Question about Hyper X Clouds and 71

MxZeal

Planning on buying either hyper x cloud 1 or 2 today but i'm not sure which ones i actually need or should get.

I hear a lot of people saying 7.1 is bad an its a myth but i would still like to have it since i play counter strike competitively.

I was wondering should i get the cloud 2s for the usb hub or just buy the 1st gen and use razer surround?

but hey, razer megalodon are the only headphones i ever had maybe these headphones are good enough without 7.1.. i don't know.

Whats the best way you recommend and why?
Clouds 1 + Xonar Soundcard with razer surround
Clouds 1 + Xonar Soundcard

Cloud 2 + Xonar Soundcard with razer surround

Cloud 2 + Xonar Soundcard

Cloud 2 + USB

PS is spending 20$ for the 2s worth it even if i don't use the USB?

I think the Xonar SoundCard would be overkill on an 80 dollar headset, you could invest that money into something better? 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Planning on buying either hyper x cloud 1 or 2 today but i'm not sure which ones i actually need or should get.

I hear a lot of people saying 7.1 is bad an its a myth but i would still like to have it since i play counter strike competitively.

I was wondering should i get the cloud 2s for the usb hub or just buy the 1st gen and use razer surround?

but hey, razer megalodon are the only headphones i ever had maybe these headphones are good enough without 7.1.. i don't know.

Whats the best way you recommend and why?

Clouds 1 + Xonar Soundcard with razer surround

Clouds 1 + Xonar Soundcard

Cloud 2 + Xonar Soundcard with razer surround

Cloud 2 + Xonar Soundcard

Cloud 2 + USB

If you use 7.1 on these headphones they will bypass any soundcard (7.1 activates when you plug these headphones using USB), if you use the 3.5mm jack they will use your soundcard but you will lose 7.1, 7.1 is possible because the headphones have their own built in sound card.

So if you are going to use 7.1, then a sound card is useless, if you aren't ever using 7.1 you could just get the original clouds.

I think the Xonar SoundCard would be overkill on an 80 dollar headset, you could invest that money into something better? 

I already have the soundcard i got it as gift 3 months ago.

edit = woah no idea how double post

If you use 7.1 on these headphones they will bypass any soundcard, if you use the 3.5mm jack they will use your soundcard but you will lose 7.1, 7.1 is possible because the headphones have their own built in sound card.

So if you are going to use 7.1, then a sound card is useless, if you aren't ever using 7.1 you could just get the original clouds.

So using the 7.1 on usb is better than using soundcard + razer surround?

Yes, razer surround is software and if you use 7.1 (By using USB) it will bypass every soundcard in your system and use it's own.

Yes, razer surround is software and if you use 7.1 (By using USB) it will bypass every soundcard in your system and use it's own.

Okay thanks i guess soundcards are only good for professional audio then huh? Clouds 2 it is.

Okay thanks i guess soundcards are only good for professional audio then huh? Clouds 2 it is.

Soundcards are for professionals who edit audio and need to power; power hungry audio equipment.

Soundcards are for professionals who edit audio and need to power; power hungry audio equipment.

nuh nuh nuh non onononon no..... 

The USB dongle which comes with the Cloud II is reportedly rather poor. Just get the original cloud since it's cheaper.

You might as well use the soundcard if you have it, but then you have to choose between Razer surround and whatever virtual surround the soundcard has - have to test them both out and see which you prefer. Also, 7.1 Headphones?

Why is it so hungry? We just had dinner.

From the basic: virtual surround = processing the audio output by applying a set of audio processing algorithm, to mimic how a surround sound system would sound, while keeping it still in stereo (2 channels)

There are a lot of types of algorithm set used, like Dolby Headphone, CMSS, A3D (not many uses these days), etc. Even most (if not all) onboards these days come with their own virtual surround algorithm. Games also have their own built-in surround algorithm, usually placed under the audio option 'headphone'

Which one is better than which is entirely subjective, depending on each individuals. Personally I like DTS:X. Just by hearing the demo, I'm sold immediately. Too bad it might still be a while before it's really implemented in games and movies. Currently it's just implemented in some music videos.

The important point would be: if it's virtual surround, then the output is still stereo/2 channels. So 'ultra-mighty-super-incredible virtual surround headset' is just a regular stereo headset + a tiny sound processing dongle thingy to apply the effects. 

nuh nuh nuh non onononon no..... 

The USB dongle which comes with the Cloud II is reportedly rather poor. Just get the original cloud since it's cheaper.

You might as well use the soundcard if you have it, but then you have to choose between Razer surround and whatever virtual surround the soundcard has - have to test them both out and see which you prefer. Also, 7.1 Headphones?

Yeah thanks il probably end up just testing it around  abit i grabbed the Cloud 2's because 20$ is not a big deal for me i rather have the newer one anyway plus its lighter with a cable for mobile which i like ^_^ the only thing that bothers me if i use soundcard is that i dont have quick on the fly way to lower or increase volume.. unless im stupid and missing something?