France tests Kamikaze, netted Interceptor Drones to protect Nuclear Reactors

centrale_nogent.jpeg?itok=aKdVyf_a

This is a pretty cool way to deal with idiots who think flying anything near a nuclear reactor (without permission, I'm sure these places would be fine if you ASKED and arranged well beforehand). A drone to take out other drones. Pretty sure this is how Skynet gets started. 

In either case, its fun to see these guys take matters into their own hands and do things in a non-violent way while still solving a problem. I personally would be a fan of the "ram into the drone" approach but this way, the nuclear sites can down drones and then add them into their arsenals, amusing to say the least. If you're foolish enough to fly near a reactor, you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. 

http://giant.gfycat.com/IdenticalTameIchthyostega.gif

Spotted by the Associated Press, this net-carrying drone is not the Rapere interceptor, a concept anti-drone quadcopter announced last month. The Rapere hunted drones with cameras and attacked them by tangling their rotors in wire. This drone, photographed by Francois Mori, is instead an Interceptor MP200, made by French firm Malou Tech.

In a segment shown on French television, Malou Tech pilot Philippe Dardini uses the Interceptor to catch a DJI Phantom piloted by Philippe Dubus, the company's CEO. The interceptor is a much larger and faster drone, with six rotors, and the net it carries looks thick and heavy.

Sure, the interceptor can catch a drone in the air, but there's still a long way to go from this demonstration to actually catching one that's spying on a nuclear reactor facility. If the interceptor doesn't work, Malou Tech has another way to knock drones out of the sky: just careen a kamikaze drone into them.

http://www.popsci.com/france-tests-kamikaze-netted-interceptor-drones-protect-nuclear-reactors

Aren't france something like the highest producer of nuclear energy, or something along those lines? I guess it's understandable that you don't want drones flying over, is  it that they don't want things that could be carried by a drone, explosives for example to be flown over(I know that would be worse case scenario). Or is it something completely different? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Aren't france something like the highest producer of nuclear energy, or something along those lines? I guess it's understandable that you don't want drones flying over, is  it that they don't want things that could be carried by a drone, explosives for example to be flown over(I know that would be worse case scenario). Or is it something completely different? 

Thats one of the fears, explosive ordnance anywhere near a nuclear reactor. Everyone remembers Chernobyl. No one wants to even risk 1/100000000000th of that ever happening again, so they minimize risk. Nuclear reactors might as well be more secured than a missile silo as far as these guys are concerned. 

Even your average DJI Phantom (like mine) can be rigged to carry a substantial enough payload to cause concern. These custom rigs can carry several kilos of whatever you want. They just don't want to put up with the risk. I do understand that getting footage of reactors is cool, cause I think reactor complexes look nice (especially the cooling towers) but its still a minimizing risk thing. 

I'd probably volunteer my time to be a site protector, taking down drones just for kicks. 

Sites CAN ask to be placed on GPS exclusion lists so the drones flat out won't work but more advanced users who fly without GPS control boards OR are good enough at flying that they don't need them won't be deterred by that. Nothing short of making the sites a "dead space" with interference in the 2.4 and 5.8 bands would stop this from happening entirely. 

This is really cool, but drone-to-drone warfare is kind of a scary concept.

Nuclear reactors might as well be more secured than a missile silo as far as these guys are concerned.

They already are. Here's a decent summary, in video form.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This is easier. 

B1nsjMVCYAAYkNx.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

AP736428786023.jpg?wm=api

that definitely should scare any asshole that get to close, i love it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

DJI Phantom nice! Anyway a little more on topic, yeah a pretty large amount of explosive payload could be carried with 7kgs... I'm not sure how the cooling towers work totally but flying over on of those and your drone running out of power could be a real headache for the engineers that work on them. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

AP736428786023.jpg?wm=api

that definitely should scare any asshole that get to close, i love it

The irony that they are using DJI's bigger brother Sxxx/Sxxxx platforms to take down the Phantoms. Love it! I would also like one. The cost is outrageous. 

Is it so hard to just use radio jammers?

problem whit those that they would also block their own signals unless they have very expensive military equipment 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The irony that they are using DJI's bigger brother Sxxx/Sxxxx platforms to take down the Phantoms. Love it! I would also like one. The cost is outrageous. 

how much dji wants for that beast?

no rotors = no problem

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

how much dji wants for that beast?

A bare S900 starts at 1400 and a bare S1000+ at 1900. Their A2 flight controller system is around another 1000, plus all your add ons like batteries and so forth could bring you to 2500-3000 on a drone. Having said that, I know their hexacopters are stable and very user friendly and the octcopter just has more lifting power. They are professional grade toys, but man could anyone just pick one up and start flying. 

Then they could use directional antennas and/or jam only frequencies that they don't use.

With drones, intruder drones would have to be visually spotted and then the interceptors take time to react and must be piloted. The manning costs... I don't think its worth it for how effective its going to be.

Each of those solutions has their own unique issues.

Blanket jamming with directional antennas will mean there's a literal dead-zone. What if a patrol needs to go out and inspect an area? They will be unable to communicate with HQ while out there.

Jamming specific frequencies is better, assuming they don't use those frequencies... But then, the hypothetical "bad guys" could simply do likewise. You could custom build a drone that uses a variety of frequencies. Only standard off the shelf production units use 2.4 or 5.8 GHz. If a terrorist cell or rogue state is really hell-bent on taking out a Nuclear Power Station, they will find a way to use alternate frequencies if a drone attack is their chosen attack vector. Not to mention an automated drone could in theory operate without any external signals if programmed correctly.

There's no perfect solution of course. The best method is combined protections. These drones are an excellent first-line of defence against rogue drones.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Is it so hard to just use radio jammers?

That's illegal for civilians in some countries.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

That's illegal for civilians in some countries.

True, though Nuclear Power Stations can often get exemptions for rules like that, since their security is a matter of national security.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Please tell me that someone somewhere is making a drone that fires silly string at another drone to take it out of the sky! 

You know, the easiest solution I can come up with would be blast proof metal doors ... wait they already have that at every nuclear power plant. I don't think the payloads that a drone could carry would be something to worry about to be honest. With that said though I would rather the reactors be as secure as possible considering what is/happened in japan in the last 2 years.

You know, the easiest solution I can come up with would be blast proof metal doors ... wait they already have that at every nuclear power plant. I don't think the payloads that a drone could carry would be something to worry about to be honest. With that said though I would rather the reactors be as secure as possible considering what is/happened in japan in the last 2 years.

One of those Interceptor MP200 drones can carry several kilograms. Now, if you rigged it with several kilos of C4 explosive, or some other high powered shaped charges? Forget about your "blast proof metal doors", shaped charges will blow right through them.

Or better yet, they fly one of the drones up into the cooling tower, drop it inside, and detonate the explosives. You can only "armour" so much of a nuclear power station.

Better to prevent the Drone from ever coming close, to prevent risk to staff and property.

One of those Interceptor MP200 drones can carry several kilograms. Now, if you rigged it with several kilos of C4 explosive, or some other high powered shaped charges? Forget about your "blast proof metal doors", shaped charges will blow right through them.

Or better yet, they fly one of the drones up into the cooling tower, drop it inside, and detonate the explosives. You can only "armour" so much of a nuclear power station.

Better to prevent the Drone from ever coming close, to prevent risk to staff and property.

Yup, cooling towers are a crucial component of nuclear power plants, they are juicy targets for those who want to cause some harm. There are low profile cooling towers in use (France themselves make use of them) but not every place is setup for that. 

This is really cool, but drone-to-drone warfare is kind of a scary concept.

Always makes me think of the ender's game movie with the drones fighting the aliens whose name i forget. Cool stuff

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Sites CAN ask to be placed on GPS exclusion lists so the drones flat out won't work but more advanced users who fly without GPS control boards OR are good enough at flying that they don't need them won't be deterred by that. Nothing short of making the sites a "dead space" with interference in the 2.4 and 5.8 bands would stop this from happening entirely. 

Wouldn't work as someone with tens of thousands of dollars in RC vehicles of pretty much every type and still owning vehicles and radio gear ranging from the late 70's to the current high end it would be near impossible to block every frequency I can use just with things I already own.  2.4 and 5.8 are pretty much just the off the shelf frequencies for newbies lol.  

As for payloads we custom built a drone from scratch able to carry a slab of beer in 1 afternoon in the garage so if our goal was to blow something up we could build a drone to carry what ever weight was required with relative ease. If I really wanted to I could probably make a drone able to just disable or seize control of their anti drone drones.

That said if I were going to try and infiltrate a power station or something such as with a radio controlled vehicle I'd just modify one of my faster rock crawlers or off road racers so it was able VTOL and fly over anything it wasn't able to drive over or through and good luck catching it on the ground.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I'm sure someone will use a fixed wing drone instead, much more harder to intercept.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

They're doing it for the multiple-country Fusion project. All the countries who don't have the resources to participate will be very interested to understand exactly what is going on.

Yes, they are the world's largest consumer (or producer, I forget) of Nuclear Electricity, but that's not the point. 

ITER is what it's called. It could be the single greatest achievement in human history, and it deserves all the protection it can get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

In a few years we'll probably be seeing full on drone on drone warfare

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15