I5 4690k and noctua NH-L12 cpu cooler

iwantcandy

Hey guys, this topic is not about overclocking cpu, I am here to ask that why is my cpu running at 48 degree Celsius under load (I just started my pc), what is happening? I never overclock my cpu, its running at stock speed (3.5ghz). Do I need to apply new thermal paste? I just got my gaming pc today. And i have 6 fans, 2 intake 4 out. 2 out at the top, 2 out at the front, 1 in at the rear and 1 bottom(near my psu). Sorry this is my first time having a gaming pc and I am new to all these. Please help! 

My pc spec is 

cpu- i5 4690k

cpu cooler - Noctua NH-L12

Mobo - Msi z97 gaming 7

Gpu- Msi GTX 970 4GD5T OC

PSU- Silverstone Strider gold series 650w 80plus gold

OS- window 8.1 64 bit

Storage- kingston 3k 120gb ssd and 1td WD Blue

I have the same processor and cooler, I can't remember my temps in my head but 48 degrees is nothing to worry about. Did you apply the thermal paste that came with the Noctua?

I dont think so, cause I didnt build this pc, the one who build this pc is the shop worker, so I not sure ;\

i see nothing wrong with 48°c, depending on how hot it is in the room thats actually a pretty good temperature.

50 degrees is fine, it's consistent 80+ temps that you need to be worried about. 

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

i see nothing wrong with 48°c, depending on how hot it is in the room thats actually a pretty good temperature.

I live in South-East Asia and it is pretty hot here, alright, thanks alot Minzo and manikyath for the help :)

and can I overclock my cpu? I am scared it might overheat doe...

50 degrees is fine, it's consistent 80+ temps that you need to be worried about. 

Alright, thanks alot bro:)

That's fine. And it's not really "under load" when you start your PC.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

You only need to worry about the temps of your CPU when it reaches 70+ degrees Celsius after running at full load for a while, 80+ is where you should reduce the overclock.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Sub 50 temps are GREAT for load! You can definitely overclock. Under AIDA 64, you don't want to be over ~75c. But under normal game load, you won't anywhere near as high as a stress test like AIDA 64. 

Also, I would make the front fans intakes, having the bottom and rear as intakes and top and front as exhaust is very strange. I would do front and bottom intake, rear and top exhaust. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

That's fine. And it's not really "under load" when you start your PC.

You only need to worry about the temps of your CPU when it reaches 70+ degrees Celsius after running at full load for a while, 80+ is where you should reduce the overclock.

Sub 50 temps are GREAT for load! You can definitely overclock. Under AIDA 64, you don't want to be over ~75c. But under normal game load, you won't anywhere near as high as a stress test like AIDA 64. 

Also, I would make the front fans intakes, having the bottom and rear as intakes and top and front as exhaust is very strange. I would do front and bottom intake, rear and top exhaust. 

Alright, thank you guys for helping, it helps me alot! 

It is normal for this cooler i guess if u want to get lower temps just go with Liquid Cooler Kraken x61, Corsair H100/110 etc etc ....

Or upgrade to Noctua NH-D15 to get them lower

Edit: But at all its JUST fine ;) 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

It is normal for this cooler i guess if u want to get lower temps just go with Liquid Cooler Kraken x61, Corsair H100/110 etc etc ....

Or upgrade to Noctua NH-D15 to get them lower

Edit: But at all its JUST fine ;)

Thanks alot for the help bro :) 

Define "under load". For that temp I'd say load was maybe 30%, not idle, it would be more towards low 40Cs. Run some benchmarking software or even stress test like XTU or Aida before OCing to see what is your actual headroom.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Define "under load". For that temp I'd say load was maybe 30%, not idle, it would be more towards low 40Cs. Run some benchmarking software or even stress test like XTU or Aida before OCing to see what is your actual headroom.

Under load mean I was doing nothing but staring at realtemp after my pc switch on for about 10 to 20 minutes, and its running at 48°C or somewhere there. Thanks alot for helping :D

but that's basically idle, 48@Idle isn't that good, especially with an aftermarket cooler, i used one on a 4690 and it on idle it was in the 30's.

you could ask the shop to reapply thermal paste (or do it yourself of course)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

but that's basically idle, 48@Idle isn't that good, especially with an aftermarket cooler, i used one on a 4690 and it on idle it was in the 30's.

you could ask the shop to reapply thermal paste (or do it yourself of course)

I bought one thermal paste already, and havent apply it yet lol, but anyway thanks for your help :)