Screen tearing while watching movies (HDMI, TV, Clone Mode)

Hello everyone!

I'm new here on the forum but I've been watching Linus's YouTube videos for quite some time now and just decided to make myself an account here in hope of getting some help with a problem I (or rather my sister) have.

So... My sister just got her new computer and she was complaining that whenever she watch videos on her TV which is hooked up via HDMI. I went over there the other day thinking this was going to be an easy task but it proved to be a bit more difficult than I had initially thought.

The screen tearing only occurs on her TV but not on her monitor (she runs them in clone mode). The problem do not occur when I tried running them in extended mode but she did not want it like that because she can't see her monitor from the sofa.

---------------------------------

The specifications of her computer are the following:

AMD A10-5800K

ASUS F2A85-M

Samsung 840 SSD 120GB

Corsair CX500M

Corsair 8GB RAM

She has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed. The TV is an older Samsung plasma with 1024x768 resolution and her monitor is also a Samsung one with 1680x1050 resolution.

The troubleshooting began, I tested quite a few settings in CCC. Here is a list of things I've tried:

- Reinstalled AMD drivers (CCC 13.4) - Clean install

- Install CCC 13.6 Beta 2 - Clean install

- Changing pixel format, 4:2:2 and all the other available in CCC

- Vertical sync on and off

- Checked if the HDMI-cable worked normally in her laptop which it did

- AMD Overdrive on and off

- Overclock the CPU and standard settings

- MPC-HC and VLC Media Player

- Tried different resolutions

I really hope there is someone here who knows how to fix this.

Edited by enborn

Have you tried to see if the same thing happens with other computers or devices? I once had a problem with a older LG plasma T.V: where the top and bottom half didn't refresh at the same speed when I played from a HDMI cable.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Try seeing if you can change the refresh rate of both screens while in clone mode. If you can, go down to 59hz. 

If that does't work disable clone mode and set the fresh rate of the monitor to 59, then enable clone mode. It might be trying to clone 60hz from the monitor to the tv which might only support 59hz. 

Have you tried to see if the same thing happens with other computers or devices? I once had a problem with a older LG plasma T.V: where the top and bottom half didn't refresh at the same speed when I played from a HDMI cable.  

The TV work fine when in clone mode on my sisters laptop.

Try seeing if you can change the refresh rate of both screens while in clone mode. If you can, go down to 59hz. 

If that does't work disable clone mode and set the fresh rate of the monitor to 59, then enable clone mode. It might be trying to clone 60hz from the monitor to the tv which might only support 59hz. 

No I have not. I will try this when I can.

Keep the tips coming so I have some stuff to try out when I visit her next time.

You can also try a different display. Could be the issue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You can also try a different display. Could be the issue.

You mean that i should try another monitor or another TV? The TV works just fine when hooked up to another computer and the monitor as well.

Disable desktop composition to see if it fixes it. (had a friend of mine who kept getting tearing on 1 line on his tv and it went away as soon as he disabled desktop composition.

(can be disabled within mpc hc,View>rendering settings>presentation>disable desktop composition)

Edited by Flamewalker

Disable desktop composition to see if it fixes it. (had a friend of mine who kept getting tearing on 1 line on his tv and it went away as soon as he disabled desktop composition.

(can be disabled within mpc hc,View>rendering settings>presentation>disable desktop composition)

Desktop composition being disabled will add more screen tearing while dragging around windows. I can see how it would help when watching a movie or something on a slow computer. 

Edited by ShadyHost

Desktop composition being disabled will add more screen tearing. 

It eliminated it on my friends pc , and it also did for me when i using a 8800gts ages ago :P, so yer, might not work, but it did for me when i had it 

Edited by Flamewalker

It eliminated it on my friends pc , and it also did for me when i using a 8800gts ages ago :P

I edited my post. 

When I drag windows around without desktop composition the windows literally split in half. I have to leave "use visual styles on windows and buttons" on so that it doesn't do that anymore. my desktop looks like this:

note that it doesnt look like windows classic but it is actually windows 7 basic 

G0MduFu.jpg

I edited my post. 

When I drag windows around without desktop composition the windows literally split in half. I have to leave "use visual styles on windows and buttons" on so that it doesn't do that anymore. my desktop looks like this:

note that it doesnt look like windows classic but it is actually windows 7 basic 

yer i noticed that it does that when draggin windows back then(though didn't always happen), but if enborn only enables it in mpc hc it only disables it during video playback and enables it automaticly back when you quit mpc hc, it shouldn't be bothersome(unless he/she drags around the window alot while playing it back in clone mode :P)

Edited by Flamewalker

if ur tv support VGA

try that instead of HDMI and see if the problem persists

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

if ur tv support VGA

try that instead of HDMI and see if the problem persists

My sister uses the built-in speakers in her TV for audio so she really need to use HDMI.

My sister uses the built-in speakers in her TV for audio so she really need to use HDMI.

yeah but we are trying to find the problem

try VGA and check if the problem is still there

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

what is the model of the tv? dont think 1024x768 is the native resolution of the screen.  this is a 4:3 res.. 4:3 plasmas don't exist afaik.

what is the model of the tv? dont think 1024x768 is the native resolution of the screen.  this is a 4:3 res.. 4:3 plasmas don't exist afaik.

All the older (and cheaper) plasmas have 1024x768 they just stretch it to 16:9.

yeah but we are trying to find the problem

try VGA and check if the problem is still there

Aah okay you mean it like that. I will try it when i get the chance.

Hit me with more things to try out.

you will probably have to reduce the res on the laptop to match the plasma screen before you can clone.   

you will probably have to reduce the res on the laptop to match the plasma screen before you can clone.   

No. I've mismatched screen resolutions before, and many people do. Works fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

No. I've mismatched screen resolutions before, and many people do. Works fine.

obviously the plasma doesn't like the 1680x1050 resolution being output to it in clone mode.  many people doesnt equal all.

enborn...try this...make the res on the laptop 1280x720...clone it and see what happens.

what resolution does it show for the tv when you extend the desktop...i'm curios?

Edited by solomongrundy

obviously the plasma doesn't like the 1680x1050 resolution being output to it in clone mode.  many people doesnt equal all.

The resolution isn't be output to it. It should be scaled down. Besides, the tearing wouldn't be caused by the resolution. It'd be caused by the refresh rate.

The resolution isn't be output to it. It should be scaled down. Besides, the tearing wouldn't be caused by the resolution. It'd be caused by the refresh rate.

um...the internal scaler of the tv probably doesn't know what to do with whatever resolution being output to it from the HDMI port on the laptop. It's probably looking for a 1280x720 resolution on the HDMI.

I hope you know what clone means...cloning is sending the exact resolution you see on your laptop screen out to the HDMI port. 

um...the internal scaler of the tv probably doesn't know what to do with whatever resolution being output to it from the HDMI port on the laptop. It's probably looking for a 1280x720 resolution on the HDMI.

I hope you know what clone means...cloning is sending the exact resolution you see on your laptop screen out to the HDMI port. 

Yes, but tearing is caused by refresh rate not resolution. That's why we have Vsync.

Edited by Godlygamer23

With this setup, it's most likely the refresh rate causing the tearing. Extended mode is probably a better idea. That way you can use two different displays(refresh rate, resolution etc), and then can play the whatever on the extended display.

Her laptop has 1366x768 resolution that works fine when cloned to the plasma. I have tried reducing to all kinds of resolutions, on her normal computer, before cloning but that didn't help.

I will try out different refresh rates but i think when she cloned from her laptop it was on 60 Hz without tearing.

The problem with extended is that her TV and her computer monitor isn't on the same side of the room making it frustrating to navigate when she want to lay in the sofa surfing the web etc.

I have a TV and monitor hooked up in my room and I would get tearing on the TV in clone mode, instead of cloning I just switch it to only use the TV as a single display and that has worked fine. I just have to change it back and forth when I want to watch something on the bigger screen. Check it out and if it works, you may just want to show her how to switch back and forth. (Right click desktop>screen resolution>mutlitple displays>show desktop on only 1/2)