Blue or green WD drive?

Hi,

Recently I have started recording video gameplay  for youtube as a hobby. As we all know, this is now eating up more and more hard drive space. With the upcoming holiday sales. I was thinking of picking up a new hard drive. 1 or 2 terabytes drive exclusively for recording and storage.

What would you choose?

Thanks!

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)

The blue is faster so go for that if it's a scratch disk, But keep in mind blues only go up to 1TB, while greens which are slower go up much higher than that.

As @Recon97 said seagate baracuda's are a good middle ground since they are between a WD black and blue peformance and noise wise and have larger sizes than the WD blue which are still at 1TB.

I usually recommend the 2-3TB size for the baracuda for value and peformance is still consistent at that point keeping with being a 7200RPM drive.

Hi,

Recently I have started recording video gameplay  for youtube as a hobby. As we all know, this is now eating up more and more hard drive space. With the upcoming holiday sales. I was thinking of picking up a new hard drive. 1 or 2 terabytes drive exclusively for recording and storage.

What would you choose?

Thanks!

Blues or blacks would be better.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hi,

What would you choose?

Thanks!

I would grab a blue (or black) for that, Greens are mostly for general storage of pictures and videos, but not the best for read and write

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Blues or blacks would be better.

I believe it was

WD Black > Seagate Baracuda >WD Blue > WD Green

Don't forget that WD Black drives do tend to be more noisy if you are sensitive to that or want a silent build.

Hi there @twovaliant2!

Between those two drives I would go with the Blue one, because WD Green was designed for storage purposes.

However, like few users suggested, you can take a look at the WD Black as well for it is meant for demanding applications - it will give you faster loading times, has 5 years limited warranty and comes with bigger capacity up to 6 TB. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

in the long run blacks are better because they come with a 5 year warranty. 

Thanks for the great replys! i guess i'll look a the WD blacks during the Black(pun intended) Friday sales. Thanks again!

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)