Mars Rover Curiosity Confirms Organics on Mars

DevilishBooster

I know this isn't directly PC related, but I think it's pretty awesome!

Maybe we'll get to see the beginnings of Olduvai Station being built in our lifetime.  :P

http://news.discovery.com/space/wait-theres-more-curiosity-confirms-organics-on-mars-141216.htm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=MythBusters

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

pretty much confirms that mars had something going for it and got rekt by something.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If the article is a spoof (which doesn't seem likely), I'm gonna be sad.

"It's like Star Trek, but in our own solar system!"

But this is huge. I'm looking forward to more reports and I wonder if Linus and Luke are going to talk about it on the WAN Show.

Sig under construction.

You guys. Organics in this context means a compound made out of carbon.

No biological life has been found yet.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Do you know how organics form?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Do you know how organics form?

I took chemistry, so yes. Organics don't necessarily have to be formed from biological sources. If you've taken any organic chemistry class, you'll see why.

EDIT: hint: synthetics, can occur in nature by themselves. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Hmm. This has potential to shake things up.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I took chemistry, so yes. Organics don't necessarily have to be formed from biological sources. If you've taken any organic chemistry class, you'll see why.

EDIT: hint: synthetics, can occur in nature by themselves. 

pretty sure the simple carbon chemicals are not considered organic only the more complex ones.

Spoiler

pretty sure the simple carbon chemicals are not considered organic only the more complex ones.

I wasn't referring to simple carbon compounds. Under extreme conditions, complex carbon compounds have been know to form, such as with: underwater sulphur vents in our own oceans her on planet Earth, or near volcanic vents.

I wasn't referring to simple carbon compounds. Under extreme conditions, complex carbon compounds have been know to form, such as with: underwater sulphur vents in our own oceans her on planet Earth, or near volcanic vents.

yea. but this is like on a mountain. and I guess NASA made that call too. Have to get more data though that's why they are not hyping it up much.

Spoiler

yea. but this is like on a mountain. and I guess NASA made that call too. Have to get more data though that's why they are not hyping it up much.

They hypothesise that a thermal vent may be nearby in that mountain, possibly due to the high level of methane: http://www.universetoday.com/117384/nasas-curiosity-rover-detects-methane-organics-on-mars/

They hypothesise that a thermal vent may be nearby in that mountain, possibly due to the high level of methane: http://www.universetoday.com/117384/nasas-curiosity-rover-detects-methane-organics-on-mars/

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/mars-organic-matter/#.VJNOeiusV4E i like to read the original when it comes to science news.

Spoiler

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/mars-organic-matter/#.VJNOeiusV4E i like to read the original when it comes to science news.

A newer article by a few hours:

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-rover-finds-active-ancient-organic-chemistry-on-mars/#.VJNQk5zN_CI

"There are many possible sources, biological or non-biological, such as interaction of water and rock."

@ionbasa is right. 

Either way, it's quite something.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I know this isn't directly PC related, but I think it's pretty awesome!

Maybe we'll get to see the beginnings of Olduvai Station being built in our lifetime.  :P

http://news.discovery.com/space/wait-theres-more-curiosity-confirms-organics-on-mars-141216.htm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=MythBusters

Technically it's tech news since it was the rover, advanced robotics, that detected it rather than an organic life form :P

Was gonna say that xD

Basically means any molecule or compound that contains Carbon, usually in rings or long chains :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD