Microsoft criticize Google for publishing a security vulnerability in Windows 8.1

ahhming

so if you remember a google engineer finds a vulnerability in windows 8 and makes it public
(http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/282690-google-engineer-finds-critical-vulnerability-in-windows-81-makes-it-public/)

Senior Director of the Microsoft Security Response Center, Chris Betz said 

It is necessary to fully assess the potential vulnerability, design and evaluate against the broader threat landscape, and issue a “fix” before it is disclosed to the public, including those who would use the vulnerability to orchestrate an attack.

Responding to security vulnerabilities can be a complex, extensive and time-consuming process. As a software vendor this is an area in which we have years of experience. Some of the complexity in the timing discussion is rooted in the variety of environments that we as security professionals must consider: real world impact in customer environments, the number of supported platforms the issue exists in, and the complexity of the fix. Vulnerabilities are not all made equal nor according to a well-defined measure. And, an update to an online service can have different complexity and dependencies than a fix to a software product, decade old software platform on which tens of thousands have built applications, or hardware devices. Thoughtful collaboration takes these attributes into account.

Google - has released information about a vulnerability in a Microsoft product, two days before our planned fix on our well known and coordinated Patch Tuesday cadence, despite our request that they avoid doing so. Specifically, we asked Google to work with us to protect customers by withholding details until Tuesday, January 13, when we will be releasing a fix. Although following through keeps to Google’s announced timeline for disclosure, the decision feels less like principles and more like a “gotcha”, with customers the ones who may suffer as a result. What’s right for Google is not always right for customers. We urge Google to make protection of customers our collective primary goal.

Betz argued that privately disclosed vulnerabilities are more likely to be fixed and less likely to be exploited by "cybercriminals" than ones that are publicly disclosed.

Source:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2015/01/11/a-call-for-better-coordinated-vulnerability-disclosure.aspx

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/12/7530791/microsoft-criticizes-google-for-bug-disclosure-approach

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/12/7530791/microsoft-criticizes-google-for-bug-disclosure-approach

good guy google pointing out security hazards. you would think microsoft would be thanking them

CPU Intel I7-4700MQ @2.4 ghz, turbos to 3.4 

Motherboard  whatever toshiba put in the thing

RAM 8GB 1600mhz 

GPU  Nvidia Geforce GT 740M  

Storage 750Gb 5400rpm   

Cooling  Crappy laptop fan 

Operating System  windows 8 64 bit

01101001 01100110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101000 01100001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101111 01100111 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01100010 01101100 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Funny. Google let them know privately months before hand (90 days, to be exact.) and published it after said 90 days. Spoiler alert, if you're Microsoft, you have a team of developers, AND a team of testers, AND security experts. It doesn't take v3 months.

Funny. Google let them know privately months before hand (90 days, to be exact.) and published it after said 90 days. Spoiler alert, if you're Microsoft, you have a team of developers, AND a team of testers, AND security experts. It doesn't take v3 months.

It didn't, the patch was finished and ready to roll, MS asked them to hold off for 2 extra days until their official patch day, that's hardly an unreasonable request and in this instance Google did the wrong thing. Its not like MS asked them not to publish it at all, they asked for a 48hr delay.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It didn't, the patch was finished and ready to roll, MS asked them to hold off for 2 extra days until their official patch day, that's hardly an unreasonable request and in this instance Google did the wrong thing. Its not like MS asked them not to publish it at all, they asked for a 48hr delay.

Protip: If you can help it (which Microsoft could), you get functional security patches out immediately. By waiting, you're leaving users still vulnerable. They have their policy to do patches Tuesday, and Google has theirs of 90 days. Period. They weren't really in the wrong; policy is policy.

Example. Why didn't people wait to patch Heartbleed? Because data was in danger otherwise. 

Protip: If you can help it (which Microsoft could), you get functional security patches out immediately. By waiting, you're leaving users still vulnerable. They have their policy to do patches Tuesday, and Google has theirs of 90 days. Period. They weren't really in the wrong; policy is policy.

So your arguing that its OK for a company to place millions of users in jepordy despite knowing a fix is 48hrs away because their policy dictates they must?

Listen, I'm not defending MS here, they could have pushed the patch earlier and closed the problem but two wrongs don't make a right. Google could of easily waited 2 days for the patch before releasing the details in order to protect the privacy of the user base.

MS were in the wrong for sure but what Google did was beyond contemptible, the only people who benefited from them releasing the details were the hackers.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So your arguing that its OK for a company to place millions of users in jepordy despite knowing a fix is 48hrs away because their policy dictates they must?

Listen, I'm not defending MS here, they could have pushed the patch earlier and closed the problem but two wrongs don't make a right. Google could of easily waited 2 days for the patch before releasing the details in order to protect the privacy of the user base.

MS were in the wrong for sure but what Google did was beyond contemptible, the only people who benefited from them releasing the details were the hackers.

You mean to tell me that Microsoft doesn't do it for 144 hours a week, of 168? Because at that point, Microsoft is putting users in danger by not releasing finished security updates immediately. Policy is policy and you risk losing your job if you don't follow it.

Original Article from the Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/12/7530791/microsoft-criticizes-google-for-bug-disclosure-approach

Additional Article from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/02/google-posts-unpatched-microsoft-bug/

Remember when Google published a major bug about Microsoft Windows 8.1 to the public a while back? 

If not, Click HERE to read that article to get a refresh. (Credit to @ahjolinna )

Well, Microsoft has come out criticizing Google about its method of what they think they were doing right, by alerting Windows 8 users.

The main reason they are being criticized is the announcement went out 2 days before Microsoft was going to release a solution. 

Paraphrased and quotes from The Verge, here on until my thoughts.

Google announced the bug as part of its Project Zero program which gives companies advanced warning before news of the bug/issue goes live to the internet, which is around 90 days since it being first reported to the company at hand. 

Well, Senior Director of Microsoft's Security Response Centre (That is a long Title) Chirs Betz has come out criticizing the Internet company in it's methods. 

Although following through keeps to Google’s announced timeline for disclosure, the decision feels less like principles and more like a "gotcha," with customers the ones who may suffer as a result. What’s right for Google is not always right for customers. We urge Google to make protection of customers our collective primary goal. 

GOOGLE BELIEVES TIME LIMITS ENCOURAGE ACTION — MICROSOFT SAYS IT JUST MAKES COMPLEX SITUATIONS MORE DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH

Following the latest disclosure to the public on the 11th January 2015, Microsoft and Google's policies couldn't be further part about where each company stands.

Chris Betz (The guy from above,) has also come out saying:

Those in favor of full, public disclosure believe that this method pushes software vendors to fix vulnerabilities more quickly and makes customers develop and take actions to protect themselves. We Disagree... We believe those who fully disclose a vulnerability before a fix is broadly available are doing a disservice to millions of people and the systems they depend upon.

My Thoughts?

I think Google was in the right to release the bug data. (Don't start a flame war with me, just my opinions) Any respectful software company would issue a fix if there is a security issue in their software, and not wait for their "Patch Day of the Month". I feel that 90 days is adequate time to get this fix out. Even if the fix was to be released, it is nice to know what updates do what and to fix what issue (if any occur). 

What are your thoughts?

Please leave them down below!

EDIT: Crap, didn't see this topic. Sorry for the Repost.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Piss off Microsoft.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Piss off Google.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

if you cant fix a security bug in 90 days then you either announce the bug your self so people are aware and can plan around it. because if google can find it some one else could get hold of it. and if its a serious bug then certain compainies would want to know so they can back up data. disconnect things from the internet till a fix is ready, swap to another system etc

if you cant fix a security bug in 90 days then you either announce the bug your self so people are aware and can plan around it. because if google can find it some one else could get hold of it. and if its a serious bug then certain compainies would want to know so they can back up data. disconnect things from the internet till a fix is ready, swap to another system etc

Microsoft would do anything to save their own ass. Including, apparently, letting a bug go on for 90 days without mentioning it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

microsoft thinks that time screws stuff up.

really

they are just pissy because google is actually giving competition in the os department, is reking microsoft in mobile and is taking a stab at the xbox with android tv and these micro consoles (that run as well as the next gen consoles)

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

how many lines of code are there in windows and how many of them are connected in obscure ways ALOT. with bugs this big ok say there there inform the public and the vendor but dont give a tutorial on how to do it 

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

You mean to tell me that Microsoft doesn't do it for 144 hours a week, of 168? Because at that point, Microsoft is putting users in danger by not releasing finished security updates immediately. Policy is policy and you risk losing your job if you don't follow it.

I've got to agree with @Master Disaster here.

You can be damn sure that a vulnerability like this would be pushed higher up in Google. No one was going to "lose their job" over overriding the policy and adding a 48 hour extension. Google was wrong to do this. There's no "if's, and's, or but's" about it.

Your argument is basically "Well Microsoft is already wrong anyway so whatever". Even if Microsoft was wrong - which we're not entirely sure of. We only assume the patch was ready before the Tuesday - Though let's assume Microsoft withheld the patch until Patch Tuesday on purpose - Even if Microsoft was wrong, what Google did was malicious and unethical. The ONLY people who benefited here were Hackers. They basically got a 48 hour window in which Google basically said "Hey guys, have fun!"

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So they wanted to wait an extra 2 days for.....what exactly? the day they put out patches? That's a great idea, don't put the patch out when it's ready, wait around until "patch day"

You can be damn sure that a vulnerability like this would be pushed higher up in Google. No one was going to "lose their job" over overriding the policy and adding a 48 hour extension. Google was wrong to do this. There's no "if's, and's, or but's" about it.

Your argument is basically "Well Microsoft is already wrong anyway so whatever". Even if Microsoft was wrong - which we're not entirely sure of. We only assume the patch was ready before the Tuesday - Though let's assume Microsoft withheld the patch until Patch Tuesday on purpose - Even if Microsoft was wrong, what Google did was malicious and unethical. The ONLY people who benefited here were Hackers. They basically got a 48 hour window in which Google basically said "Hey guys, have fun!"

There's a good chance that the security problem was already known to them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You can be damn sure that a vulnerability like this would be pushed higher up in Google. No one was going to "lose their job" over overriding the policy and adding a 48 hour extension. Google was wrong to do this. There's no "if's, and's, or but's" about it.

Your argument is basically "Well Microsoft is already wrong anyway so whatever". Even if Microsoft was wrong - which we're not entirely sure of. We only assume the patch was ready before the Tuesday - Though let's assume Microsoft withheld the patch until Patch Tuesday on purpose - Even if Microsoft was wrong, what Google did was malicious and unethical. The ONLY people who benefited here were Hackers. They basically got a 48 hour window in which Google basically said "Hey guys, have fun!"

Personally I don't really too much of a problem, this was just a simple privilege escalation attack.  You would need access to the computer or already or already have a program running on the target computer, and if I read the report correctly essentially all this attack allows you to do is create folders anywhere you want.  Ultimately this is a pretty minor bug, and there are likely already a few other bugs in the wild that do more than this.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

I must agree with Master Disaster.

It is easy to say that Microsoft had 3 months. But the reality of that Microsoft had other security updated to fix, and to be honest one that are more of a security threat, than the one found my Google, which requires an already compromised system.

Microsoft follows Patch Tuesday because there is a reason for this: businesses.

Microsoft USED to releases patches when they were ready. But what happened is that IT department in business wanted to test the updates with their systems before delaying them. As they were coming in at random, it lead IT simply not carrying about updating all the company system, and blocking Windows updates until they re-imagine their system (once a year, at best).

So now the way it works, is not ONLY Microsoft waits for Tuesday, but company are informed ahead of time, creating delays in releasing security patches.

Now, Microsoft is annoyed with this before hand delay to inform IT businesses. So, they are removing it. And now IT businesses are freaking out.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2015/01/08/evolving-advance-notification-service-ans-in-2015.aspx

WWW so it should be the fault of google for forcing them to fix a patch. hilarious now microsoft are lazy and criticize google when they force them don't stop being lazy. hilarious shit is hilarious 

I agree with Microsoft here. A real OS is complex and patching a vulnerability can easily create more if done in a haphazard manner. Who's to say that Microsoft security team 3 wasn't in the midst of analysing the patch to confirm its stability. And as stated in other posts, there's a whole world out there with IT and security personnel involved that aren't part of MS.

And just what the heck are users going to do having learned about their vulnerability 2 days earlier? Bitch and moan that it is there? Grandma going to stop baking cookies and put on her IT security pro programmer hat, create, apply and publish an open source patch for the world to use without verification, validation or credentials?