Why would you purchase AMD over Nvidia?

Mush Brain

In recent times, AMD have moved miles ahead in terms of driver reliability, though not quite near Nvidia's quality control, though we have all had NV driver troubles here and there.

Nvidia and AMD have had a generation of power sucking./hot/loud GPU's.. for Nvidia the most recent being Fermi.

AMD and Nvidia slug it out in Compute performance whether that be NV staying with their locked down CUDA, or AMD pushing the envelope with the open Open-CL and demolishing the GeForce GPU's.

Nvidia has PhysX which is awesome in certain titles, though you could say scarcely used, they also have ENVC using the x264 hardware built into the GPU (Kepler onwards), they also have ShadowPlay which is a fancy name for this hardware acceleration.

AMD simply offer less in my opinion, though if the price is right, i do purchase them, my latest being the R9 290 4GB from Sapphire, ok it runs hotter than a Vindaloo in India, and sucks power more than a Supercharged V12, but it is a capable card and has drivers that often than not work...

What is all your opinions?

NO BITCHIN'

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I honestly don't care, whichever one has the best performance and comes at a reasonable price, right now, I would probably go with the 970, but it's not time to retire my R9 270 yet :P

Also, I've never had any problems with AMD drivers.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

AMD tends to be better value for money by a long shot but the GTX 970 wrecked the R9 290 until a big price drop came. Also AMD mostly makes GPU's that are not big heaters. My 7870xt for instance was really cool and one of the best value for money cards when I bought it

Edit: Things like the R9 290 and HD7990 were a bit extreme but usually AMD is not far off Nvidia when it comes to reference coolers. I mean I regularly saw 780Ti's running at 75-85 which is hardly far off from the R9 290

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Cuda vs OpenCL. Whichever has the advantage when I'm looking will probably get my money.

Or whichever interests me the most.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I take nvidia because for some reason, im their "fanboy". i know there are advantages to AMD, but ill rather give 20$ more, for the same, or even slightly lower performance, but have nvidia. no particular reason. 

i reccomned AMD to people where it applies though

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Never had any problems with either brand.

I switched from 2 780's to a single 290x lightning, I liked both experiences equally.

The lightning runs absolutely everything my 780's did at close to the same framerate, and TBH it's about as cool and quiet as my 780 EVGA ACX's were.

(Downgraded for money and a smaller form factor)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

When AMD and nVidia have their latest stuff out (eg 6XX series and 7XXX series, 7XX series and r7/9 XXX series) then AMD usually is a much better buy. I am sure the 390X will wreck what nvidia has at the same price.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Nice game bundles

Cheaper

Great company. Ppen products unlike money hungry Nvidia (For example, freesync.)

Prefer eyefinity over surround

That being said, Once the 970 came out, I view that as a viable option too.

When AMD and nVidia have their latest stuff out (eg 6XX series and 7XXX series, 7XX series and r7/9 XXX series) then AMD usually is a much better buy. I am sure the 390X will wreck what nvidia has at the same price.

Usually whoever has the most recent products is winning "the race" so I think it matters less about brand preference, and more about who has the newest best thing.  But usually when one company releases something, not to long down the road the other one releases a new thing as well.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I take nvidia because for some reason, im their "fanboy". i know there are advantages to AMD, but ill rather give 20$ more, for the same, or even slightly lower performance, but have nvidia. no particular reason. 

i reccomned AMD to people where it applies though

Lol, I can see why they call you a fanboy. But fair enough, But the title asked why you'd buy AMD over Nvidia not which one you prefered.

Only two reasons I would ever buy amd, I needed to save money, or if mantle takes off and becomes something important. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Lol, I can see why they call you a fanboy. But fair enough, But the title asked why you'd buy AMD over Nvidia not which one you prefered.

people call me a fanboy? i never do fanboy stuff (like argue nvidia is better, in cases where its clearly not)

in that case, id buy amd if i needed bang for buck, or if my particular use case was favouring amd

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Lol, I can see why they call you a fanboy. But fair enough, But the title asked why you'd buy AMD over Nvidia not which one you prefered

I am in the same boat. I would rather have nvidia because the run cooler, quieter, more efficiently. And have less rma's. Especially vs the 290's. If I can get all that, and better drivers. Then yeah I will drop an extra $20-30 for the same fps. But a lot of people don't care about that stuff.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

oh boy, one of these threads.

I went with two R9 290's because I got piles of free games, and its like -20C here right now so my feet are always toasty warm. I heat with electricity anyway, so its a wash for half of the year. also, because I like to switch brands each upgrade if the performance is there.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The only reason I stick with Nvidia is game streaming to android (amd where's my free stream?).

HTID

I am in the same boat. I would rather have nvidia because the run cooler, quieter, more efficiently. And have less rma's. Especially vs the 290's. If I can get all that, and better drivers. Then yeah I will drop an extra $20-30 for the same fps. But a lot of people don't care about that stuff.

thats not even the reason for me. the power consumption is similar, noise is similar temps are similar... (between same class cards)...

I dont really mind RMAs since my dealer is awesome... i HATE geforce crapsperience with passion. but i will still take nvidia over amd... the same reason as why i still use a pencil to draw my designs, even when im versed in solidworks and 3ds max. i just like it like that

Whichever has the best price performance at the time of my purchase I buy. It happened to be a 7970 vs 670 when I bought my last card.The 7970 was cheaper and faster. My card before that was a GTX570. I was gonna jump on a GTX970 but with the AMD rumors of their new cards using HBM memory I might as well wait to see how they perform. As of right now price/performance would have me purchasing a 970.

For me its the fact that AMD generally offers a better card at the price point I typically shop at. (£150-200).

E.g. I got a 7950 over the 660ti, and I'd choose a 280x over a 760.

I also chose a 6870 over the 560 (6870 was about £15 more).

For me its the fact that AMD generally offers a better card at the price point I typically shop at. (£150-200).

E.g. I got a 7950 over the 660ti, and I'd choose a 280x over a 760.

I also chose a 6870 over the 560 (6870 was about £15 more).

7950 is considerably better than the 660Ti, wise choice you made sir.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

people call me a fanboy? i never do fanboy stuff (like argue nvidia is better, in cases where its clearly not)

in that case, id buy amd if i needed bang for buck, or if my particular use case was favouring amd

I'm not calling you anything, I'm just going on what you said. My bad, I misread, I thought you meant people call you a fan boy hence why you put it in quotes

I'm not calling you anything, I'm just going on what you said. My bad, I misread, I thought you meant people call you a fan boy hence why you put it in quotes

haha its ok. keep thrusting, trusty slick ;)