Any love for a MacBook Pro here? (linus pls)

TechnoGarrett

My MacBook was having some heat related issues and I was going to take it apart, clean out all the dust and Beagle hair, and repaste the CPU.

I thought if I was taking it apart why not put a brand new 850 Pro 256GB in there.

So here are some pictures from the upgrade:

The 850 in all its glory:

RZOFqPi.jpg

I've never cleaned out my fans:

GOeugp6.jpg

The insides:

hJL0lWa.jpg

Yes that's foil. My anti static mat was delayed. I was told on Tom's Hardware it would work in a pinch if I grounded it. It worked just fine.

Apple's crusty and shameful job of thermal paste:

XvVsoPe.jpg

And a lot of Beagle hairs

Thermal paste on the heatsink:

4OKTZI7.jpg

My dingle berry of thermal paste:

VTYHcIU.jpg

Yes I applied too much. I'll change it in 6 months though.

My temps before were around 185-190F just browsing the web. And the case was too hot to handle.

Now, sitting here writing this I'm at a solid 107F with my fans at 2001RPM. Pretty good if you ask me. My case is just a bit warm now. But it's not warm everywhere like it was before. Only on the path of the heatsink and where the die is.

And not to mention the blazing speeds of the SSD. It used to be around 1.5-2 minutes to launch Photoshop. Now it's almost instant. My boot times are around 5-7 seconds from a cold start. I can launch Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Bridge, Premeire, Encore, Audio Media Encoder, Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Motion, Logic Pro, and Word just for kicks without my system even showing a sign of a lag.

Needless to say, SSD master race.

Yes I own an Alienware, yes I overpaid for it, yes it runs Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 80-85FPS, yes I like it, yes I can game at Starbucks, are we done?

Nice, looks like it needed a clean in there anyway, SSD is always a megaplus and that's a very good one nice choice.

Please use Celsius when talking about PC hardware temps.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

That chip looks like it can come out.

That SSD is going to pretty nice :D 

I love macbook pros. they are like my favourite not gaming laptops.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

That's a lot of thermal paste.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Nice SSD.

Overpriced laptop.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What do you mean that chip looks like it can come out?

It looks to be soldered and glued on to the board, so imo it's there for good :P

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Nice... What model of MacBook Pro is that? I can see it is a 15" or larger, but that CPU looks like a Core 2 Duo.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

That's a lot of thermal paste.

Like I said, I know. That's about how much I do on desktops. Muscle memory, really. Didn't think to use less as the CPU die is much smaller.

The SSD is amazing lol. I love PCs, but this MacBook just rocks it for everything else. And not to mention the beautiful design.

Please use Celsius when talking about PC hardware temps.

I typically use metric all the time despite living in the US, but I was complained at on another forum for using celsius on a US website. Will use from now on.

Nice, looks like it needed a clean in there anyway, SSD is always a megaplus and that's a very good one nice choice.

Ohhh yes, I was careful with the logic board, but with the fan and backplate I went outside and blew them out with the compressor. Jeez dust was everywhere.

Yes I own an Alienware, yes I overpaid for it, yes it runs Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 80-85FPS, yes I like it, yes I can game at Starbucks, are we done?

What do you mean that chip looks like it can come out?

It looks to be soldered and glued on to the board, so imo it's there for good :P

oh okay It looked reaplacable. but than again I know nothing about motherboards for laptops.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I typically use metric all the time despite living in the US, but I was complained at on another forum for using celsius on a US website. Will use from now on.

I don't care where someone lives, referring to hardware temps in Fahrenheit is stupid as fuck. That forum should be burned with a raging 10,000c firestorm.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I like osx, recentky hackintoshed :3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Nice SSD.

Overpriced laptop.

It's actually not overpriced for the specs. The price is right below the PC equivalent.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

That looks so much easier to take apart than the 2009 one I took apart.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Noooooo why would you put such a beautiful SSD in a Mac?!?!?!?!?! Jk jk, I don't mind macbooks but every time I see an iMac or Mac Pro I want to rip it apart  :D

Project MEGA - My New Main PC

Project NANO - A Scratchbuilt Home Server.

Nice Macbook! I upgraded my Macbook Pro recently too. 16gb Crucial ram, 256gb Crucial M550 and a 1tb Seagate SSHD in place of the optical drive. I was planning on changing the thermal paste as well. Which one did you use?

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Overpriced laptop.

SO CLOSE. SOOOOOOOO CLOOOOOOOOSE!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Nice Macbook! I upgraded my Macbook Pro recently too. 16gb Crucial ram, 256gb Crucial M550 and a 1tb Seagate SSHD in place of the optical drive. I was planning on changing the thermal paste as well. Which one did you use?

I used Arctic MX-4. Arctic Silver is slight conductive or capacitive, but I can't remember which one. Either way, that's bad. MX-4 is safe.

Noooooo why would you put such a beautiful SSD in a Mac?!?!?!?!?! Jk jk, I don't mind macbooks but every time I see an iMac or Mac Pro I want to rip it apart  :D

Oh yes iMac and MacPro are both decent computers. But the price is just absolutely ridiculous. Hackintosh master race.

That looks so much easier to take apart than the 2009 one I took apart.

Oh yes. I took apart my old white model and boy, that was a mistake.

Oh yes iMac and MacPro are both decent computers. But the price is just absolutely ridiculous. Hackintosh master race.

Can we please stay on the topic of the build?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Why did you put a SAMSUNG product in an APPLE laptop?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Why did you put a SAMSUNG product in an APPLE laptop?

Because Samsung makes great SSDs and Apple makes great laptops? A lot of Apple laptops actually ship with Samsung SSDs. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Because Samsung makes great SSDs and Apple makes great laptops? A lot of Apple laptops actually ship with Samsung SSDs. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Yeah, but the rivalry between Apple and samsung though

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!