Wireless docking with INTEL WiGig for mobile PCs with up to 7Gb/s Data rate

ahhming

intel_wireless_docking_wigig.png

The new tech will be supported by laptops, tablets and 2-in-1 hybrid systems powered by intel upcoming “Skylake”.

Intel wireless docking tech requires a client device featuring Intel’s tri-band wireless-AC 17265 client card supporting high-speed 60GHz WiGig 802.11ad wireless technology as well as a dedicated Intel wireless gigabit antenna-M 10041R antenna module. Notebooks, tablets, 2-in-1s and other systems will connect to docks featuring Intel wireless gigabit sink-M 13100 modules specially designed for docking devices. it will automatically pairs all WiGig-enabled devices with the WiGig dock and peripherals based on the proximity to the dock. As soon as the owner arrives at his/her desk, the device is wirelessly paired.

intel_wireless_ac_17265.pngIntel’s tri-band wireless-AC 17265 client card

intel_wigig_w13100_wireless_gigabit_dock Intel wireless gigabit antenna-M 10041R antenna module

The WiGig allows devices to communicate at up to 7Gb/s data-rates using the 60GHz spectrum.

it can supports up to two full HD displays and provides connectivity for any USB 3.0 device.

The WiGig docking station from Intel will have a number of ports, which will allow users to plug in various peripherals (displays, printers, speakers, storage, etc.) to the dock and then connect then wirelessly without hassles. Since 60GHz signals cannot penetrate walls, the technology complements, not replaces, the existing Wi-Fi networks.

Source:

http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/anton-shilov/intel-unveils-wigig-powered-7gbs-wireless-docking-technology-for-mobile-pcs/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873512/intels-wireless-dock-takes-laptops-closer-to-a-wirefree-life.html

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2015/01/cordcutters-rejoice-intel-wireless-docking/

I can already see this being used to make laptops a lot thinner. I hope this is low power.

Cool, but I'm guessing I won't be able to use this pretty well on my Aussie internet

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I wounder if it will support having an external GPU 

Cool, look forward to this implementation, could make for some good looking new design. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Not a fan of anything that introduces reliance on drivers. Regular docking is nice and simple.

Also, this isn't going to let you charge the laptop, which is half the point of docking it.

USB 3 is 5Gb/s, use another Gb/s for networking and you're left with only 'up to' one more for displays?

This is great. Manufactures can use this technology to mike wireless GPU docks, perhaps?

Either way I'm more than fine with leaving my laptop in the living room and going to crank out the night's work in the office without having to go back and get it.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Cool, but I'm guessing I won't be able to use this pretty well on my Aussie internet

It runs on your internal network so your only limited by your routers speed not isps.

Why can't we just have network connected displays... Just type an IP in your display settings and you are good to go. Have USB over IP as well, so a monitor would have the mouse and keyboard already plugged into it and assigned to that.

It runs on your internal network so your only limited by your routers speed not isps.

I'm fairly sure this is wireless direct, the router isn't even involved.

It goes strait from the laptop to the dock.

I'm fairly sure this is wireless direct, the router isn't even involved.

It goes strait from the laptop to the dock.

It says "Since 60GHz signals cannot penetrate walls, the technology complements, not replaces, the existing Wi-Fi networks."

It says "Since 60GHz signals cannot penetrate walls, the technology complements, not replaces, the existing Wi-Fi networks."

Right, so you aren't even limited by your router's speeds, it is direct.

That's saying you won't be using the 60GHz band in the place of your home hotspot's 5GHz band. There are no 60GHz hotspots.

The Intel slide in OP clearly shows the 60GHz connection being between the laptop and the dock and not involving a router.

Right, so you aren't even limited by your router's speeds, it is direct.

That's saying you won't be using the 60GHz band in the place of your home hotspot's 5GHz band. There are no 60GHz hotspots.

The Intel slide in OP clearly shows the 60GHz connection being between the laptop and the dock and not involving a router.

My understanding was if u arent within rage of the wigig dock e.g in a room it switches to wifi.

My understanding was if u arent within rage of the wigig dock e.g in a room it switches to wifi.

This is the module that will go inside of the dock, and it only supports 60ghz: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wigig-sink-w13100.html

The quote about complimenting and not replacing means you will connect to WiGig for the dock and WiFi for internet, and use them together.

thanks for the info this is great news I'm more interested in that technology now that I know this

thanks for the info this is great news I'm more interested in that technology now that I know this

I was actually wrong it isnt even limited to your router so it should be even better. but yea its good it doesn't rely on our shitty internet here in Aus.

Wait but, how do you charge your laptop?

I guess its pretty convenient to not need to dock your laptop into anything, but you would still need to have it on a table to charge it?

I don't think im seeing the benefits of this over a regular dock?

Wait but, how do you charge your laptop?

I guess its pretty convenient to not need to dock your laptop into anything, but you would still need to have it on a table to charge it?

I don't think im seeing the benefits of this over a regular dock?

Plug it into a charger  :P I think most people will still use a normal dock where one connector will carry everything including power for that reason.

There are still a few cases out there where this would be nice, some of my uncle's employees are a good example. They primarily work out of their vehicles, but every morning they go into the office for an hour to do some paperwork, with this they could just carry their computer in and set it on the desk without having to plug anything. They never bring a charger in anyways.

If they are cheap enough, it would also be nice to have one on a TV. If friends or family come over just set your laptop near the TV, show them some pictures or something quick, and put the computer away.

But yeah... I'm going out on limbs here to come up with ideas haha.

Perhaps this will be the year of wireless charging ultrabooks? That would be pretty awesome...