Would a 6m ethernet cable reduce internet speeds?

spencermehta
Go to solution Solved by spencermehta,

I completely forgot about this thread after solving the problem (sorry).

I tested the connection with another, shorter ethernet cable using another computer and the speed was still lower than expected. I restarted the router a few days later and the internet speed was back up at 60/20. No idea why that fixed it but it did.

I used to have my router in the room I have my PCs. I had them connected up to the internet through the power circuit using adaptors and would get around 60mbps download and 18mbps upload, according to speedtest. Today, I had a new ADSL port installed in another room, which I moved my router into. I'm now running a 6 meter ethernet cable directly from the router to my PCs and am getting 47mbps download and 15mbps upload.

I know that very long ethernet cables can reduce the speed but would only a 6m one make such an impact or is it an issue with the ADSL port? 

i7 4790K, EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, NZXT Phantom 530, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, BenQ XL2411T 1080p 144Hz, BenQ GL2250 1080p 60Hz, Razer Arctosa, Logitech G400s, Roccat Savu, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB Mixer

I used to have my router in the room I have my PCs. I had them connected up through the power circuit and would get around 60mbps download and 18mbps upload, according to speedtest. Today I moved my router into another room and am now running a 6 meter ethernet cable directly from the router to my PCs and am getting only 47mbps. I had a new ADSL port installed in the room where the router now is. I know that very long ethernet cables reduce the speed but would only a 6m one make such an impact or is it an issue with the ADSL port? 

No, they should work up to about 15m just fine, I have one going like half way around my house to a switch in my room and it works fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Strange, it shouldn't be having much of an effect on the speeds, I'm running a I think 50 foot cat5e cable from my modem to router and don't have any speed degradation from it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I used to have my router in the room I have my PCs. I had them connected up to the internet through the power circuit using adaptors and would get around 60mbps download and 18mbps upload, according to speedtest. Today, I had a new ADSL port installed in another room, which I moved my router into. I'm now running a 6 meter ethernet cable directly from the router to my PCs and am getting 47mbps download and 15mbps upload.

I know that very long ethernet cables can reduce the speed but would only a 6m one make such an impact or is it an issue with the ADSL port? 

no see linus video about cable conections and check if the cable are in the right order or if the make good contact 

CPU:Intel I5 6700k (4.7GHz)  Mobo:Asus maximus viii hero RAM:HyperX 16GB  GPU:MSI gtx1080 Gaming X
Case:Fractal Design Define S SSD:Kingston 240GB HDD:1TB & 2TB raid 0 PSU:Corsair RMX750 Cooling:H100i v2 OS:Windows 10
Display:Benq GL2440,LG 29" Keyboard:Tesoro Durandal Mouse:Deathadder Sound:2.1 GENESIS NCS-0856, PC-37X, Razer manowar

Nope, as long as your under 90m your fine, and at that point you don't loose speed you just don't get a signal because the resistance of the wire after 90m is to great for the small amount of electricity going through it to reach the other side at properly.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Should be good. Bad cable maybe?

Wow I thought for sure all the anime character names had been taken.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

No, they should work up to about 15m just fine, I have one going like half way around my house to a switch in my room and it works fine

Actually he should be able to get about 100m without speed dropoffs (depending on the specific CAT# used, assuming Gigabit).

At worst, you'll start to see speed issues after 50-60m. Could be a bad ethernet cable, or environmental factors like excessive EMI, or other bad equipment (routers, NICs, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nope, it's well within the max cable length, before you start seeing signal attenuation (loss)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

What tools are you using to measure bandwidth?

Using Tapatalk

What tools are you using to measure bandwidth?

I said, SpeedTest.net

i7 4790K, EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, NZXT Phantom 530, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, BenQ XL2411T 1080p 144Hz, BenQ GL2250 1080p 60Hz, Razer Arctosa, Logitech G400s, Roccat Savu, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB Mixer

I said, SpeedTest.net

Another thing to consider is the quality of the phone lines inside your house. The wiring to the new port might not be up to the necessary quality.

Length of the actual phone cable (Internally in the wall, or externally from the wall-jack to your DSL modem) should not be an issue. Generally speaking, a few extra feet here and there won't impact anything.

So you really need to try a new Ethernet Cable. If that solves your issues, then the other cable was bad. If it does not solve the issues, then your internal phone wiring may be bad.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I said, SpeedTest.net

Use iperf for internal speed testing

Using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I completely forgot about this thread after solving the problem (sorry).

I tested the connection with another, shorter ethernet cable using another computer and the speed was still lower than expected. I restarted the router a few days later and the internet speed was back up at 60/20. No idea why that fixed it but it did.