CPU Temps Unreasonably High

Bedward

Hello, LTT forum. I'm currently having a great deal of issues with my CPU. I'm using a (now) stock clock 2600K in an Asus Maximus V Formula cooled by a Corsair H100. Whenever I put stress on the CPU, my temps skyrocket up to about 90-95C on all cores (resting temp is about 55C across all cores). I've already reset the CPU to stock clocks, and reseated the processor using Noctua NT-H1. I'm really out of ideas here, any thoughts as to what it could be? For what it's worth the CPU is about 3 years old and has lived most of its life overclocked to 4.3GHz so maybe it's just on its last legs, but hopefully not.

Hello, LTT forum. I'm currently having a great deal of issues with my CPU. I'm using a (now) stock clock 2600K in an Asus Maximus V Formula cooled by a Corsair H100. Whenever I put stress on the CPU, my temps skyrocket up to about 90-95C on all cores (resting temp is about 55C across all cores). I've already reset the CPU to stock clocks, and reseated the processor using Noctua NT-H1. I'm really out of ideas here, any thoughts as to what it could be? For what it's worth the CPU is about 4 years old and has lived most of its life overclocked to 4.3GHz so maybe it's just on its last legs, but hopefully not.

did you reset the voltage ?

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Is the cooler mounted properly? The whole thing needs to make complete contact with the CPU's heat spreader.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I believe I remounted the block properly, cleaned all the old paste off with arcticlean and isopropyl alcohol, then put a small dot of NT-H1 in the center, and screwed down the four H100 screws fairly hard. Did I miss anything? From what I remember from the first install that was all I had to do. Also, how would I see if the pump is working definitively? It seems like the tubes have something flowing through them but that may be vibration from the fans. 

Try putting another cooler on? The stock cooler, or an air cooler if you have spare parts laying around.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Try putting another cooler on? The stock cooler, or an air cooler if you have spare parts laying around.

I wish I found out about this a week ago... Just threw out the stock cooler. Is there any other way I can figure out if the H100 is at fault?

I wish I found out about this a week ago... Just threw out the stock cooler. Is there any other way I can figure out if the H100 is at fault?

Plug in all the connectors and not put the block on the cpu. Hold the cooler up to your ears and try to listen if the pump is working. I'm talking about no fans on the radiator and also outside of the case because fans would be the last of your problems.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Plug in all the connectors and not put the block on the cpu. Hold the cooler up to your ears and try to listen if the pump is working. I'm talking about no fans on the radiator and also outside of the case because fans would be the last of your problems.

Would it be noticeably loud? I just unplugged all of my fans and stopped my gpu fan and could hear something kind of faint but I'm not sure what it would be

Would it be noticeably loud? I just unplugged all of my fans and stopped my gpu fan and could hear something kind of faint but I'm not sure what it would be

Lets just say when I had a h100i, I could hear the pump motor over my 600rpm fans. The noise you could be hearing might be the PSU, but most of them don't even have the fan turned on unless a certain amount of wattage is being used. Is the noise constant like a motor would sound like?

Lets just say when I had a h100i, I could hear the pump motor over my 600rpm fans. The noise you could be hearing might be the PSU, but most of them don't even have the fan turned on unless a certain amount of wattage is being used. Is the noise constant like a motor would sound like?

I have an AX750, so the fan was off when I was checking the pump. The noise was consistent but there was no difference in noise level when i cycled through the three levels, so you may be on to something here.

EDIT: it occurs to me I could well just be hearing my two hard drives spinning, the noise didn't seem like it was coming from the pump area.

I have an AX750, so the fan was off when I was checking the pump. The noise was consistent but there was no difference in noise level when i cycled through the three levels, so you may be on to something here

Three levels?

Three levels?

On the H100, there's a button you can press to adjust the fan/pump speed. When I cycled through the different speeds, I didn't hear any difference in noise level. Also when I disconnect the fans, there doesn't seem to be any increase in temp, which indicates to me that the water isn't flowing through the rad at all. I'm strongly considering going to best buy to get a new H100i to see if that fixes anything

On the H100, there's a button you can press to adjust the fan/pump speed. When I cycled through the different speeds, I didn't hear any difference in noise level. Also when I disconnect the fans, there doesn't seem to be any increase in temp, which indicates to me that the water isn't flowing through the rad at all. I'm strongly considering going to best buy to get a new H100i to see if that fixes anything

Okay. I had no idea the h100 had fan levels. Go to bestbuy, get h100i, and price match that sucka. I remember when I built my computer a couple years ago, I had to price match quite a few things. They had 2x4GB Vengeance ram for 80 bucks (before the price hike in 2013.) I had them price match amazon's price of 35 bucks.

Okay. I had no idea the h100 had fan levels. Go to bestbuy, get h100i, and price match that sucka. I remember when I built my computer a couple years ago, I had to price match quite a few things. They had 2x4GB Vengeance ram for 80 bucks (before the price hike in 2013.) I had them price match amazon's price of 35 bucks.

I just ordered a H100i GTX from Amazon that's arriving Saturday. I just saw a forum post on Corsair's site that was the exact same issue I had, even down to one tube being noticeably hotter than the other. I'll just take it easy on my computer until that arrives and go from there. Thanks for all your help, if the new cooler fixed the issue, you've saved me about $700 on a new i7 and mobo.

I just ordered a H100i GTX from Amazon that's arriving Saturday. I just saw a forum post on Corsair's site that was the exact same issue I had, even down to one tube being noticeably hotter than the other. I'll just take it easy on my computer until that arrives and go from there. Thanks for all your help, if the new cooler fixed the issue, you've saved me about $700 on a new i7 and mobo.

Is your h100 still under warranty? I would look into that. Also, lesson learned. Don't throw away that pedestrian level stock cooler, you never know when you will need it, lol. 

Is your h100 still under warranty? I would look into that. Also, lesson learned. Don't throw away that pedestrian level stock cooler, you never know when you will need it, lol. 

I think it may be, but honestly this is as good an excuse as any to get a better looking cooler anyway, I'm not too bothered about it. And yeah no kidding... I'll be keeping all my parts from now on.

Sorry H100 or H100i?

Sometime the H100i doesnt fit tight down once screwed all the way down. 

I put some rubber spacers (maybe 2mm) on the back of the threads on teh back mounting plate to space it off the motherboard so it would mount tight on the CPU

like this;

Q3WpM4J.jpg

Sorry H100 or H100i?

Sometime the H100i doesnt fit tight down once screwed all the way down.

I put some rubber spacers (maybe 2mm) on the back of the threads on teh back mounting plate to space it off the motherboard so it would mount tight on the CPU

like this;

Q3WpM4J.jpg

Just the old school H100, so I don't think that was the issue. That said it's good to know for when I install the GTX

Well, I was using Noctua NT-H1 and my temps flew up to 100C so I had to turn of the computer and put new paste on, was a little better, down to 98, put on new thermal paste again and temps got down to 96. I got mad and used my old thermal paste that came with my CPU block, temps are now about 75C. So for me the "high grade" thermal paste was shit so I had to replace it!

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+