a complete new RIG when pascal or volta (in3years) and skylake are available and use my 2600k rig as a streaming Plattform or Guest Gaming PC.

The reason why im writing this is simple.

Hardware lasts more then long enough when you are not trying to stay on the highest edge of performance of freshly released hardware.

Sometimes its better to stay with your Hardware waiting stuff out until you run into a performance leak which could lower your fun while gaming.

It also safes you alot of money. In your case it isnt because of the powerdraw of your amd cards... but thats a different story.

I would in your case just return 1card or return both to get 1 single GTX980ti. This will definitly decrease your sick powerconsumption (safe the earth you know). 

And will last for the next 3 years until you probably want to buy a whole new PC anyway.

A single 980 ti is not going to be nearly enough to play at 4K resolution on ultra settings and consistently maintain 60+ FPS. 

I seen a video of this guy trying to show some benchmarks on 2 cards. One 390 and one 390X. So he takes out his 290X tri-X and puts in the 390X and nothing...black screen. Same with the 390...black screen.  Both cards never showed ANY output, was so crazy. Puts back in the Tri-X boom, windows.

What are the chances of him getting 2 bricked cards?  Was weird.

He also did the video in real time and said he already tried MANY things to get them to work, bios settings, driver uninstalls...everything.

I would go with dual 980ti. Sure it costs more money, but you get better performance.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Your MSI 390X are good with cooling. As far as heat output, you probably won't notice the difference. Power consumption is negligible really, unless you are running them full load 24/7, your electric bill will be about the same, your GPUs are most of the time idle than anything else in their life cycle.

So it is up to you if you want to spend additional $440ish+(depending on the version) more for an 980Ti SLI setup. Remember both cards are 1st gen DX12 GPUs(both support main DX12 features), both are really not capable of 4K 60FPS+ consistent gaming in many games, let alone capable of fully utilizing 4K 60Hz monitors fully. Not even 1440P 120HZ/144hz monitors are being maxed out right now.

If it was me, I'll sit on the 390X CF for now since I already have em, because from my point of view, neither 390X/980Ti 2way will give me what "I" want in 4K, which is 60FPS minimum most of the time. So, I don't see a reason of spending more money right now at all. That is one of the reason why I have not upgraded to a 4K monitor setup at all, because I prefer smooth ULTRA SETTINGS 1080p 60FPS gaming over 4K low FPS ULTRA SETTINGS, neither freesync or G-Sync can make 25-30FPS look smooth to me. I've looked at demos personally in the stores it didn't sell to me at all.

The talk about DX12 improving performance on current gen cards, is all about drawcall performance, and we have not seen any actual games that are DX12 yet. So I would not expect to see all of a sudden a huge jump in gaming peformance, very unlikely that we will see many current AAA games being upgraded to DX12 to even see the improvements from DX11.

So, just wait til we actually see any DX12 games and AMD and Nvidia have released cards capable of high FPS at ULTRA settings in 4K.

I'm not saying they reduced driver overhead, I'm just saying they did something that does not improve performance across the board, but rather only in certain situations/games, like how CPU overhead is only evident in CPU-bound scenarios, tessellation when there's heavy tessellation like in Witcher 3, etc.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

It is a tough choice...  I'd vote for a single 980 Ti as it can handle most games at 4K. 

Really, I suggest more that you wait a while for say Pascal which will hopefully bring 4K to the 1070 or even 1060 if it pulls a Fermi-Kepler Jump.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.