D Drive

Night

So after talking to Jae for a while about, stuff... I was curious as to how many D's a .txt file could hold. So we both got onto copying D's as many times as possible. We both maxed out our Ram doing this. My D.txt file is 1.16GB, Jaes file was 1.42GB.

Just thought it was interesting and pretty funny to see how notepad handles this amount of text. Currently Notepad in the Processes its at 4,914,612K, Steam is pulling 133,588K while downloading a game just as a refrence.

post-4452-0-35483700-1371029681_thumb.pn

post-4452-0-35483700-1371029681_thumb.pn

I wonder what 1's would be like.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I maxed out ram usage at 9gb of 16GB

The file is not openable. I closed it to try open it, and it just crashes completely.
I propose a competition! who can make the largest D drive text document wins +1 interwebs!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I tried to open mine in Notepad++ aswell as in Notepad and its too big, at 1.17GB, I increased it a little bit.

I maxed at 12 Trillion D's (assuming one letter is one bit)
and night got to 16 trillion and still going.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

I cant make the file any bigger. Ive run out of memory. Im so close to a 2GB file ^___^ 

Lol, 1.99GB "2,147,476,665 bytes"

Edit:

I closed some things and added some more smaller lines. Size on disk is "2.00 GB (2,147,483,648 bytes)"
Size on file is "1.99 GB (2,147,483,630 bytes)"

Then I just cant add anymore. So close!!!

D.png

Got to 1.53GB but any bigger my ram usage would be 7.95GB out of 8GB and notepad would crash.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

Buy more memory for this project ^__^

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Lol, This should be a stress test. Or a LTT Forum thing. How large a .txt file can you make of D's?

i"m thinking of upgrading to 32gb just to make a bigger text file

All this started over a sarcastic joke about sending a girl a D drive. xD

I maxed at 12 Trillion D's (assuming one letter is one bit)bi

What kind of assumption is that? how the hell are you going to represent more that one character if you're using only one bit to store them.

Assume it's an ACSII character, 7 or 8 bits.

OR

Assume it's a Unicode character, 16 bits.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

What kind of assumption is that? how the hell are you going to represent more that one character if you're using only one bit to store them.

Assume it's an ACSII character, 7 or 8 bits.

OR

Assume it's a Unicode character, 16 bits.

will redo the maths then. as i don't really know how big the letter D is lol

You could write a very basic computer program which will simply write D to the end of a text file until it fails, but I think you could only make a file with a mac size of half your available RAM because it needs the buffer to write too and to actually open the physical file. No program could open it though.

HTTP/2 203

I maxed at 12 Trillion D's (assuming one letter is one bit)

One letter would be 1 byte! If it were one bit you would have only two possible outcomes 1 or 0 which doesnt cover all 128 possible ASCII characters :)

I wonder what 1's would be like.

In theory it would take up as much space as any other letter :D