Get Bent: John Gruber of Daring Fireball Shares his Opinion on iPhone 6 Plus "Bendgate"

Builder

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/09/23/get-bent

I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

He makes a lot of good points. I'd like to point out that his Note 3 comparison isn't really fair because not only is it not possible to subject the two devices to identical forces USING YOUR HANDS, plastic is more resilient to this kind of thing. I'd like to see a similar test done to a One M8.

http://time.com/3422661/iphone-6-plus-bend/

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It's like a DIY curved phone... good thinking apple!!

but seriously if it is bending and causing problems probably not a good thing but if it is intended to have that flexibility i guess it's ok then

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

FYI, it's Lew from unboxtherapy's video

scrap that, video wasn't there in the original post, has been edited in now

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I don't care for the comparison, but if phones are bending, then that's an issue.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I think the m8 would fare a lot better because it's considerably smaller than the 6+, and it has the curved back, which I believe would also add a fair bit of strength.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

One M8 does not bend like that AT ALL.

Pretty brutal.

Well actually I found a few cases of bending occurring from casual use...but of course this is a bit distorted because there simply aren't 10 million One M8 users out there.

I'd still be interested to see how other metal phones fare.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I've seen the iPhone 6 Plus bending problem. Apple's desire for "thinness"

is starting to make their devices weaker. Not good for consumers.

NOTE TO APPLE

I know you desire in making your devices and computers

"thinner". But I think the cracks are starting to show.

There is such a thing as "too thin" and you need to

start making your devices a bit thicker or use a

stronger/tougher metal to give your devices

their much needed strength they need.

;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Pretty brutal.

Neither does the M7. Have dropped my HTC ONE M7 6 times on the face, and only a small unnoticeable chip in the top corner. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Neither does the M7. Have dropped my HTC ONE M7 6 times on the face, and only a small unnoticeable chip in the top corner. 

Try full-force bending it like he did and see what happens.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's just ridiculous. Who came up with the idea to make the iphone even thinner? Nobody asked for it. It's not like with the development of the iPad when people didn't know that they were going to want it.

The bending issue on the iPhone doesn't make apple look very professional. Didn't they test that during development?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Dropping it has nothing to do with grabbing a phone with both hands and trying to bend it in half. 

To be fair, a phone shouldn't be able to bend and stay that way. It is a flawed design to make this big of a phone out of metal like that. You can't defend its bending due to what's it's made of. If it bends when made out of a certain material then the phone should not be made out of that material. Simple.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Dropping it has nothing to do with grabbing a phone with both hands and trying to bend it in half. 

Very true, but thought i might mention it, due to iphone's also breaking easily when dropped face first. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Pretty brutal.

If your allowed to you should do a bend test with the windows phone m8

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

And yet the next iPhone will be thinner again :( but seriously this is why designs like the HTC One M8 are great, and I don't think they need to be slimmer than that at all.

Very true, but thought i might mention it, due to iphone's also breaking easily when dropped face first. 

Any flagship phone can break when dropped face first. I generally regard Nokia's as very solid, and my friend's wife shattered her 920 by dropping it onto dirt (hard packed trail). None of these phones are destruction proof. The same thing could have just as easily happened to any other phone.

I honestly don't even see how people come onto forums, and brag about dropping their phones so many times. You are lucky you don't have a shattered mess of a screen.  I take care of my stuff, and if I dropped my even one time it would bother me a lot. 

I would also like to see a one m8 tested. I feel that it will do well, but mainly because it is thicker and has a curved back which helps with the structure of the phone.

Any flagship phone can break when dropped face first. I generally regard Nokia's as very solid, and my friend's wife shattered her 920 by dropping it onto dirt (hard packed trail). None of these phones are destruction proof. The same thing could have just as easily happened to any other phone.

I honestly don't even see how people come onto forums, and brag about dropping their phones so many times. You are lucky you don't have a shattered mess of a screen.  I take care of my stuff, and if I dropped my even one time it would bother me a lot. 

Your wife broke a 920!? my 920 has been through hell and back and it still works fine surprisingly. Hell, at one point it even got dropped out of a moving car! I honestly dont know how mine has lasted this long haha.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I'd like to point out that his Note 3 comparison isn't really fair because not only is it not possible to subject the two devices to identical forces USING YOUR HANDS, plastic is more resilient to this kind of thing..

I don't think that the stress tolerance of different materials is the issue, but the choice to use it and consumer expectations of durability.  The concern is that as more time passes an owner of this device is at ever greater risk of inadvertently subjecting the phone to this level of stress.

Regardless, Apple is hardly the first to make a weak phone.  It just means that OtterBox may make a killing on their ipone6+ cases.

Well actually I found a few cases of bending occurring from casual use...but of course this is a bit distorted because there simply aren't 10 million One M8 users out there.

I'd still be interested to see how other metal phones fare.

your precocious iphone has a flaw....deal with it

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/09/23/get-bent

He makes a lot of good points. I'd like to point out that his Note 3 comparison isn't really fair because not only is it not possible to subject the two devices to identical forces USING YOUR HANDS, plastic is more resilient to this kind of thing. I'd like to see a similar test done to a One M8.

Great, another shill thread/post from you. Who the f*ck is John Gruber? What is 'Daring Fireball'? Why should I care what his <100 word piece says? He doesn't really make any points at all, let alone, 'a lot'. The iP6(+) is an engineering failure. It bends, and it bends too easily. Other phones either bend and bounce back (ie Note 3) or don't at all (ie One M7/M8). It bends way easier than it should, case closed.

It doesn't matter if a hand bend test isn't very scientific, it's enough to demonstrate how weak the iP6+ is compared to other phones.

Go to ~1:30

Presumably, that it won't bend in their pocket, I guess. I think that's reasonable to expect from a phone.

I agree!