New liquid 3D printing technique

Carbon3D has invented a new 3D printing technique, using liquid resin and ultra violet light

In traditional 3D printing techniques, a printing head, running on a Z and X axis, creates layer upon layer of fillament to create a layered 3D structure. Now, however, a new technology by carbon3d, called CLIP (Continuous Liquid Interface Production), using photopolymerization. This makes ultra violet light solidify liquid resin, to create 3D models, in a continuous stream up to 25 times faster than traditional established 3D technologies. This ultra violet light, is cast from a projector at the bottom, increasing reliability due to fewer moving parts.

xyxmuk3ysqw51j8jkanu.gif

To prevent the resin from hardening on the base, an oxygenized layer is present at the bottom, creating a "dead zone".

nEiuZpr.png

Because the actual "printing" is performed at the base, not the moving printing arm, it whould be a small issue to make an elevator arm, as tall as needed. Maybe in 3 meters tall, if needed. As the moving arm is the only moveable part in the technology (the printing is performed by an ultra violet projector), the technology, should be quite reliable.

This looks to be a really cool technology, that could make 3D printing a LOT faster, cheaper and simpler. Of course it limits the usage of fillament a lot, so it would probably not be used for production. Prototyping however, seems to benefit tremendously by this.

Sources:

http://imgur.com/gallery/UXT57

http://gizmodo.com/new-liquid-3d-printing-system-is-25-times-faster-than-i-1691865330

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well spotted. This may bring 3D printing into the zone that is affordable for more people as just a hobby.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Wow thats awesome, thanks for sharing. Wouldn't mind something affordable to mess about with like this. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Holy balls this is awesome: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8xcki4Kks

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

umm This has already existed, you can already buy 3D printers (such as the B9 Creator) that do this.

This in fact is the only way you can print at an extremely high resolution. My dad needs one that does this so he can use it for Jewelry work

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

umm This has already existed, you can already buy 3D printers (such as the B9 Creator) that do this.

This in fact is the only way you can print at an extremely high resolution. My dad needs one that does this so he can use it for Jewelry work

Yeah, i've seen this before. The peachy printer http://www.peachyprinter.com for example does this for $100 and was a kickstarter a while ago.

Huzzah. Let us all celebrate the march towards in home micro manufacturing, and the downfall of most large corporations.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Haven't read everything.. But this looks like the age old DLP printing with a new look and name..

Haven't read everything.. But this looks like the age old DLP printing with a new look and name..

I found this article that actually explained some of the advances:

http://makezine.com/2015/03/17/will-new-technology-make-3d-printers-25-times-faster/

It looks like they added a layer that's permeable to oxygen that can be used to create a dead zone where the resin won't be cured (hardened), this eliminates the need to "peel" back and forth to clear the object seen in that aformentioned b9creator:

Now They need to create a silver/metallic colored resin, and create a version of this printer large enough to build a man.

18tcudge1xv1jjpg.jpg

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

seen this yesterday lunch on the bbc. this combined with a quad titan x deep learning pc is the end! 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

seen this yesterday lunch on the bbc. this combined with a quad titan x deep learning pc is the end!

What a learning PC connected to a 3D printer can do against humanity?

The advancement of this is the accuracy and intricacy which it prints.. Not to mention the ultimate coolness of apparently pulling objects straight out of a fluid. Awesomesauce

The big thing is cost of units and size of objects that can be created.

If they can make this scale.. Other versions of 3d printing (that build layers) is gonna go the way of the dodo.

Surprised I haven't seen this on the WAN show

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..