Pre-Ordering Games

Majestic

Hello, 

So I've seen allot of people around me pre-ordering games lately. Be it on steam, origin or other digital marketplaces. I have severe problems with it, due to the AAA-industry's way of handling it. But no matter what I say to them, they don't think pre-ordering is a big deal and won't change anything. So I want a sort of 'vox populi' on this subject. I don't want the argument to be one-sided too much so i'll hold off my take on the subject after i've seen some responses.

Why do you pre-order games, specifically digital games? As opposed to just waiting 'till the release, watch reviews, and then buy it if it's good.

I can sort of understand pre-ordering physical copies due to the limited stock sometimes, allthough you might want to get onboard the digital-train if you're still buying physical copies.

Regards, 

Majestic

I don't like to pre order digital games unless I can't get a physical copy

Unleash TotalBiscuit on them.

Companies know people preorder and regret it later. But every preorder for EA, Ubisoft etc is a good $60+ in their pockets. EA recently refused to give out review samples of Sims 4. They know the game will get some serious negative reviews, lowering preorders in particular. They want people to be ignorant. They aren't in the business of educating, but rather emptying our pockets.

As consumers, we should aim to inform ourselves of what they're doing and do exactly the opposite. Don't preorder, stay informed by reading reviews, buy games once you know you won't get burned. It forces them to make good games, and not screw you over. Problem is, there are too many 12 year olds preordering no matter how bad the game is.

I pre-orderd destiny after playing the alpha and i though to my self its kind of fun and i accidentally got the ghost edition (don't even know what you get with it)

I also stay away from digital cause unless lord abbott (Australia's PM) game us fast internet i would be able to download a game in an hour not download an 6gb game in a whole night

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I pre-orderd destiny after playing the alpha and i though to my self its kind of fun and i accidentally got the ghost edition (don't even know what you get with it)

I also stay away from digital cause unless lord abbott (Australia's PM) game us fast internet i would be able to download a game in an hour not download an 6gb game in a whole night

I played the destiny beta and cancelled my preorder straight away

Unleash TotalBiscuit on them.

Yep and I agree with TB

Pre-ordering is stupid, sure if its a game you KNOW you will play...like a sequel to something so you have a relatively good idea of what its like or you want to complete the story that makes SOME sense though I still do not agree with it

pre-ordering has no benefit, its not like a shop that runs out of stock, (though technically they can) really all you are doing is spending your money on a completely unknown, with no chance of refund and no guarenteee of fixes

At least wait until reviews come out, if for example TB gets a review in a week early, and says its a solid port and the game is good, I guess a pre-order MIGHT be ok

But 99% of the time they are stupid

(Unless you get like 50% off or something)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yep and I agree with TB

Pre-ordering is stupid, sure if its a game you KNOW you will play...like a sequel to something so you have a relatively good idea of what its like or you want to complete the story that makes SOME sense though I still do not agree with it

pre-ordering has no benefit, its not like a shop that runs out of stock, (though technically they can) really all you are doing is spending your money on a completely unknown, with no chance of refund and no guarenteee of fixes

At least wait until reviews come out, if for example TB gets a review in a week early, and says its a solid port and the game is good, I guess a pre-order MIGHT be ok

But 99% of the time they are stupid

(Unless you get like 50% off or something)

The only game I've preordered this year is CoD Advanced Warfare because I want the Xbox One that comes with it because it's a limited edition

The only game I've preordered this year is CoD Advanced Warfare because I want the Xbox One that comes with it because it's a limited edition

get-out-no-seriously-just-get-out.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No

:P  :P  :P  :P

An xbox AND call of duty, now that IS a combination you don't see very often on this forum

:P  :P  :P  :P

An xbox AND call of duty, now that IS a combination you don't see very often on this forum

I'm going to trade in CoD as soon as I get it I only want the Xbox it looks amazing and it has a 1 TB hard drive

@GhostWindGamer,

If you're going to trade it in, it isn't exactly meeting the criteria for the subject. I'm talking about seeing a game on the storepage and pre-ordering the game based on the storepage or word of mouth from your friends.

PS:  So you're willing to pay $100 extra for a skin and 500GB extra space? I don't know, 499 is allot for a device only pushing 720@30.

I'm going to trade in CoD as soon as I get it I only want the Xbox it looks amazing and it has a 1 TB hard drive

Ah thats much better

If you're going to trade it in, it isn't exactly meeting the criteria for the subject. I'm talking about seeing a game on the storepage and pre-ordering the game based on the storepage or word of mouth from your friends.

I was just making sure @ShadowCaptain understood why I preordered CoD but when it comes to preordering things off the store page well I don't because I don't have a rig that can run anything because I don't have a rig my 10 year old pc died a few months ago

I was just making sure @ShadowCaptain understood why I preordered CoD but when it comes to preordering things off the store page well I don't because I don't have a rig that can run anything because I don't have a rig my 10 year old pc died a few months ago

I will sleep better knowing this! 

Nar there are still valid reasons to own consoles, I plan to get the next gen consoles soon myself

but back on topic, I still think pre-ordering is stupid unless its something limited edition that you cannot get again, at a heavily discounted price, or is a sequel so you know what to expect

any new game that comes out is an unknown, is not worth pre-ordering

@GhostWindGamer,

PS:  So you're willing to pay $100 extra for a skin and 500GB extra space? I don't know, 499 is allot for a device only pushing 720@30.

Yes I'm willing to pay an extra $100 for a skin and 500gb extra because I recently sold my xbox one and want another that's more visually appealing

I will sleep better knowing this! 

Nar there are still valid reasons to own consoles, I plan to get the next gen consoles soon myself

It's easier to drop a couple of controllers and a few beers in front of your mates then taking turns on a pc

I pre-ordered Dragon Age Inquisition digital deluxe off origin because I loved Origins and quite liked DA2 and I intend to take a couple off days off work upon release, I also intend to pre-order the Witcher 3 as I really like the books, played the first game a lot and consider 2 to be one of my favourite games, plus I like CD Projekt Red

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

It's easier to drop a couple of controllers and a few beers in front of your mates then taking turns on a pc

Well we generally just take our laptops and have a LAN :P

I pre-ordered Dragon Age Inquisition digital deluxe off origin because I loved Origins and quite liked DA2 and I intend to take a couple off days off work upon release, I also intend to pre-order the Witcher 3 as I really like the books, played the first game a lot and consider 2 to be one of my favourite games, plus I like CD Projekt Red

That is a fair enough reason, I loved witcher 1 + 2 so pre-ordering 3 makes sense

but since you have past experience of the company and previous games there is a much lower risk

but back on topic, I still think pre-ordering is stupid unless its something limited edition that you cannot get again, at a heavily discounted price, or is a sequel so you know what to expect

any new game that comes out is an unknown, is not worth pre-ordering

So, this would then include "pre-order exclusive content" that's just cut-away content from the retail game. I don't quite agree with this line. Neither is a sequel to a succesful series a guarantee for succes. Sim City, Diablo 3, Rome Total War. All very buggy launchtitles.

Well we generally just take our laptops and have a LAN :P

I can't afford a decent laptop or even a decent pc

I can't afford a decent laptop or even a decent pc

:( I am sorry dude

Please, no Console vs. PC discussion. 

But why is it important that you pre-ordered it, instead of waiting for release. I mean this IS Bioware/EA we're talking about, not exactly the most respected/trustworthy of publisher/devs right now. You trust them implicitly to make a game that will be worth your 60bucks? What have they done to earn your unconditional trust?