Official AMD Free Sync launch

spartaman64

Good. Still waiting for display technology to advance to get a premium monitor worth the price, without any compromises.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Nope. Freesync will likely stay an amd thing

It's part of the VESA standard, so it's open to everybody. It's just that Nvidia is likely to ignore it and push Gsync even though it's a worse implementation of the same thing

It's part of the VESA standard, so it's open to everybody. It's just that Nvidia is likely to ignore it and push Gsync even though it's a worse implementation of the same thing

No its not, adaptive sync is the feature in VESA standards. Freesync AMD implementation that runs on the adaptive sync standard. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

No its not, adaptive sync is the feature in VESA standards. Freesync AMD implementation that runs on the adaptive sync standard. 

That made no sense mate?

If it's AMD's implementation of a feature in the VESA standard, then how is it not part of the standard?

That made no sense mate?

If it's AMD's implementation of a feature in the VESA standard, then how is it not part of the standard?

free sync is adaptive sync, amd gpu, and drivers so its a combination of all 3 if nvidia uses adaptive sync with their gpu and made drivers for it they probably would name it g sync

free sync is adaptive sync, amd gpu, and drivers so its a combination of all 3 if nvidia uses adaptive sync with their gpu and made drivers for it they probably would name it g sync

Which is basically what I was just saying?

I was also pointing out that Nvidia would never use adaptive sync if they had an opportunity to push a proprietary standard, hence the gsync module ever being a thing when there was a standard for this anyway?

Nvidia will just slap a g sync sticker on adaptive sync supporting monitors.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Which is basically what I was just saying?

I was also pointing out that Nvidia would never use adaptive sync if they had an opportunity to push a proprietary standard, hence the gsync module ever being a thing when there was a standard for this anyway?

Freesync is a AMD branding of a standard called adaptive sync. freesync is NOT in VESA standards. Freesync is also a software later in AMD drives to use the feature called adaptive sync, so the GPU can utilize it. its like a translator so the GPU can talk to the adaptive sync.

Freesync is a AMD branding of a standard called adaptive sync. freesync is NOT in VESA standards. Freesync is also a software later in AMD drives to use the feature called adaptive sync, so the GPU can utilize it. its like a translator so the GPU can talk to the adaptive sync.

Which is exactly what I was saying. It's a standard that's being implemented in the VESA standard to displayport 1.2a. Something that AMD has been pushing for them to do?

I'm not really sure what point your trying to push here?

Freesync is basically a driver that allows adaptive sync, the thing implemented to displayport, to work in a way that allows the frames to sync with the monitor's refresh rate

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Nice music :D

PC Spec :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G  ; Motherboard : MSI B450 A-Pro MAX ; RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White 2 x 8Gb

GPU : Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB Pulse ; PSU : Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W, 80+Gold ; SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ; HDD 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5" ; Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

Which is exactly what I was saying. It's a standard that's being implemented in the VESA standard to displayport 1.2a. Something that AMD has been pushing for them to do?

I'm not really sure what point your trying to push here?

freesync allows adaptive sync to work on AMD cards. Freesync is not a part of VESA or adaptive sync in itself. freesync is a drive that allows the hardware feature to be used by the software, it is not the hardware feature. AMD got VESA to bring their frame pacing tech from eDP to DP and they called in adaptive sync. 

think of it like adaptive sync as a transmission of a car and freesync is the shifting knob. the knob is not the transmission but a way for the person (GPU) to communicate to the transmission (adaptive sync) what to do.

freesync allows adaptive sync to work on AMD cards. Freesync is not a part of VESA or adaptive sync in itself. freesync is a drive that allows the hardware feature to be used by the software, it is not the hardware feature. AMD got VESA to bring their frame pacing tech from eDP to DP and they called in adaptive sync. 

think of it like adaptive sync as a transmission of a car and freesync is the shifting knob. the knob is not the transmission but a way for the person (GPU) to communicate to the transmission (adaptive sync) what to do.

Yeah, your really not getting the point here mate. Bye

that video was actually really good at explaining what tearing is, if anyone asks I'm going to point to that for now on. that and techquickie's video

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Yeah, your really not getting the point here mate. Bye

No, he understands perfectly,  adaptive sync and freesync are two different parts of the one system.  adaptive sync is the standard in display port, free sync is AMD's application to use adaptive sync.

You can't say that freesync is a display port standard because it is not.  The confusion probably comes from monitors that are advertised as being freesync, this is basically just a combination of marketing (people know what freesync is but not really adaptive sync) because they don't want people confused and asking if it will work with freesync.  And also because some monitors are specifically built to work with freesync and not just be adaptive sync compliant.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No, he understands perfectly,  adaptive sync and freesync are two different parts of the one system.  adaptive sync is the standard in display port, free sync is AMD's application to use adaptive sync.

You can't say that freesync is a display port standard because it is not.  The confusion probably comes from monitors that are advertised as being freesync, this is basically just a combination of marketing (people know what freesync is but not really adaptive sync) because they don't want people confused and asking if it will work with freesync.  And also because some monitors are specifically built to work with freesync and not just be adaptive sync compliant.  

I know exactly that they are different things. I know that freesync is basically a way to utilize adaptive sync, that makes it part of the open standard that is adaptive sync. I'm not saying that everything that uses adaptive sync is going to be labeled as freesync, I'm saying that there's nothing stopping any company out there from utilizing the tech that is there. But Nvidia is unlikely to jump on board because lets face it, it's Nvidia.

AMD doesn't own Adaptive-sync, free-sync is there implementation of Adaptive-sync, Nicosia can choose to support Adaptive-sync and call it G-sync if they want too.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I know exactly that they are different things. I know that freesync is basically a way to utilize adaptive sync, that makes it part of the open standard that is adaptive sync. I'm not saying that everything that uses adaptive sync is going to be labeled as freesync, I'm saying that there's nothing stopping any company out there from utilizing the tech that is there. But Nvidia is unlikely to jump on board because lets face it, it's Nvidia.

Ya any company can use adaptive sync only amd has rights to freesync.

Will hd7790 support freesync? it has same gpu as 260x

According to http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219 the hd7790 does not have the updated display controller to handle the synced framerate in games. Only powersaving and video playback support.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

you'll need a card with GCN 1.1 or later to use freesync.  

So that is: R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285, R7 260X and R7 260

Amd don't list the older numbers so unless they did something to the GPU when refreshing it for the 260x then no.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.