I just got my Radeon HD 7970 Vapor X. It required 2x8 pin connectors but I've only got 1x6 pin and 1x6+2 pin.

shoopg
Go to solution Solved by target39,

You might want to mute it if you don't like metal. All you basically need to do is either connect the two pins together, or connect them to another ground. Do this at your own risk. I am not taking any responsibility to whatever happens by doing this.

It in theory should function at stock speeds.  Remember a 6 pin connector looks like such

Power Power Ground

Power Power Ground

Where an 8 pin looks like 

Power Power Ground Ground

The extra 2 grounds is to be stable when delivering 150W per plug rather than 75W per plug.  

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

The 1x6 should actually be a 1x8 pin. It doesn't look like it but that's what it is.

The small connector at the end is for ground. I'm not sure whether you actually need it or not though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Depending on your soldering skills you could just add two little wires from 1-2 other black wires and just put them in there. Otherwise, didn't your card come with a molex->pcie adapter? Probably wouldn't look nice but w/e...

BUT I'd let it run like this until you get a blue screen.

It in theory should function at stock speeds.  Remember a 6 pin connector looks like such

Power Power Ground

Power Power Ground

Where an 8 pin looks like 

The extra 2 grounds is to be stable when delivering 150W per plug rather than 75W per plug.  

It's 

Power    Power   Power   ||  Ground

Ground Ground Ground ||  Ground

you didn't get any molex to 8pin pcie converter in the box?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Thanks guys, it booted fine but it looks like it blue screened. Thanks for the help though

you didn't get any molex to 8pin pcie converter in the box?

I did but I don't have access to my molex modular cables. I just wanted to temporarily run it like this

You might want to mute it if you don't like metal. All you basically need to do is either connect the two pins together, or connect them to another ground. Do this at your own risk. I am not taking any responsibility to whatever happens by doing this.

I've got it to work by flipping the bios switch out of boost mode. Didn't realize it was an option. Thanks again

I've got it to work by flipping the bios switch out of boost mode. Didn't realize it was an option. Thanks again

thanks this might come in handy for me as well.

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Depending on your soldering skills you could just add two little wires from 1-2 other black wires and just put them in there. Otherwise, didn't your card come with a molex->pcie adapter? Probably wouldn't look nice but w/e...

BUT I'd let it run like this until you get a blue screen.

It's 

Power    Power   Power   ||  Ground

Ground Ground Ground ||  Ground

My PCI-E connectors have 4 yellows and 2 blacks+2 blacks, the blacks are grounds generally speaking.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Once again, would just like to say thank you to everyone who replied to this post. This was my first or second time visiting LinusTechTips Forums and it has been a great experience. Awesome community and I will definitely be racking up more posts as I enjoy my stay. Thanks again!

No, that's just wrong. I don't have to because explain why because it's just wrong. I guess that it's not really colour coded.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#pciexpress8

Well looking at cables this late at night can have adverse effects on me.  My 6+2 indeed has 3+3 on the 6 pin and 2 grounds on the 2 pin.  My bad.

Once again, would just like to say thank you to everyone who replied to this post. This was my first or second time visiting LinusTechTips Forums and it has been a great experience. Awesome community and I will definitely be racking up more posts as I enjoy my stay. Thanks again!

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad to hear the great experience you've had while visiting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask!  :D