Intel Compute Stick - PC on a stick with full size USB port - Runs Windows 8.1 - 149.99$

Have you been to Google Play store?

I wouldn't call that 'extremely limted'.

I don't even bother programming for the Android platform because of the scope of software. I'm sure even yourself can compile a large list of software that's simply not feasible in a mobile environment.

Get the Linux one, installed XBMC, you're done. Perfect HD home theatre PC.

Have you been to Google Play store?

I wouldn't call that 'extremely limted'.

You get web browsers, social media clients, video and music streaming services. I think I recently read about Microsoft Office improving the beta version for Android. What else are you going to use such a tiny device with so little storage and processing power for?

"Games and stuff" - Chandler

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

And here I am imagining:

stick.png

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

So they refined their whole Meego Pad thingy into this? Cool, it looks orders of magnitude nicer.

I think it would be hard to connect to many tv inputs it's just quite bulky for a stick, but other than that is neat: a Chromecast for geeks since it's actually more capable

-------

Current Rig

-------

You'd rather try and use the tiny Start menu on a 50" TV?....

I somewhat get how people can complain about Windows 8.1 on a desktop, but preferring Win7 over it on a TV makes zero sense. Windows 8.1 is actually REALLY nice on a TV. 

I don't use my PC on my TV anyways that is not its intended place.

Because it is a x86 platform. There's not much else to put on it that is as intuitive other than Linux which they also offer.

My point is that I don't like Windows 8.1 and neither do allot of people.

Whenever I see a news post by you GoodBytes I'm never disappointed because it's always going to be something I'm interested in and if it's not, you tend to sell me on the idea of a product/service/whatever fairly quickly

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

My point is that I don't like Windows 8.1 and neither do allot of people.

That's when you opt for the Linux flavor.

I want to know why the Linux version also has reduced specs.

Well as explained, They wanted to make one that is affordable for educational institutions that are tight on budget.

this is great and the price is low (150$ is not nothing I agree but for a starting price of a device I personally want we can hope it will drop to around 25-50 buck in 2-4 year so yeah the more thing go the more we will have nice stuff really cheap ) also if moore's law stay right we wil have a same priced device with double the speed in around 2 year

edit: also linux version will normally be around 15 buck which I hope will reveal to be true

I don't use my PC on my TV anyways that is not its intended place.

So why comment about it on a thread for a PC somewhat meant for a TV? There is obviously a market for it, so you can't say it is worthless to do so. Not everyone has spare rooms in their houses to have a dedicated office, and many parents (myself included... well mainly my wife, but you'll learn that means it has to be your opinion as well :P ) will not allow a PC in their kids rooms. Throwing a $150 stick onto a TV is a great option for many families with one or two laptops to share and more users than that. Even if you were mainly going to use it for Netflix, Pandora, etc. it makes a lot more sense IMO to have something that is much more capable than a Fire Stick, Roku, etc for relatively (compared to the large usage gain) little more money.

I have a PC of on both TVs in my house, and after seeing and using them several friends and family members have put PCs on their TVs as well. I wouldn't knock it until you try it.

True but if I want the better specs and Linux?

Buy the Win 8.1 version and put Linux on it...? It costs more because of the higher specs, not because it has Windows on it (likely at least, since Win 8.1 with Bing is free to OEMs or something like that)

Not familiar with this architecture.

The only question I have is, can it run steam?

The Windows model can run Steam, PhotoShop, Firefox, Chrome, IE, VisualStudio, Dreamweaver, Skype, Rainmeter, you name it. It is a x86 processor. Now, can you run all these software well? Well... not so much. You could probably play many indie games from Steam with basic graphics, due to the slowness of the Intel integrated graphics. But you should be able to do in home Streaming with Steam. It has the performance for that. Dont' expect a super top of teh line wireless card inside for that price, but it is Wireless N, if you have router fairly close or really good reception, you should be able to. At worst, you can get a USB Ethernet adapter or a better wireless card on USB.

It's runs a Atom which is a x86 architecture. That means it runs a full desktop version of Windows and will run any software that you currently run on your computer. You just have to take into account performance as an Atom is not as strong as desktop chips. Also the graphics performance for gaming will not be significant at all with just 4 EU's. You would be better off using steam's in-home streaming to cast the games from your desktop machine to your TV.

It is a x86 processor.

Thanks, I always get ARM and ATOM confused. 

It sucks that it doesn't have an Ethernet jack (Steam in-home streaming), but $150 seems like a steal for what you get.

Thanks, I always get ARM and ATOM confused. 

It sucks that it doesn't have an Ethernet jack (Steam in-home streaming), but $150 seems like a steal for what you get.

Would have made it quite a bit larger, and with all the ultrabooks out now that don't have ethernet on them USB adapters are dirt cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420849347&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+ethernet

What about power over HDMI in the future?  I thought I saw someone mention that they have plans to implement this is the future, but I couldn't find the source again.

I really want to avoid the "USB Octopus of Death"

I'm getting 1 of this. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

I think its a little overpriced, you can buy a cheap Chinese Windows tablet with the same specs for less than $100, and that includes a screen and other stuff. But this still this looks great!

I think its a little overpriced, you can buy a cheap Chinese Windows tablet with the same specs for less than $100, and that includes a screen and other stuff. But this still this looks great!

but what if you dont want a damn tablet with a screen? some people have use cases for this (i think i posted mine on page 2)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

What about power over HDMI in the future?  I thought I saw someone mention that they have plans to implement this is the future, but I couldn't find the source again.

I really want to avoid the "USB Octopus of Death"

Standard HDMI doesn't support power (at least not more than 0.25W) but with MHL compatible ports they can (up to 10W I think).

I don't think Intel included it because next to no one has MHL ports on their TVs to begin with.

They showed it in CES 2015 it looked awesome.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650