How to access a laptop i don't know the password to?

melias24

Hi guys, my Grandmother passed away a few hours ago, and we need to access her laptop for some photos and other personal files, but we don't know her password. Is there a way i can change the password or 'hack' into the laptop without corrupting these files? Can i change the password via a different email? It's a windows 8.1 Asus laptop.

Thanks,

~Elias

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother  :(

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Hi guys, my Grandmother passed away a few hours ago, and we need to access her laptop for some photos and other personal files, but we don't know her password. Is there a way i can change the password or 'hack' into the laptop without corrupting these files? Can i change the password via a different email? It's a windows 8.1 Asus laptop.

Thanks,

~Elias

sorry for your loss

its a microsft account correct linked?

reset password to her microsft account.

I am pretty sure the xp loop hole was patched in 7/8

sorry for your loss

its a microsft account correct linked?

Not too sure, i am not sure how she set it up.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother  :(

Thanks for that, such is life, just gotta keep your head held high.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Thanks,

~Elias

My condolences,

The simplest way to do this would be to remove the drive form the laptop and plug it into your computer. Then just drag the pictures off. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Remove the drive and plug it into a PC, then just use windows explorer to copy the files you want from it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Remove the drive and plug it into a PC, then just use windows explorer to copy the files you want from it.

My condolences,

The simplest way to do this would be to remove the drive form the laptop and plug it into your computer. Then just drag the pictures off. 

How does this work if there is an OS on the laptop hard drive? And is there a high risk of loosing files???

Thanks,

~Elias

Find a Windows pe 8.1 dart iso that will let you change the password or delete it or connect the hdd to another computer and copy over the files.

How does this work if there is an OS on the laptop hard drive? And is there a high risk of loosing files???

It works the same. There will just be all the files that you see when you look at C: drive, such as Windows, Program files, etc...

You will not lose files unless you damage the drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020