AT&T locks your iPad Air 2's SIM so you can't switch carriers without a new one

Syntaxvgm

Based on other sources, that statement was wrong all along. This makes since, given that the Apple SIM isn't supported by Verizon.

verizon choose to don't support apple sim on launch dunno why, but i'm sure that something apple has to do in order to support a carrier, not something the carrier should change to support the device, since its controlled through software

if its embedded how can you replace it?

you can't that's why some people were furious on the thread i made reporting the news

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

verizon choose to don't support apple sim on launch dunno why, but i'm sure that something apple has to do in order to support a carrier, not something the carrier should change to support the device, since its controlled through software

you can't that's why some people were furious on the thread i made reporting the news

Read the edit to my post. I'm pretty sure that the site linked in that thread is the only one saying that it's embedded.

soooooo is what att doing even legal? O.o hopefully apple slaps them with a NopeDildo

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

image.jpg

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

soooooo is what att doing even legal? O.o hopefully apple slaps them with a NopeDildo

Of course it's legal, but, again, that shady Apple Insider site isn't reliable enough imo. Apple's info about the SIM implies that it can be removed. Unless someone has pics proving that there's no slot, that is.

I hope everyone knows that the iPad air 2 DOES have a removable sim.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Read the edit to my post. I'm pretty sure that the site linked in that thread is the only one saying that it's embedded.

hmm, well they dunno why they couldn't said it was embedded, searched a few unboxing, all of them were shit or where about the wifi only model, though ill be surprised if the site i pulled the news was wrong about that, they don't calle it iVerge sometimes for nothing

edit: nope i was a idiot reading the article and got confused, they do say it is removable, ill take the piss and fix that thread -__-

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I wonder if they will ever get their heads out of their asses.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

but like i said, isnt the "Apple sim" virtual? I read the ipad air and mini 3 dont have sim slots, just apple sims

no its a physical sim

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

So you need a whole new sim? Well I work at VZW, and I'd you bring in a device to activate we supply a new sim. So I don't see the issue.

So you need a whole new sim? Well I work at VZW, and I'd you bring in a device to activate we supply a new sim. So I don't see the issue.

It's proprietary, and I assume you have to order a new blank sim from apple. ~30 USD maybe? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's proprietary, and I assume you have to order a new blank sim from apple. ~30 USD maybe?

No because Apple makes the iPad and sells them to VZW and AT&T. The sim slot would have to be compatible for both companies.

No because Apple makes the iPad and sells them to VZW and AT&T. The sim slot would have to be compatible for both companies.

Right, but it's not your cheap average card I guarantee it. And it if you want to do like smart talk or something like along those lines, you have to buy a new one directly from apple. And there's not reason with it. The card that comes with the Ipad will no longer work for you

muh specs 

All parts black

I hope everyone knows that the iPad air 2 DOES have a removable sim.

lol, it would be silly to assume that a sim is non-removable......I'm pretty surprised that so many people thought the Apple sim was non-removable, the Apple hatred has clouded your minds.

lol, it would be silly to assume that a sim is non-removable......I'm pretty surprised that so many people thought the Apple sim was non-removable, the Apple hatred has clouded your minds.

No some popular news site had it wrong and just edited it recently 

muh specs 

All parts black

It was mostly the Apple lovers spreading it.

Isn't this how it is anyway? If you activate your SIM card onto any carrier, isn't it locked onto that carrier? If you want to switch you'll need a SIM card from another carrier no?

Technically it is exactly how it is right now, but Apple "showcased" that you could use theirs and transfer the device between carriers without having to buy a SIM, only have to download the information onto the SIM.

According to this apparently, if you bring an Apple SIM to AT&T and activate it there, it's permanent. So there's no point to the Apple SIM if it's going to be hard locked to a carrier anyway.

However, I believe this might be a huge misunderstanding, but you never know cause Apple. Could have been AT&T doing it or Apple forgot to check something, I don't know.

Well, to be fair I saw only the thread and quick summary and picture of it, and I didn't see a physical Apple SIM card anywhere, so I thought there wasn't a SIM card and that it was virtual and you could overwrite the carrier's information freely(of course within limitation of Apple's system).

Apple Hatred?  please, if people keep inferring that any negative opinion is superficial and unjustified it will only propagate the fanboy rants on this forum.  There are many legitimate reasons why people thought the sim was not removable, and regardless,  people are allowed to not like the way a technology is presented or is manipulated by carriers (carrier specific android roms for example) without being dismissed summarily as haters.

In the end the truth always becomes apparent.  If people don't accept it,  then you can call them haters.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

While I'm not the largest Apple fan, I do hope Apple gets AT&T (and others) for this nonsense, e.g. SIM has to go through an Apple software verification before being accepted into the device, successfully wasting AT&T's (again, and others) time and resources.

That would be a genuinely nice bitch slap for this anti-consumer practice.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wait, you're saying you didn't have to before? I thought it was to change carriers, get new sim for like $10, it's how I use my unlocked phone out of the country.

That's how they did it before. Now, apple has mad a universal sim that allows you to change carriers in settings without swapping cards. At&t has disabled this feature because they don't want you to be able to just change providers whenever you want. They want to make it as complicated as legally possible. Verizon is refusing to use this technology also. Both companies are anti consumer and are stifling a pretty neat new technology. 

I really hope that if this type of sim is going to become the norm that they find away to prevent carriers locking it before it spreads to mobiles.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

All of you people thinking that Apple will do something about this are, frankly, idiots. Do you really think that this was done without Apple's knowledge? Here is another article explaining how it works and what's really going on, since you people seem to lack the common sense to figure it out yourselves. I seriously can't fathom how anyone could be dumb enough to believe that it was done completely behind Apple's back. I guess that what happens when naive minds are fooled into believing that a company is benevolent and pro-consumer! (Hint: Pro-consumer companies aren't worth hundreds of billions of dollars.)

I really hope that if this type of sim is going to become the norm that they find away to prevent carriers locking it before it spreads to mobiles.

It's what I've been warning you all about, but people still want the death of the SIM just because it's physical. Ridiculous.

It's what I've been warning you all about, but people still want the death of the SIM just because it's physical. Ridiculous.

Oh I know, this is what I said about it in the very first thread"

. In fact it could be argued that if you need to call your carrier in order  to change  it might even make it easier for carriers to lock devices to their network.

There is no evidence that says this new technology will stop devices from being locked.

People aren't opposed to this because it's apple, they are opposed because there is a downside and they have genuine concerns.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234208-apple-wants-to-kill-the-normal-sim-card-updated-to-fix-a-really-dumb-mistake-i-made/

I've always been of an open mind about how things can turn out. I've always maintained that people should always consider the possibilities (good and bad) rather than just make assumptions or believe the marketing hype.