Beginner in flash photography.

Froger96
hi all,

now i am a beginner photographer and i want to invest in my first flash, and first i was looking at the Yongnou YN-560 Mk 3, but then i found it was full manual, and as far as i know, as i have a canon 70D, TTL or some variant of it is good for a beginner as it sort helps to set power and etc... but how hard is a manual flash to use? what would people suggest as a first flash for under £100 which has 180 + 90 tilt swivel head, i want to mainly use it for indoor shooting such as very small gigs of bands at like pubs etc... but would like to have room to expand into different things and learn to use in manual, what is everyone's suggestions and ideas.

im currently looking at these two flashes as cheap options just as i start up so i can see if i want to persue flash photography:

and

thanks in advance.

hi all,

now i am a beginner photographer and i want to invest in my first flash, and first i was looking at the Yongnou YN-560 Mk 3, but then i found it was full manual, and as far as i know, as i have a canon 70D, TTL or some variant of it is good for a beginner as it sort helps to set power and etc... but how hard is a manual flash to use? what would people suggest as a first flash for under £100 which has 180 + 90 tilt swivel head, i want to mainly use it for indoor shooting such as very small gigs of bands at like pubs etc... but would like to have room to expand into different things and learn to use in manual, what is everyone's suggestions and ideas.

im currently looking at these two flashes as cheap options just as i start up so i can see if i want to persue flash photography:

and

thanks in advance.

I've done a bit of flash photography myself and I'd recommend going the manual flash route, if only to understand the basics better. They're pretty easy to use once you get past the initial hurdles (which you do by just playing around with settings). Yongnuo do some good value manual flashes so they make a great starting option.

It kind of depends on your situation as well. Will you have time to set up and control the variables (portraiture, studio photography, etc)? or will you need to use the flash run and gun style (e.g event photography, conventions, etc)?

Also, read this asap http://strobist.blogspot.com.au/2006/03/lighting-101.html   ;)

I never use flash for capturing portraits because it distract the object. I always use on-camera light or led lights soft lights with stand with good dimmer control. , I can have control over the lighting of the composition of the subject and can adjust direction and intensity of light.