New Laptop?

JDHall

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new laptop, as i am a student it would be used for productivity and Gaming. I could do with something that is going to last me, MacBooks have a long lifespan but are useless for gaming as i would have to then duel boot windows but are great for productivity tasks. I love the look of Alienware but i have heard some bad things about build quality and performance? 

I have a budget of £1600 or approximately $2500 what would you guys suggest?  

All help greatly appreciated.

JDHall

I'm a fan of the MSI laptops. Maybe something in their GT or GP series. Unless you want a slimmer form factor, in which you can check out their ghost series laptops.

There are other brands, but I haven't really tried them. Someone will have something to say about the others.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

There is the razer blade if you are looking for something thin, and the asus g751 if you can deal with something hefty.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

If you intend to carry it around, then look at thin and light gaming laptop, however if you dont intend to move it very much, then look at the thicker laptops from msi or asus, as they are not too expensive, and offer good performance.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I want to buy a new laptop, as i am a student it would be used for productivity and Gaming. I could do with something that is going to last me.

I love the look of Alienware but i have heard some bad things about build quality and performance? 

Clevo is a nice bet. I suggest mySN.co.uk or scan.co.uk. If battery life is not much of an issue and you want to get a good, powerful PC, then look for a P770ZM or P750ZM.

If you want something a bit thinner and don't mind dealing with Optimus, then P650Sx or P670Sx is your best bet.

If you want something thinner like the Razer blade, then I suggest the MSI GS70. As far as I know it's the best machine in that form factor.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Buy the new macbook! 

Said no one whose smart ever

Lenovo and MSI both have great laptops, dells xps 13 is an option to but it not meant for gaming.

"Just go Android (Glorious Android Masterrace)"

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB

PC "SkyT": Radeon 390, i5 6600K, NZXT H440 Razer 

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new laptop, as i am a student it would be used for productivity and Gaming. I could do with something that is going to last me, MacBooks have a long lifespan but are useless for gaming as i would have to then duel boot windows but are great for productivity tasks. I love the look of Alienware but i have heard some bad things about build quality and performance? 

All help greatly appreciated.

JDHall

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Touchscreen-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00J06F4BK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433114743&sr=1-3&keywords=razer+blade

this is an amazing laptop for the price

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Lenovo and MSI both have great laptops, dells xps 13 is an option to but it not meant for gaming.

MSI does, but Lenovo doesn't.

No, it's not. It's overpriced as hell and that 870M is so much hotter and weaker than the 970Ms you shouldn't even consider it. No razer blade on the market is worth its price. Ever.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

MSI does, but Lenovo doesn't.

No, it's not. It's overpriced as hell and that 870M is so much hotter and weaker than the 970Ms you shouldn't even consider it. No razer blade on the market is worth its price. Ever.

The razerblade has a 512 gb ssd, is really thin and high build quality (which people like), and it has a beautiful screen. It is also portable enough to be a daily laptop to use everyday, because not many people like hulling around a 10 pound, hugely thick, 17 inch laptop

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Hi JDHall,

I'm in the process of picking a laptop for my studies and gaming needs myself - the one of the top contenders at the moment is:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-184-MS&tool=3

Although there are others on my list, this one looks to be particularly good value and for the price packs a fairly decent punch...

The razerblade has a 512 gb ssd, is really thin and high build quality (which people like), and it has a beautiful screen. It is also portable enough to be a daily laptop to use everyday, because not many people like hulling around a 10 pound, hugely thick, 17 inch laptop

And I can find a 970M with a 512GB SSD for $2000.

IT DOES NOT FOR THE LAST TIME ON THIS PLANET HAVE GOOD BUILD QUALITY. The outer construction emulates the look, finish and feel of macbooks, but the internals are a terrible mess for cooling, modularity, storage options, everything. It's not good. It's nowhere near being good. I'm tired of people saying it's good. You know what was good on the inside? Alienware 17 R1. That was good. My P370SM3? That's good. MSI's GT72? That's good. The P770ZM? That's good. P670Sx? That's good. Razer blade? Not good. Aorus X7? Not good.

If you want to tell people to use a laptop that's so thin as the Blade, recommend them the GS70 instead. I never said anything about ignoring such thin models. I said the blade is nowhere near worth its price, ever, AND you listed a model with the 870M, which doesn't work properly. That card is too hot for that machine. Way way way too hot.

IT DOES NOT FOR THE LAST TIME ON THIS PLANET HAVE GOOD BUILD QUALITY. The outer construction emulates the look, finish and feel of macbooks, but the internals are a terrible mess for cooling, modularity, storage options, everything. It's not good. It's nowhere near being good. I'm tired of people saying it's good. You know what was good on the inside? Alienware 17 R1. That was good. My P370SM3? That's good. MSI's GT72? That's good. The P770ZM? That's good. P670Sx? That's good. Razer blade? Not good. Aorus X7? Not good.

If you want to tell people to use a laptop that's so thin as the Blade, recommend them the GS70 instead. I never said anything about ignoring such thin models. I said the blade is nowhere near worth its price, ever, AND you listed a model with the 870M, which doesn't work properly. That card is too hot for that machine. Way way way too hot.

Actually it has amazing build quality, seriously they got all those specs into something that small... Even if you dont like it, repsect it

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

The gs70 is 17 inches, which is quite big for many people to carry with them. The reason people buy gaming laptops is for a portable gaming machine, and the razerblade is the smallest gaming laptop that still packs a punch.

Actually it has amazing build quality, seriously they got all those specs into something that small... Even if you dont like it, repsect it

If you think cramming hot hardware into a small chassis, having it perform to 70% of its specifications AT BEST and costing $500+ USD more than comparable laptops but "looking and feeling nice like a macbook" is worthy of respect, you have very, very, VERY bad priorities. I do not respect the Aorus X7. I do not respect the Razer Blade. I do not respect the Gigabyte P34W. I do not respect any laptop on the planet (I do not care who makes it) that has hardware shoved into it that is beyond its chassis' capability to handle, far less at a price premium, and ESPECIALLY if they use software or firmware tricks to limit the performance of the machine (like the lenovos that kill turbo boost on their CPUs if the CPU and GPU is stressed at the same time, or the HP laptops which throttle their i7 CPUs to 800MHz under half-decent load like using Premiere Pro for video editing) just so they can alleviate their terrible system design and cooling systems.

As far as I'm concerned, if a machine cannot handle hardware X, then don't sell it with hardware X. Not even as an optional upgrade. As I said before (maybe in another thread), if you bought a car or home cinema system, or pretty much any other piece of equipment than a laptop, and it could only do 70% of its specs, you'd be returning it and telling everybody to avoid it for dear life.

I don't need a machine to have three video cards and two processors and weigh 20 pounds for me to like it. I respect the Alienware 13, for example. And the Dell XPS 13. They don't put hardware in there that can't run at its design specs, and then artificially limit things or let it overheat. I respect MSI's GT72, but not their GT70's max spec, because with the 180W PSU and the extreme CPUs and 120W GPUs they sold it with, even using the machine at stock overdrew the PSU and caused the battery to drain, and even a couple hours of a fairly demanding game would end up with a dead battery and severely degraded performance or even crashing due to pulling way too much power from the power brick in a burst. That's terrible design. They should never have sold the machine that way.

What YOU should do is start avoiding anti-consumer products. Products that cost more and prevent you from having control over it. Products that don't work ask they should but "look nice". When a game looks great and it runs like crap because they mismanaged the engine (good example is if a previous game looks almost the same but runs 5x better) people hate on it and rightfully so. Why doesn't it work the same for laptops? Why does everybody go "it's okay" and "you're asking too much" when I say I want "working" hardware? I'm not asking too much, everyone else is asking too little, and willing to deal with it because people have suddenly forgot how to carry more than 3 pounds in a laptop but still want to play BF4 on ultra at 60fps inbetween classes.

If you think cramming hot hardware into a small chassis, having it perform to 70% of its specifications AT BEST and costing $500+ USD more than comparable laptops but "looking and feeling nice like a macbook" is worthy of respect, you have very, very, VERY bad priorities. I do not respect the Aorus X7. I do not respect the Razer Blade. I do not respect the Gigabyte P34W. I do not respect any laptop on the planet (I do not care who makes it) that has hardware shoved into it that is beyond its chassis' capability to handle, far less at a price premium, and ESPECIALLY if they use software or firmware tricks to limit the performance of the machine (like the lenovos that kill turbo boost on their CPUs if the CPU and GPU is stressed at the same time, or the HP laptops which throttle their i7 CPUs to 800MHz under half-decent load like using Premiere Pro for video editing) just so they can alleviate their terrible system design and cooling systems.

As far as I'm concerned, if a machine cannot handle hardware X, then don't sell it with hardware X. Not even as an optional upgrade. As I said before (maybe in another thread), if you bought a car or home cinema system, or pretty much any other piece of equipment than a laptop, and it could only do 70% of its specs, you'd be returning it and telling everybody to avoid it for dear life.

I don't need a machine to have three video cards and two processors and weigh 20 pounds for me to like it. I respect the Alienware 13, for example. And the Dell XPS 13. They don't put hardware in there that can't run at its design specs, and then artificially limit things or let it overheat. I respect MSI's GT72, but not their GT70's max spec, because with the 180W PSU and the extreme CPUs and 120W GPUs they sold it with, even using the machine at stock overdrew the PSU and caused the battery to drain, and even a couple hours of a fairly demanding game would end up with a dead battery and severely degraded performance or even crashing due to pulling way too much power from the power brick in a burst. That's terrible design. They should never have sold the machine that way.

What YOU should do is start avoiding anti-consumer products. Products that cost more and prevent you from having control over it. Products that don't work ask they should but "look nice". When a game looks great and it runs like crap because they mismanaged the engine (good example is if a previous game looks almost the same but runs 5x better) people hate on it and rightfully so. Why doesn't it work the same for laptops? Why does everybody go "it's okay" and "you're asking too much" when I say I want "working" hardware? I'm not asking too much, everyone else is asking too little, and willing to deal with it because people have suddenly forgot how to carry more than 3 pounds in a laptop but still want to play BF4 on ultra at 60fps inbetween classes.

as I said, dont have to like it just respect it. I will never buy one but I have appreciation for the engineering

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Like x1000. (The whole thing, but especially that.)

as I said, dont have to like it just respect it. I will never buy one but I have appreciation for the engineering

Yo no h8 brah, but he just spent 4 paragraphs explaining why the engineering is terrible on that machine.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

Yo no h8 brah, but he just spent 4 paragraphs explaining why the engineering is terrible on that machine.

It was his opinion on the engineering part

It was his opinion on the engineering part

I'm reading and re-reading the post to try to find how a description of the machine's performance vs its specifications can be up for debate, or called an opinion.

But hey, to each their own, I won't bang on about it; it really speaks for itself.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1