Duracell shows off Wireless Charging Ring for your Non-Wireless Charging Phone

ahhming

nexus2cee_00010000001068_thumb.jpg

nexus2cee_dumb-dumb-dumb_thumb.jpg

This product is a simple add-on to a mobile device that doesn't have built-in wireless charging capabilities yet. Duracell has been working on a ring (a dongle actually) that you can attach to a phone. It's a MicroUSB dongle that hides the inductive charging coil underneath.

It does have a charging indicator LED and iPhone version for if you need

Source:

http://www.duracellpowermat.com/home/batteries/powermat-ring/powermat-for-1-device-pma3-ring-with-micro-usb-connector/PG_00010000001068.html?cgid=duracellpowermat-powermatrings#start=1

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/14/duracell-will-sell-you-a-giant-wireless-charging-plug-yes-you-read-that-right-for-your-non-wireless-charging-phone/

its a cool idea, but other than a few cases (needing to pick up the phone very often) I don't see where this would be handy. The whole appeal of wireless charging is not having to plug something in, but you have to plug in this dongle so that's no longer a benefit.

lol that looks stupid

imagine keeping that thing attached to your phone  when making calls...

you cant even put it in your pocket with that thing on cause it can break the connector

so basically you need to plug the ring in every time you want to charge, which completely defeats the purpose of wireless charging

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is what happens when you give bunnies a sense of power.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Well if you reeaaaalllyyy wanna have wireless charging...here's an option.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Pointlessness incarnate.

Same amount of plug/unplug operations as a regular damn cable.

If this is what the R&D at Duracell are keeping themselves occupied with, no wonder battery technology is still in the iron age.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That's so meh it's not even funny.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The idea is that if you have like 5 other wireless charging products and a bunch of pads then you can upgrade an older device to wireless charging. I seriously doubt its intended to be used out and about.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

lol that looks stupid

imagine keeping that thing attached to your phone  when making calls...

you cant even put it in your pocket with that thing on cause it can break the connector

so basically you need to plug the ring in every time you want to charge, which completely defeats the purpose of wireless charging

Well you woudn't be wireless charging your phone whilst in your pocket..

But yeah, it looks like crap, and the pluging thing really does defeat the purpose

Why didnt they just build it into a case or something normal

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's way to bulky and defeats its purpuse (imho) if you have to connect it each time you want to charge.

Just get one of those qi receivers. Their like 10 bucks and you can put them between your phone and case...

qi-wireless-receiver-voor-toestellen-met

But I would just plug in a cable if I was going through that effort. I do not see the point of the dongle.

But I would just plug in a cable if I was going through that effort. I do not see the point of the dongle.

I think it is for charging your phone in places like coffee shops where they could have wireless charging stations built into the table and no power outlets to plug an adapter in to. So you plug that dongle into your phone and place it on the charging plate.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

The only way I'd buy a dongle for wireless charging is if the dongle was super small. That ring look ridiculous and definitely not worth the effort.

I think it is for charging your phone in places like coffee shops where they could have wireless charging stations built into the table and no power outlets to plug an adapter in to. So you plug that dongle into your phone and place it on the charging plate.

Why would they not just have wall outlets if if they would have electricity going to it anyways? It would be more universal to just have wall outlets which are universal.

It's way to bulky and defeats its purpuse (imho) if you have to connect it each time you want to charge.

Just get one of those qi receivers. Their like 10 bucks and you can put them between your phone and case...

qi-wireless-receiver-voor-toestellen-met

I've seen this before and is much better than duracells silly idea. However I do like to use my USB port for more than charging. (I have a rooted device and use it for things like adb and fastboot commands) if I could find one about the same size, (so it can go behind my case) but with a USB pass through. Now that would be cool

An ultimate lurker                My Current Rig

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

I've seen this before and is much better than duracells silly idea. However I do like to use my USB port for more than charging. (I have a rooted device and use it for things like adb and fastboot commands) if I could find one about the same size, (so it can go behind my case) but with a USB pass through. Now that would be cool

i use something like THIS for my phone. it goes inside the phone on the back of the battery. adds the slightest amount of bulk to the phone, but not enough to make it not fit in my case.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

This actually makes more sense now. 

Starbucks has these for charging on their tables equipped with wireless charging. Now, for a quick charge - a business can have this "commodity" to allow people to charge, and not use some plug in charger, and have to find a plug. 

Now, for general public sales..... this makes no sense. But at least now I know why it exists. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

i use something like THIS for my phone. it goes inside the phone on the back of the battery. adds the slightest amount of bulk to the phone, but not enough to make it not fit in my case.

That looks good and all except I have the HTC one m8 so it's out of the question but thanks for the input

An ultimate lurker                My Current Rig

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

It's like buying a fuel generator to recharge your electric car.

If they managed to make a cover that integrates that functionality and isn't too bulky it would make a LOT more sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The idea is that if you have like 5 other wireless charging products and a bunch of pads then you can upgrade an older device to wireless charging. I seriously doubt its intended to be used out and about.

Doesn't really matter, most devices come with a charger (and micro usb chargers are dirt cheap anyway), and on top of that I think they bundle it with the 50$ mat.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I see this as kinda nifty. Most of the charging cables that come with phones these days are just way too short. It would be nice to not accidentally rip out my cable when I grab my phone suddenly and walk away. You all know you've done that more than once. ;-)

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro