Apple Updates Malware Definitions to Protect Against Botnet Threat Coordinated via Reddit

Builder

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/04/iworm-malware-xprotect/

@LAwLz They got on this one fast :P

For those of you that haven't heard of why this happens yet, (get on your RSS bro!) the infection is a trojan that masquerades as the installer for popular pirated software like Photoshop. http://www.thesafemac.com/iworm-method-of-infection-found/ So no, the Mac is not suddenly vulnerable. Trojans exist for all platforms and the moral of the story, as always, is DON'T PIRATE YOUR SHIT!

In an effort to address the threat, Apple has now updated its "Xprotect" anti-malware system to recognize two different variants of the iWorm malware and prevent them from being installed on users' machines.

Honestly even I'm shocked by this one. They got on this faster than I've ever seen before and faster than a lot of other companies I've known of as well. Maybe this means a stronger security effort from them in the future. I sure hope so!

xprotect_iworm.jpg

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Osx has built in antivirus? O,o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You didn't know that?! Go into your terminal and use the ps command to view processes.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Of course it does. Apple is surprisingly not awful at security. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You didn't know that?! Go into your terminal and use the ps command to view processes.

im not running osx currently, decided to wait for yosemite. In the mean time im using my ssd in my ps3, gtav loads sooooo much faster xD 

TIL

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

TIL

Had to say not awful because I'd get flamed for saying otherwise.

They're good at security. Not fantastic, but good.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

im sure its better than msse

im sure its better than msse

I like to think so. It does a good job of staying the fuck out of your way. (silent updates)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Does that show XProtect?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I can still manage though not seriously of course: It's easy to have a secure system if you mostly copy/paste freebsd

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can still manage though not seriously of course: It's easy to have a secure system if you mostly copy/paste freebsd

Ehhh...they didn't really though. I mean it has the networking stack I believe and some other components, (networking stack IS a big security feature) but much of the stuff in Darwin is different because the kernel was so strange at the time being a hybrid microkernel.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

To be fair, Windows has a malware tool too, though it's likely less powerful.

To be fair, Windows has a malware tool too, though it's likely less powerful.

I know. I use Security Essentials (among other tools) on my machines as well. XProtect is slightly different though because it works completely in the background.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I know. I use Security Essentials (among other tools) on my machines as well. XProtect is slightly different though because it works completely in the background.

I was actually talking about the monthly malware removal too. For some dumb reason, MSE isn't available for Windows 8 and later. They feel that Defender is enough. That actually runs in the background, though.

I was actually talking about the monthly malware removal too. For some dumb reason, MSE isn't available for Windows 8 and later. They feel that Defender is enough. That actually runs in the background, though.

Yeah but XProtect is like background background. Most people don't even know (or believe :D) it exists when I tell them.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah but XProtect is like background background. Most people don't even know (or believe :D) it exists when I tell them.

Yeah, I know. It's Apple's style.

Yeah, I know. It's Apple's style.

Honestly it concerns me a little bit because I do indeed like knowing what's going on with my computer so I have a script that tells me when it detects an update to the definitions plist so I know it's at least doing something.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's because defender is the same thing as mse expect the gui and updates automatically

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Not bad Apple. Makes me want a Mac Mini even more.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not bad Apple. Makes me want a Mac Mini even more.

not-bad-meme.jpg

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /