Bell Canada faces 750 million $ class action suit for selling consumer data (GPS coordinate, purcahsed app, who they call, and lots more)

GoodBytes

Bell Canada is in hot water. They have been found that they have been collecting, making profiles, storing and selling private consumer data without their consent.

The company track its phone user completely. It collected where it's consumers are via the smartphone GPS to know where they go daily, looked at text messages sent and receive and to whom, web page visited, who they call, and even what app they use and purchased. All this information was sold to ad agencies for targeted ads to their consumers.

The suit seeks $750 million Canadian in damages for breach of privacy, breach of contract and breach of the Telecommunications Act.

bell-sign.jpg

The suit against subsidiaries of Bell alleges that the defendants used the program to track, collect and sell the sensitive account and internet browsing information of their customers to advertisers.

It seeks $750 million in damages for breach of privacy, breach of contract and breach of the Telecommunications Act.

Bell Canada has stopped the program for now, and say that consumers were informed about the program, via a text message sent, and consumers are automatically opt in. The consumer could have, Bell claims, opt out of the program. The program offered no benefits to the consumer to opt it. The class action suits says that consumers get many spam text messages, so the great majority of consumers didn't know about it, and you can't force to opt-in everyone to a program. The consume should be the one that decides to opt-in to it.

Bell Canada say it would not comment on the allegations until judgement is made in court. But says they plan to re-introduce the program with even more tracking from its consumers, by monitoring home phone and TV.

Bell issued a statement saying it would not comment on the allegations contained in the lawsuit, which have not been proven in court.

Although Bell has already cancelled the program, the company has indicated it plans to reintroduce it in the future and might expand it to include landline use and TV viewers.

However, it has said it would seek explicit customer consent through an opt-in approach. By building consumer profiles, such programs allows advertisers to tailor or target ads to specific consumers.

So does it affect exactly, as Bell Canada is huge and is form of several subsidiaries:

-> Virgin Mobile in Canada

-> Solo Mobile

-> and of course, Bell Mobility

The suit, against Bell Mobility Inc. and Bell Canada Inc. on behalf of Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile customers, targeted what Bell labelled as its "relevant ads program," which was launched in November 2013.

If your cellular provider is one of the above, you were being tracked.

Bell Canada started the program back in November 2013.

Following Bell's announcement of the program, the federal privacy commissioner began an investigation due to "an unprecedented volume of complaints," the statement from the lawyers said.

On April 7, the commissioner said it had found that Bell violated the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act because it did not adequately disclose the nature of the information and customers were not given the option to properly consent to the use of their information for the program.

According to the report, customers were automatically included in the program unless they specifically opted out — something 113,000 Bell customers decided to do.

However, the privacy commissioner said Bell should not assume because customers didn't opt out that they were consenting to having vast amounts of their personal information used in this way.

In Bell Canada statement, they say that they will delete all consumer data. However, the class action suit wants more details on it. They want to make sure that the backups are also destroyed, if any. That it is done properly, and in a timely matter, as the company didn't mention when they'll do it. They basically want an audit done on the deletion of data to make sure everything is done correctly.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/bell-faces-750m-lawsuit-over-allegedly-selling-customer-data-1.3037545

If you are affected consumer, you can register to be a member of the suit against Bell Canada for compensation if they win in court (which clearly looks like they will, I mean Bell Canada just admitted in doing this) here: http://www.bellmobilityclassaction.ca/

Update:

Ontario only :/

oooouch :|

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This really does not surprise me, they will either have it dismissed by saying we won't do it again and this cost will be felt only by the customers not us. Seen it many times with them.

Being a bell customer.. this sketches me out. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

750m isn't enough

They should straight up be shut down. I cancelled my service with them 2-3 years ago. 

My grandpa has them, because they tricked him into a 3 year contract with a flip phone for $80 a month, And all he does is use 100 minutes, no text, no data

Bell is also our satellite provider, hoping to switch soon

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Only 750 million? 

That seems a little light. Should be starting at 7.5 billion and should have the CRTC joining in on the fun to show these carriers to stop screwing around. 

but thats 750 million CANADIAN dollars

all of canada has like 1 billion

this class action law suit might break canada

/s

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The worst part is, they act like they did nothing wrong. And even plan to continue doing it. What the hell.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

If you're gonna shitpost like the rest of the kids here, do it in off topic. Savvy? 

He was obviously kidding

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Quite a bit more hefty than the slap-in-the-wrist fine AT&T just got (25 million) for basically the same thing afaik.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So next up, class action law suit for $1 Trillion against the NSA for collecting all your data. 

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I wonder if it affects other carrier too. I'm with Virgin Mobile which use the Bell network (when entering APN values it's like inet.bell.ca / mms.bell.ca). I guess so... But at least, I didn't use any data with my phone for the last year. Take that suckers ! 

:-/

I wonder if it affects other carrier too. I'm with Virgin Mobile which use the Bell network (when entering APN values it's like inet.bell.ca / mms.bell.ca). I guess so... But at least, I didn't use any data with my phone for the last year. Take that suckers ! 

:-/

Vergin Mobile Canada is a subsidiary of Bell Canada. So yes you ere affected. They collect who you call, when you call, and your they know your daily travels from tracking you via your phone GPS (if it has one).

Vergin Mobile Canada is a subsidiary of Bell Canada. So yes you ere affected. They collect who you call, when you call, and your they know your daily travels from tracking you via your phone GPS (if it has one).

I though that they just rented thoses towers... But you're right, they were acquired in 2009. But I knew the answer anyway, that's why I added my :-/ face ! ;) 

What a profile I must have !! GPS data : home, work, home, work, home, work, home, hockey !!, home, work. SMS : 90% of incoming and outgoing to the same US number. They must assume I got a pretty good buddy over there :) 

Personally I don't want to see Bell end. 

They wont end. They are freaking huge. 750 million is probably less then than their profit in a year

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Personally I don't want to see Bell end. 

That's a terrific joke.

And good for Canada. If only we in the US could get the government to do it's freaking job, and make companies start behaving ethically.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The lawsuit is only for residents of Ontario :(

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

The lawsuit is only for residents of Ontario :(

Hmm no. You can put any province you want in the form. It doesn't say that it is for Ontario resident only.

Hmm no. You can put any province you want in the form. It doesn't say that it is for Ontario resident only.

The form seems to heavily focus on "Prepaid" wireless. Unless I filled out the wrong form?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That's a terrific joke.

And good for Canada. If only we in the US could get the government to do it's freaking job, and make companies start behaving ethically.

they are only slightly better don't worry we still have an horibble government here to

on subject: bell was shady since they started never liked them never liked any network company in canada I actually wanted to just read books but I need internet so bad so yeah...... not really a choice to pay a company

"back on the subject cause I loss myself in a sea of thought": I really hope many people will be aware of this lawsuit to know how bad of a company bell actually is (shared the article like 10 time)

I'm kind of confuse about the lawsuit. It clearly states prepaid and Ontario residents...

What form where ? This one is for further information which ain't like making you eligible.