OnePlus went full retard: releases promotion that "objectifies" womens

AlexGoesHigh

guys, never. go. full. retard... *insert very loud facedesk here*

ok, if the smash your phone contest wasn't enough, oneplus release a contest where they asked women to take a selphie with the oneplus logo written on them or on a holding sheet of paper, the 50 most community voted submissions received an invite for the phone, i mean i'm sure i don't have to say why this is stupid and retarded, but the reactions from some of the submissions were, deserving i must say

he startup OnePlus recently launched its first smartphone, the One, and to deal with production issues it's been letting people buy them by invitation only, slowly offering them to more people as more are produced. It's a weird system, and today OnePlus began supplementing it with a horribly conceived and deeply sexist contest that allows women to jump the line if they're willing to have a bunch of internet dudes vote on their appearance. The contest asks women to draw the OnePlus logo on their body (or on a sheet of paper that they're holding) and then take a photo of themselves and post it in OnePlus' forums. From there, the 50 "most well liked" will get a free T-shirt and have the option of buying the phone.

OnePlus is calling it the "Ladies First" contest, and it's basically as awful as it sounds. To say nothing of the fact that the prize is merely the opportunity to buy a phone at full price, the entire conceit is that the male fans of OnePlus are honoring women by voting on them. "In true gentlemen fashion and because chivalry is not dead, we are giving the lovely ladies of OnePlus a chance to skip the invite line," OnePlus staffer Jerry writes. Jerry introduces the contest by writing that "OnePlus wants to give a shout out to the few but beautiful female fans in our community."

fine example of the should have been expected outcome

Screenshot_2014-08-12_11.51.10.0.png

If you're having trouble imagining why OnePlus might have just a few female fans, there's a good chance that it's related to the wholly off-putting, condescending, and inconsiderate attitudes that this contest demonstrates. The entire contest looks like guys from the depths of the internet finally found some amount of social currency and are using it to coax women into putting on a show for them, or somehow mixing that with a strange form of advertising. OnePlus is hardly the only member of the tech industry that's making a lack of respect for women so pervasive, but this is a truly blatant, bad, and public example of it.

OnePlus has received a few submissions so far, but it's received about as many fake submissions from guys Photoshopping OnePlus logos onto womens' bodies as it has actual submissions. Other comments are men leering over the womens' photos, while others just note that there aren't actually that many women on the forums. A few of the photos have been women standing up against the contest though, with one woman flipping OnePlus off and another woman holding up a sign that reads "This contest is sexist and insulting. Way to inflict self-esteem issues, we don't have enough of those in our society."

Following widespread attention and backlash, OnePlus removed the Ladies First contest page from its forums shortly after 3PM ET. OnePlus does not yet appear to have publicly commented on the promotion, and it has not responded to our own inquiry either.

dontbesexist.0.jpg

IMG_20140812_174216.0.jpg

at least they took it down quickly before it got worst, but the damage is already done, personally i now give a damn about their future release for a long time

Sauce: The Verge

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Fucking retards

Fucked up stupid invite system, phone smashing contest, and now this.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Atleast there is nothing batshit like this with the easy-to-get m8.

Diamond 5 in League :)

the marketing strategy of this company needs some work

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Fucking OnePlus just went and fucked themselves in their fucking tomfuckery assholes. :P

@terrytek will appreciate my liberal use of the F-Bomb.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

WOW, can't believe so many people want the Oneplus One.

please explain? 

its pretty much the nexus for CM...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

please explain? 

People are willing to do this to get one.

People are willing to do this to get one.

ow that thing, yea,  it is pretty insane...

please explain? 

well if people want CM they can root their devices themselves also oppo has a phone with CM out of the box too

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i want them to objectify men so people can laugh instead of getting angry 

this would be the single greatest marketing tactic, statement, and publicity stunt at one time.

Someone needs to do this 

Error: 410

WOW, can't believe so many people want the Oneplus One.

Its a really nice phone. Too bad their marketing team has no idea what the hell their doing.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

But if they asked for this from men who ordered, there wouldn't be any problems.
I'm not approving what they did, it is sexist and disturbing, I'm just saying we're a f'ed up society

well if people want CM they can root their devices themselves also oppo has a phone with CM out of the box too

yes, but it doesnt have the killer specs for the price (i dont think at least)

*all women wish to be pursued*

*then bitch about being objectified*

Logic = dead on this planet.

Edit: Wait, they asked women to do this, and they did it willingly, that disqualifies it as objectification, and invokes the jealous women clause

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Its a really nice phone. Too bad their marketing team has no idea what the hell their doing.

I agree, but i don't want one, i'm fine with my note 3.

Oh no those poor women. Being given the opportunity to get invites by willingly taking pictures of themselves. They must feel so violated right now.

/heavy sarcasm

The only sexism in this contest is against men since they are not allowed to participate.

I like how even when a contest says "men are not allowed to enter" it is somehow still the women that are the victims.

But if they asked for this from men who ordered, there wouldn't be any problems.

I'm not approving what they did, it is sexist and disturbing, I'm just saying we're a f'ed up society

well society has been fucked up since the beginning of time though, difference being is that now we don't kill simple burglars and slave people (generally speaking)

Wait...why would women be mad about this?

I mean...they get a free T-Shirt and an OnePlusOne invitation.

Men should be the angry ones.

Also,this is an marketing strategy to open their market to the female users,which are little.I don't see much wrong with it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Do you want a OneplusOne? Than post a picture of your cat pooping to receive a invite. #LinusCatTips

​* Terms and BlaBla may apply. This is not official.  Please don't do that.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Do you want a OneplusOne? Than post a picture of your cat pooping to enter a invite giveaway. #LinusCatTips

​* Terms and BlaBla may apply. This is not a official giveaway.  Please don't do that.

LOL

"This is not a official giveaway. Please don't do that"