The start of my first build! (components)

grumpy4869

After months of research, many computer store visits for exchanges, and much patience from the wife, I finally have the components for my first build all under the same roof!  Now I just need some time to put it all together :)

post-231141-0-63527000-1432784242_thumb.

Do not ask what the world needs.  Instead ask what makes you come alive, and go and do it.  Because what the world needs, is people who have come alive.

After months of research, many computer store visits for exchanges, and much patience from the wife, I finally have the components for my first build all under the same roof!  Now I just need some time to put it all together :)

Swap?? :P

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Forgot the parts list hahaha.

Intel 5930

Asus Rampage V Extreme

2-Asus Strix 970

16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Ram@2133

Corsair H110GT AIO

Intel 750 400GB PCIe SSD

4-WD Red 2TB HHD

Corsair AX860 PSU

ROG Front Base

Asus BW-12B1ST Blu Ray Writer

Cooler Master Wired Keyboard and Mouse Combo

3-Asus VN248 monitors

Cannibalizing from current PC (Dell Studio 540): Samsung Evo 512GB SSD

May still get different fans for aesthetic purposes.  Might as well do it the way that I want to do it the first time around :)

Do not ask what the world needs.  Instead ask what makes you come alive, and go and do it.  Because what the world needs, is people who have come alive.

"and much patience from the wife" Hahaha. xD

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Where is the monitor? I cant see any.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Where is the monitor? I cant see any.

There exists a great need for a sarcasm font  :D

Three brown boxes surrounding the Corsair 760T case that I forgot to list.   B)

This is awesome, but can you tell me why all that storage? i do like the fact that you have gone for a Pci-e SSD drive, can you not get another or bigger ones and not need to have all the WD red HDD's ? just have an external backup, and then everything else will be amazing fast and no wires required for pci-e SSD's.

got to love Asus components

This is awesome, but can you tell me why all that storage? i do like the fact that you have gone for a Pci-e SSD drive, can you not get another or bigger ones and not need to have all the WD red HDD's ? just have an external backup, and then everything else will be amazing fast and no wires required for pci-e SSD's.

Classic story.  I have been in college for 10 years (Master's degree finished in three weeks yay!-10 years of college assignments), have two kids (thousands of pictures and hours of video), started this build as an HTPC to integrate with my Control4 setup (digitizing a lot of media), and we had a hard drive fail previously.  We were able to recover just about everything (thank god) but definitely learned about backup and redundancy from that experience.  In fact, the only reason that I have the Samsung SSD in my current computer is because it was the replacement for my failed HHD.

I want to run RAID 10 with this setup for both the redundancy and the performance.  I can't stand that little "circle of wait for me to do something" in Windows.  I regularly backup critical stuff regularly to an external drive that I keep in a fireproof safe.  I also currently run a WD Mycloud that I am not sure what to do with after this build.  I may just use it as a media server.  

Also, prior to getting the Intel 750, I was trying to figure out how to build a raid array with HHD's and use an SSD as a boot drive in the same machine and couldn't find anything concrete on the matter.  Now that I have the 750 though, I am still curious to see how this would work given that the 750 uses NVMe while the HHD's would obviously use RAID.  I still cannot find an answer to this and I have the hard drives so I figured I would try and hopefully save someone else a month of research. If anyone has any insight to his, I would greatly appreciate it! 

Classic story.  I have been in college for 10 years (Master's degree finished in three weeks yay!-10 years of college assignments), have two kids (thousands of pictures and hours of video), started this build as an HTPC to integrate with my Control4 setup (digitizing a lot of media), and we had a hard drive fail previously.  We were able to recover just about everything (thank god) but definitely learned about backup and redundancy from that experience.  In fact, the only reason that I have the Samsung SSD in my current computer is because it was the replacement for my failed HHD.

I want to run RAID 10 with this setup for both the redundancy and the performance.  I can't stand that little "circle of wait for me to do something" in Windows.  I regularly backup critical stuff regularly to an external drive that I keep in a fireproof safe.  I also currently run a WD Mycloud that I am not sure what to do with after this build.  I may just use it as a media server.  

Also, prior to getting the Intel 750, I was trying to figure out how to build a raid array with HHD's and use an SSD as a boot drive in the same machine and couldn't find anything concrete on the matter.  Now that I have the 750 though, I am still curious to see how this would work given that the 750 uses NVMe while the HHD's would obviously use RAID.  I still cannot find an answer to this and I have the hard drives so I figured I would try and hopefully save someone else a month of research. If anyone has any insight to his, I would greatly appreciate it! 

This makes sense then. i was just thinking to save all the drives, cables and heat etc maybe you would back up to an external system, but if you have the space in the case i do see raid as a good thing in your case. i used to always run raid 1 (mirrored if i am correct) for years, now SSD's are common but i only have space for 2x 2.5" drives in my rig now so i have one SSD for windows and a 2.5" 7200rpm HDD for programmes and games etc. and an external drive for backup, then use CD / DVD or a blu ray disc is for very important files, as a CD type is a good idea also. 

got to love Asus components

This is looking awesome! Is that a pci ssd on the case?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The dual Strix 970's make me cry, everything else makes me super jelly.

I actually went back and forth on this many times.  I purchased a 970 originally then exchanged it for a 980 Strix.  Then did more research and exchanged that for the two 970's.  Then did more research and decided to go back to the 980 but was already past the exchange period.  So I will use them for now.  Asus will be coming out with new kit in the not too distant future so maybe by that time I will end up upgrading.  

This is looking awesome! Is that a pci ssd on the case?

Yep.  Intel 750 400GB.  Amex said "hell no" to the 1.2TB one lol

Oh god

All this on a first build? Don't accidentally fry the thing...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

There exists a great need for a sarcasm font :D

Dude u sound like Ms. Bates

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Oh god

All this on a first build? Don't accidentally fry the thing...

Go big or go home  :D.  Besides, that what you guys are here to help me prevent! 

But it is more likely that my 2 or 5 year old will spill milk all over it  :angry:

Go big or go home :D. Besides, that what you guys are here to help me prevent!

But it is more likely that my 2 or 5 year old will spill milk all over it :angry:

Doing my first actual build right now, but did an experimental "first build" on my dad's old Windows 2000/pentium machine. Took out assist and put it back together. Turned it on by bridging with screwdriver, didn't know how to turn it off. Tried bridging different pins, despite already bring a member of this forum. DDZZZT! sparks flew, and it never worked again. Saved the old PATA hard drive, it wasn't plugged in. So I can get a PATA to SATA adapter, and recover data.

#themoreyouknow

Doing my first actual build right now, but did an experimental "first build" on my dad's old Windows 2000/pentium machine. Took out assist and put it back together. Turned it on by bridging with screwdriver, didn't know how to turn it off. Tried bridging different pins, despite already bring a member of this forum. DDZZZT! sparks flew, and it never worked again. Saved the old PATA hard drive, it wasn't plugged in. So I can get a PATA to SATA adapter, and recover data.

#themoreyouknow

you pull the plug... also that reminds me of one of my practice build. I stuck memory that was to fast for the motherboard, and pooof black smoke came from the motherboard the moment I turned it on... I learned that even though some things have the same socket they don't always support every thing that can fit into it.

you pull the plug... also that reminds me of one of my practice build. I stuck memory that was to fast for the motherboard, and pooof black smoke came from the motherboard the moment I turned it on... I learned that even though some things have the same socket they don't always support every thing that can fit into it.

yeah, ik now :)

black smoke? wow, that's impressive...

Dude u sound like Ms. Bates

Comic Sans is the /s font.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Did you say 5930 non k or is it a typo?

That was a typo.  My bad.  I don't think any of Intel's X99 processors are locked parts.