Origin PC to sell their Genesis and Millennium cases for their 5th Anniversary (Full and Mid tower, respectively)

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, 

My apologies if this is repasta, I'm a relatively new user (few months) but I didn't find this anywhere after a few searches in the forums. Origin PC, the Miami based company founded by Alienware members upset at the Dell buyout, is offering the individual sale of just their cases during this upcoming holiday season. More information can be found here: http://www.originpc.com/promotion/2014/5-year-anniversary-promo/

Personally, I wish I had waited 9-10 months from when I purchased a PC from them; their service has been excellent but being a boutique vendor they do come with a price tag which is considerably higher than if you were to build it yourself. Part of the reason I went with Origin was due to their case, which I liked better than anything which was available if I were to build it myself. Now, don't get misled by their guarantee of 100% server grade aluminum because it's only for the chassis; the outside of it is plastic to cut back on the weight (for instance, my PC is about 100lbs even with the outside being plastic). Additionally, if you really don't want any dust inside your PC (who the hell does?) you are going to need to pick up a few nylons to cover what barely passes for filters (Hexagonal plastic covers with a diameter of almost 5mm isn't gonna stop any dust). However, if you want the aesthetic of the Origin design, and you plan on doing either copious amounts of liquid cooling or want tons of storage space, you will find this to be a solid case. Both models come standard with a 5-Drive bay hot-swap plate which can be upgraded to have locks, and you can choose to have it shipped with an included power supply if you don't feel like going out to buy one (though probably cheaper to get it yourself). The Genesis model (full tower) can fit 24 Hard Drives below or be used for some epic liquid cooling. While even the case alone is a bit pricey, with the cases being around $400-$450 USD, if you were considering Origin anyways it will be significantly cheaper to just purchase the case and build your own PC, if it's something you don't mind doing. 

TL;DR: Origin is offering to sell their signature cases for the first time in honor of their 5th year anniversary, but they are as pricey as you'd expect

Pros: Origin look, solidly built case, tons of room, versatility with motherboard mounting

Cons: Price, More plastic than ideal so you can actually carry the case, doesn't filter dust well

Isn't this the case that you can rotate the motherboard orientation? I'm interested if so. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The cases are nice ant all, but that price is too damn high. I'd rather get an Enthoo Primo or Luxe/Pro or maybe even a 900D if I was looking for a case to shove some watercooling in. For the price, it's feature set is pretty weak

400$ for a fucking case, thats so bs

that is a intresting case, but not worth 400$

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

The Genesis is a nice case but looks too plastic on the outside.  Sticking with my trusty old TJ07 for the time being. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

At first I thought "Nice. These are nice cases". But then I checked the price... LOL! I thought that the $150 that I spent in my NZXT Phantom H630 was a lot for a case.

At first I thought "Nice. These are nice cases". But then I checked the price... LOL! I thought that the $150 that I spent in my NZXT Phantom H630 was a lot for a case.

Same. Fuck that, I'd go fore case labs at that point.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If you keep that case for the rest of your life 400 is not a bad investment.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, 

My apologies if this is repasta, I'm a relatively new user (few months) but I didn't find this anywhere after a few searches in the forums. Origin PC, the Miami based company founded by Alienware members upset at the Dell buyout, is offering the individual sale of just their cases during this upcoming holiday season. More information can be found here: http://www.originpc.com/promotion/2014/5-year-anniversary-promo/

Personally, I wish I had waited 9-10 months from when I purchased a PC from them; their service has been excellent but being a boutique vendor they do come with a price tag which is considerably higher than if you were to build it yourself. Part of the reason I went with Origin was due to their case, which I liked better than anything which was available if I were to build it myself. Now, don't get misled by their guarantee of 100% server grade aluminum because it's only for the chassis; the outside of it is plastic to cut back on the weight (for instance, my PC is about 100lbs even with the outside being plastic). Additionally, if you really don't want any dust inside your PC (who the hell does?) you are going to need to pick up a few nylons to cover what barely passes for filters (Hexagonal plastic covers with a diameter of almost 5mm isn't gonna stop any dust). However, if you want the aesthetic of the Origin design, and you plan on doing either copious amounts of liquid cooling or want tons of storage space, you will find this to be a solid case. Both models come standard with a 5-Drive bay hot-swap plate which can be upgraded to have locks, and you can choose to have it shipped with an included power supply if you don't feel like going out to buy one (though probably cheaper to get it yourself). The Genesis model (full tower) can fit 24 Hard Drives below or be used for some epic liquid cooling. While even the case alone is a bit pricey, with the cases being around $400-$450 USD, if you were considering Origin anyways it will be significantly cheaper to just purchase the case and build your own PC, if it's something you don't mind doing. 

TL;DR: Origin is offering to sell their signature cases for the first time in honor of their 5th year anniversary, but they are as pricey as you'd expect

Pros: Origin look, solidly built case, tons of room, versatility with motherboard mounting

Cons: Price, More plastic than ideal so you can actually carry the case, doesn't filter dust well

That is actually false. It is a case by case basis but as with anything generally because they get such good pricing compared to you, or the average nobody, they can easily compete with DIY builds. Also, when you factor in the whole QA portion of it all you tend to get about 10x as much reliability with an Origin build versus many of the builds you see here. I know this because I have worked at and with a few of these "boutique dealers". Anyway, Kevin and Origin are awesome. Sad they got suckered into carrying and using AMD junk again but that's business.

Isn't this the case that you can rotate the motherboard orientation? I'm interested if so. 

Yes, it is. You can check it out on their website, but you can order it in 4 configurations: Standard, inverted (case window is on the right side instead of left), 90* (rear I/O is now on top), and 90* inverted

Yes, it is. You can check it out on their website, but you can order it in 4 configurations: Standard, inverted (case window is on the right side instead of left), 90* (rear I/O is now on top), and 90* inverted

So wait you can't change it yourself? 

muh specs 

All parts black

That is actually false. It is a case by case basis but as with anything generally because they get such good pricing compared to you, or the average nobody, they can easily compete with DIY builds. Also, when you factor in the whole QA portion of it all you tend to get about 10x as much reliability with an Origin build versus many of the builds you see here. I know this because I have worked at and with a few of these "boutique dealers". Anyway, Kevin and Origin are awesome. Sad they got suckered into carrying and using AMD junk again but that's business.

I'm saying this as a person who has bought a PC from Origin and loves it: It is cheaper to built it yourself. 

Now, while this is the case (pun intended) you certainly do get several benefits of building a full system through Origin that a diy doesn't provide. I have a fantastic warranty, and 24/7 tech support for life via phone. I can't get that through a DIY. HOWEVER, do not claim that purchasing a PC through Origin is as cheap as building your own. Though it has its benefits, and I still chose this option, you are being misleading by claiming it will cost the same to purchase a PC through Origin as it will to get your case and build one yourself. I will provide examples below:

I recently contacted Origin to have my GPU upgraded, and got a $255 credit towards an ASUS STRIX GTX 980. However, the original price provided to me for this GPU was $765. That's nearly $200 more than it's retail value at most vendors of $579.99. I had to email Origin and wait several days while they "looked into it" and sure enough after sending them half a dozen vendors selling the STRIX 980 for around $579.99 as well as forwarding and sharing screenshots from ASUS's customer support where I asked about the MSRP of the card, they finally offered to allow me to upgrade taking in account a cost of $579.99 instead of $765. However, they still wanted $400 for the STRIX 970, which is being sold at most places for $349.99 (and ASUS actually said the MSRP was $344.99.)   Additionally, when I had my computer built, if I wanted 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 at 2400 MHz, it would have been nearly $400. I got some of the same for $229.99 off of Newegg. My original 770 that they put in the PC was a 4GB 770. They charged me $400 for an EVGA 4GB 770 and my PC arrived with a PNY 770 (which was around $330). Due to my computer having damages in its initial shipping, I had to send it back and told them to either take off the $70 from my order, or give me the actual card I was told I would receive. (To be fair, that was my fault. If I wanted my $70, I should not have given the option to use the more expensive part) Furthermore, when I was looking into GPUs, if I wanted to get a 2nd GPU in SLI, the cost to add an extra would be more than the base cost from any reputable vendor. (check it out now, go to originpc.com and enter their configuration for a millennium or genesis. ONLY select the Nvidia GTX 980 as your GPU. If they were to be equal on cost to what it would be for a DIY to add a second in SLI, the additional 980 would be $579.99. It is actually listed as an additional $695 for adding the extra card)

Now, I don't want anyone to think I am bashing Origin PC. I have an Origin PC and I love it. I knowingly built one through them despite realizing that they overprice their components. But to me the benefits outweigh the costs. And one more thing to consider is that Origin still has expenses to cover, overhead and employees etc... and that's why building a PC through them will cost more than purchasing the parts on your own and assembling it yourself. Now, I don't think this should apply when you are merely upgrading a component and they are simply shipping you the unit for you to replace and send back the old one (which is why I was adamant about receiving a better price for the upgrade to the STRIX 980), but to me this is a fair tradeoff to support a company who will be building and testing a PC for you and standing by should you ever require support. Given the issues I had with my shipping (there was a leak in the cooling unit) this has already been extremely beneficial for me, as if I did a DIY and had a leak, I would have been screwed. But for people who are confident in their skills to build PCs and don't wish to shell out the extra cash for a company to assemble it for you, if you were interested in this case and not the price which normally came with it from having to order a full system, this is a fantastic deal for you!

So wait you can't change it yourself? 

Honestly... I have no idea. I ordered my PC before you could just order the case separate. They have a live sales/customer service chat running from 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM EST, as well as a 24/7 tech support line. If you wanted to try to contact them via either method I bet they could give a buttload more info than I can :D

Sad they got suckered into carrying and using AMD junk again but that's business.

Don't be such a fanboy, it's not even relevant to this topic. 

"Server Grade steel" sounds extremely gimmicky.

Because a server is the ultimate test of strength...

Its like the people who are excited because such and such uses Aircraft grade aluminum, it honestly doesn't mean anything.

More so on topic, $400 really isn't all that bad for what you get if it is what you are looking for. A 5 bay hotswap cage is around $100, $200 for a (presumably) well built case, $100 for the name and prestige. Better than the Murderbox at what, a grand for prestige?

I do not share your excitement about those looks. Looks like a standard randomly stamped, bland teenager-marketed case. Reminds me of a lot of old Alienware and ASUS cases. Hell even that ghastly orange Acer computer from a few years ago.

The only pre-made manufacturer's case I'd even be remotely interested in buying separately would be Digital Storm's bolt case, and even then, not even in the neighbourhood of $400.

At least this "anniversary special" proves that the target audience for these companies consists of idiots and children. $400? Someone arrest these people.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

problem is it has the same name as the gawd awful program from EA, i don't want any part of my PC to have the same name as the program that makes BF4 so annoying to deal with.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

If a case goes above and beyond then its worth the 400 dollars. Its a lot but its something your going to have for years and years hopefully. I wouldn't mind paying that. But its got to be the right case. This one however is not for me. Looks cool, just not for me.

I will be ordering a few of these to play with. Also, good exscuse for me to call Kevin and give him shit about letting AMD bribe him into carrying that crap again lol.

If it was maybe $300 then I would think about it.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Yeah that price is shit. You can get a nice mountainmods or caselabs case for that kinda scratch.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs