Z97 or H97 for my build?

Hey LTT Forums,

I am planning on making my first build quite soon! I have a 750$ budget and I am going Intel for the cpu, in particular and i5 4590. The trouble I am having is which series of motherboard I should pick. My original idea was to get a z97 board right off the bat so I could upgrade my non-overclockable cpu down the line (~6-12 months that is). However, z97 boards tend to be much more expensive then h97 boards, so I would be forced to get a lower end GPU. Is it worth the future upgradeability to get a z97 off the bat? Or will it be old news by the time I am ready to upgrade? If I were to get an h97 board, I would be able to fit a GTX 970. If I were to get a z97 board I would have to downgrade to an r9 280x or a GTX 960. Please help me out with your opinions. My other components going into the rig will be listed below ;)

RAM - 8 GB Kingston HyperX Black Edition

HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD

Case - NZXT S340 

PSU - EVGA 600B 600w PSU

Go with H97 since the 4590 is locked so you can't overclock it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Hey LTT Forums,

I am planning on making my first build quite soon! I have a 750$ budget and I am going Intel for the cpu, in particular and i5 4590. The trouble I am having is which series of motherboard I should pick. My original idea was to get a z97 board right off the bat so I could upgrade my non-overclockable cpu down the line (~6-12 months that is). However, z97 boards tend to be much more expensive then h97 boards, so I would be forced to get a lower end GPU. Is it worth the future upgradeability to get a z97 off the bat? Or will it be old news by the time I am ready to upgrade? If I were to get an h97 board, I would be able to fit a GTX 970. If I were to get a z97 board I would have to downgrade to an r9 280x or a GTX 960. Please help me out with your opinions. My other components going into the rig will be listed below ;)

Case - NZXT S340 

PSU - EVGA 600B 600w PSU

H97, Z97 is for overclocking, H97 is Z97 - overclocking :) and since you dont have a k series cpu you won't be overclocking anyway :)

H97. Upgrading to an overclockable CPU would give no benefit in most tasks. H97 would save you some cash :)

Or if you don't mind a Bios update you could get a H/Z87 and save more.

@Trivecta

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

H81 or B85, the difference between chipsets in the locked range is just more ports, like sata, usb. 

Go with H97 since the 4590 is locked so you can't overclock it.

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Hey LTT Forums,

Case - NZXT S340 

PSU - EVGA 600B 600w PSU

Hey Trivecta,

As the guys explained, the Z97 type supports multiple GPUs and the ability to OC the CPU. Since you have a non-overclockable CPU, I would go with the H97 to save some money and afford a better GPU. The better GPU would have much more impact on gaming than the motherboard or an overclockable CPU.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey LTT Forums,

Case - NZXT S340 

PSU - EVGA 600B 600w PSU

can you give us a full rundown on the specs and needs you require. what you intend to use it for etc.

I can see what you mean about getting a Z-series m/board and just put a non k cpu in it and later on you can just do a swap out and not have to change m/board and do a full re-install etc. so if i was you i would push to get a z-series now, even if its a Z87 and if you can't afford a gtx 970 after that then save until you can or try to cut down on other components. 

the non k cpu should be fine if you want just games and you can get away with cooling with a nice Zalman air cooled cpu cooler at about 20 - 30 bucks so save on that and put it all in your m/board & GPU. you can also save money and get performance by getting a single SSHD (hybrid drive) as it will still be quick transfer rates and good boot speeds. 

you can get pretty good 50 bucks cases now to. 

if your really stretched you can get perfectly good working re-furbished Z87 m/boards for a good price.  look on newegg 

got to love Asus components

Holy moly that was a nice response @asusfan I will look into a z87 board possibly. Also I have run out of places to cut down. The cas is only 60$ and it is my favorite looking so I honestly don't want to change it. 8gb of ram is needed. And the PSU is the lowest I can go. I just want to run games at 1080p 50-60 fps on high-ultra settings. Also may be doing some mild video editing and rendering.

have you found a m/board now? and what price and form factor are you looking for? 

location & total budget? 

got to love Asus components