Is My Case Worth Modding?

TheSven

Hi. I've been meaning to upgrade my case (Corsair Carbide 200R) and get a real GPU rather than integrated. I asked on a different thread and I decided to go with a Corsair Vengeance C70. However, that won't be until after Christmas. I was planning to buy core components like the new chassis, graphics card and motherboard (cos the old one's pretty sh*t) this year then watercool with a custom loop the year after. The available loop in the C70 is a 120 60mm thick rad in the back, a 30mm thick 240 in the top and a 60mm 240 on the floor in the front, with a dual bay res/pump in the drive bays and a cooled CPU (i7 4770)/ GPU (probably an R9 290, get the DirectCUii version now and the waterblock by EK later). However, today I watched an OC3D video where TTL mods the front of the case to fit a 360 60mm rad in push pull. You could also have a 120 in the back (not enough clearance in the top for a rad you see). This gets rid of all the drive cages but I could put my mechanical drive on the floor between the PSU and the rad then velcro my SSD behind the motherboard tray. I don't know where I would put the res/pump though. I would also like a case window so I would mod the side panel to fit one of those. I think white side panels would look cool for a bit of contrast but I'm not sure how I could colour them. Would plastidip work? This would be my first mod ever. Do you think it's worth it or should I just go with the C70? The modding video can be found here: 

. Thanks in advance guys. Here's some before and afters from the TTL vid.

post-130525-0-24382500-1410641278_thumb.

post-130525-0-21376300-1410641293_thumb.

Hi. I've been meaning to upgrade my case (Corsair Carbide 200R) and get a real GPU rather than integrated. I asked on a different thread and I decided to go with a Corsair Vengeance C70. However, that won't be until after Christmas. I was planning to buy core components like the new chassis, graphics card and motherboard (cos the old one's pretty sh*t) this year then watercool with a custom loop the year after. The available loop in the C70 is a 120 60mm thick rad in the back, a 30mm thick 240 in the top and a 60mm 240 on the floor in the front, with a dual bay res/pump in the drive bays and a cooled CPU (i7 4770)/ GPU (probably an R9 290, get the DirectCUii version now and the waterblock by EK later). However, today I watched an OC3D video where TTL mods the front of the case to fit a 360 60mm rad in push pull. You could also have a 120 in the back (not enough clearance in the top for a rad you see). This gets rid of all the drive cages but I could put my mechanical drive on the floor between the PSU and the rad then velcro my SSD behind the motherboard tray. I don't know where I would put the res/pump though. I would also like a case window so I would mod the side panel to fit one of those. I think white side panels would look cool for a bit of contrast but I'm not sure how I could colour them. Would plastidip work? This would be my first mod ever. Do you think it's worth it or should I just go with the C70? The modding video can be found here: 

. Thanks in advance guys. Here's some before and afters from the TTL vid.

I would suggest you to get the white corsair C70 if you wanted white panels but as water cooling goes it is a bit hard to work in since room is slightly limited in the C70 and 200R especially with a 60mm rad in the front. Not sure if you'd be interest but the corsair 750D is a more water cooling friendly case to work in so to speak.

c70_w_up_1.png

I think modding the 200R really comes down to whether or not it has any special meaning or value to you.

Otherwise, it would be much simpler (and a lot less troublesome) to get a new case which will natively fit the watercooling components you want to get. Imagine going through all the work to mod your current case, only to find that there is no place to mount the res/pump properly or that the cables from the PSU get in the way of the space you thought the HDD could sit. Personally, I would just stick with your original plan in getting a new case.

Mainboard ASUS Maximus VII Hero | CPU i5-4690K @ 4.7GHz | RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB | Storage Kingston V300 SSD 240GB & 120GB, WD Black 1TB HDD | GPU EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0

PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 AX240 watercooling kit / additional 2 x 140mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED fans, 1 Cooler Master R4-L2R 120mm fan

I would suggest you to get the white corsair C70 if you wanted white panels but as water cooling goes it is a bit hard to work in since room is slightly limited in the C70 and 200R especially with a 60mm rad in the front. Not sure if you'd be interest but the corsair 750D is a more water cooling friendly case to work in so to speak.

c70_w_up_1.png

If I was going to Obsidian, I would get the 450D because of the compactness. I do like the handles on the C70 and the industrial look so I think I'll go with that. :)

yeah i'm sorta in the same situation with my bitfenix shinobi 

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...

If you are pleased with the look of the top and side of your case (currently no side window, yeah?), then I would say get the C70. Although, you could turn your 200r into a pretty awesome modding project by installing your own window and revising the front panel with some modder's mesh for better airflow. There is potential there!

Like Linus says, "A case and a monitor are like pieces of furniture; they last across changes in standards of components."