Should people be allowed to see what is on your phone or take it at all?

KirbyTech

I have been debating this with my father for an hour or so now. He says well you're an idiot if you put anything important on your phone. He is also in favor of allowing anywhere you go to check your phone or take it till you leave. Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? 

Given phone are becoming more and more powerful they can do a lot more than text and make calls, for some people a phone is all they need computing wise. So they can do all sorts on their phone.

Ask him if I can search his mail, his personal files, and his closet without a warrant. If he says no, call him an idiot.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not at all, there's no human being that deserves to be scarred by the horrors within my browsing history.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Ask him if I can search his mail, his personal files, and his closet without a warrant. If he says no, call him an idiot.

He will say no because he only uses his phone for calls, texts, and emailing himself or me. He has a dedicated account just for that so he can keep the rest safe...

Forgive me for saying this but your dad is an idiot in this regard.

And this is why:

He will say no because he only uses his phone for calls, texts, and emailing himself or me. He has a dedicated account just for that so he can keep the rest safe...

Doesn't make a difference. Private communications and information are supposed to be private.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Doesn't make a difference. Private communications and information are supposed to be private.

I get that, he is very old school in tech. He likes XP better than anything else, like to work on old versions of Linux and has made a few command line programs that use very basic commands. 

Forgive me for saying this but your dad is an idiot in this regard.

That is nicer than the words I used so no need to forgive since he is being a real idiot.

your phone is private although it should be kept locked or not have personal information on it since it is something that is easily stolen

I say this having never locked a phone lol

your phone is private although it should be kept locked or not have personal information on it since it is something that is easily stolen

I say this having never locked a phone lol

I didn't have a lock on mine for the longest time. Well software lock. I had a case that had a metal wire attached to my belt and I took it out of that at home so maybe a bit more robust than a 4 digit pin lock like most have

Ehh, no longer have a phone, but I honestly didn't keep anything of worth on it. I didn't take pictures or videos and I don't use any social media.

So unless someone just wanted to call somebody or play some terrible mobile game, there was nothing on there that they could do or see.

Also, it was LOCKED, with a PIN and Encrypted. Because, you know, actually protecting your stuff is important. Even more so if you use your phone for more... private... activities.

Complaining someone is taking your phone and looking through it when you haven't even bothered actually protecting it, is like leaving your front door wide open while at work and expecting everything to still be there. Not because you're the only one who should be using it, that it means you will never get in a situation that would be prevented had you just locked it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro