MIT Develops Screen Prototype That Corrects For Vision (Near Sighted...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNdapCs6vR8

So MIT has released this video explaining their research into screen technology that corrects for vision issues such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness, astigmatism, etc. Essentially with this tech, the screen corrects for your vision and you don't need to wear glasses to see what is displayed on the screen perfectly. They show off a current working prototype that you put over your existing smartphone.

As someone who had laser eye surgery for myopia many years ago, and have now developed just enough astigmatism to need glasses to see comfortably, this seems pretty cool. Imagine when you get to work, or when you sit down to play a video game, this is when you can take your glasses OFF, and actually relax or focus without that nose pressure (or without your eyes getting dry from contacts).

---

PS: Hey Linus if you decide to use this in the WAN Show, it's simply pronounced KA-BAM... Erik works fine too ;)

Now, minimize it, and put it in my eye via IOCL' surgery method. That would be amazing. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This is Qui8 a cool news... B) 

Thanks for posting this...

Details separate people.

This is pretty darn cool. Yay for science!

Now, minimize it, and put it in my eye via IOCL' surgery method. That would be amazing. :D

Sounds hell expensive lol.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

this reminds me... is oculus rift compatible with eyeglasses?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

What is IOCL surgery? Tried to google it, not showing any easy answer results. Anyway this is most likely not something you'd want so close to your eye. You'd likely get a permanent screen door effect worse than Oculus Rift Devkit1 :P  

This is pretty cool, but after a while, I don't even notice the glasses on my face.

You're lucky, I can barely stand my glasses by the end of the day. And contacts made me literally more tired by the end of the day while I was in school. Hence why I got laser eye surgery... only to have to start wearing glasses again 7 years later. 

I believe it uses lenses that you adjust to your vision. I haven't looked into it recently, has devkit2 made it so we can wear glasses inside now? If not, the adjustable lenses idea is nice, so long as it allows for correction of a wide range of vision issues and severity of said issues. Anyway I doubt wearing glasses on the inside would be very comfortable, I'd personally likely opt for contacts when wearing a VR headset.

That would be pretty weird, having a screen being perfectly sharp but the bezel and everything around it still blurred. It could be nice, but I don't know if I would pay money for it especially without getting a demo first.

This is pretty cool, but after a while, I don't even notice the glasses on my face.

It bothers my nose more because of the weight than it does my eyes.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Having worn glasses everyday of my life since I was 8, it really doesn't bother me anymore.

Also, the screen will be im correct focus, but the area around your screen won't be. Your keyboard, for example

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Not sure how I could justify this over wearing contacts...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

yes it is, i used it last year without any problems

Pretty cool but I don't need glasses. :P

Some people despise it, like my mom, and likes to walk around practically blind.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

What is IOCL surgery? Tried to google it, not showing any easy answer results. Anyway this is most likely not something you'd want so close to your eye. You'd likely get a permanent screen door effect worse than Oculus Rift Devkit1 :P  

Intro-Ocular Contact Lense. 

A contact lense they put inside your eye.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I think this is quite the technological advancement and I don't think I've seen any other project that has tried to fix vision problems except glasses, contacts (hard and soft), and this one.

When will this bad boy be available to the public?

But one thing I saw was that the screen gets a bit darker from that screen thing...

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

this is cool. But will it adapt to anybody that seems kinda unlikely. And glasses don't bother me at all except for wearing headphone(after extended period of use it hurt, like a lot).

This would be great for me, since I'm near sighted.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Would also serve as a low level security measure, only people with your prescription would be able to properly view your phone. If the film is permanently attached of course, and even though you guys know about it you know some dufus's out there would have no clue.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

glasses don't bother me at all except for wearing headphone(after extended period of use it hurt, like a lot).

I have developed a trick that eliminates this problem for me. It might seem goofy but it saves me from that extreme pain when gaming or watching movies. Now depending on your glasses this may or may not work, but I simply put the branches up over my headphone pads. I keep my head shaved which helps them stay above the pads without slipping, but you can just rest them on the pads too. It's not perfect, but it's better than the pain! 

When will this bad boy be available to the public?

Seems like it's only at the academic/prototype phase at the moment, so whether this becomes a real product or not is not yet in the works. Unless one of the students decides to kickstart this bad boy :P 

Pretty cool but I don't need glasses. :P

Some people despise it, like my mom, and likes to walk around practically blind.

Mine does this too... I will never understand. She uses a magnifying glass rather than put her glasses on :blink:  

the screen will be im correct focus, but the area around your screen won't be. Your keyboard, for example

Huh, that's an interesting point. My mind went straight to gaming when I saw this, in which case I don't need to see my controller at all really. But for keyboard use, I guess it depends how good you are with a keyboard... Then again, unless your vision is TERRIBLE, you don't necessarily need to see the keyboard 'perfectly'. So your conundrum is certainly something these guys should consider, though I don't think it completely invalidates the project.

I have developed a trick that eliminates this problem for me. It might seem goofy but it saves me from that extreme pain when gaming or watching movies. Now depending on your glasses this may or may not work, but I simply put the branches up over my headphone pads. I keep my head shaved which helps them stay above the pads without slipping, but you can just rest them on the pads too. It's not perfect, but it's better than the pain! 

This does not work for me cause I if I do that I see all blurry but I have buyed headphone that don't hurt me haha

Huh, that's an interesting point. My mind went straight to gaming when I saw this, in which case I don't need to see my controller at all really. But for keyboard use, I guess it depends how good you are with a keyboard... Then again, unless your vision is TERRIBLE, you don't necessarily need to see the keyboard 'perfectly'. So your conundrum is certainly something these guys should consider, though I don't think it completely invalidates the project.

This is where touch typing takes care of that, just learn to trust your hand mapping to the keyboard and quit looking down.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.