Steam isn't what they say it is.

JEKapoor

I saw Watch Dogs on Steam for $60, and a retail disc for $30. So really what is the incentive to buy games from steam?

I saw Watch Dogs on Steam for $60, and a retail disc for $30. So really what is the incentive to buy games from steam?

( A coincident) You don't have game installed, and you lost the disc. You're fucked..

Steam has much more features (like trading cards, snapshots, achievements etc). 

Well, you have many other places where you can buy games from at cheaper rate. BTW, Don't get Watch Dogs. You'll regret it. 

Steam is great. There have  great features like steam cloud saves, friends, steam music, trading cards and all sorts of great stuff like free weekends!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

That is just one case. Most games are the same price, if not cheaper. I highly recommend you don't buy Watch Dogs btw. Wait for Steam sales. That is the only time I buy games. Unless it is something I am really into. I would totally buy a new Red Dead game at full price if it were to come to pc.

I should be studying.

Steam makes playing games fun :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Because our master Gaben says so /s

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I think using a single event to try and create an argument for not using Steam is a wee bit bias. Most of the time Steam is a brilliant place to buy games.

Much like what  @Prodigydeadeye said, it's a single event.

And like @ANUPLUCIFERGAMER said, if you lose the disc you're well and truly fucked. (And I still don't know how to pronounce his profile name).

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

That is just one case. Most games are the same price, if not cheaper. I highly recommend you don't buy Watch Dogs btw. Wait for Steam sales. That is the only time I buy games. Unless it is something I am really into. I would totally buy a new Red Dead game at full price if it were to come to pc.

I saw AC4 for $60 and retail disc for $16, so.................

Steam is the best platform and makes retail easy. Lastly you have to buy stuff during steam sales for things to really feel like steam.

This is the best way to express steam sales. This was also used by another forum member to demarcate the the start of Steam Summer Sale. During steam sales just about everything is on sale and some go for the 80-90% even on triple A titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Even other games, I was getting cheaper on retail disc.

And like @ANUPLUCIFERGAMER said, if you lose the disc you're well and truly fucked. (And I still don't know how to pronounce his profile name).

It's not "an" as in "an apple". You can pronounce it as "un" as in "unpolished". And, it's not "up" as in "up in the sky". It's "oop" as in "OOPS". So, you can say: UNOOP. i.e Anup. (indian accent). I know it's complicated. Fuck our accent.. 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I think using a single event to try and create an argument for not using Steam is a wee bit bias. Most of the time Steam is a brilliant place to buy games.

A lot of games use Steam as a backend, even as physical media. I remember when I bought RACE 07 as physical media and it had a Steam key on the back of the interior. Little did I know what Steam was and what it would do to my life.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I saw AC4 for $60 and retail disc for $16, so.................

Even other games, I was getting cheaper on retail disc.

Congratulations. It is fine if you don't use Steam. Your argument that boxed versions of games are cheaper doesn't really work with Indie titles that don't have boxed versions. Indie games are what makes Steam what it is. And the good games are usually offered at fare prices. If you want to buy a boxed version of a game because it is cheaper, go ahead. No one is stopping you. I like to us Steam because I can download any game I have purchased on any computer. I don't have to bring boxed copies everywhere. That alone makes using Steam worth while in my opinion.

I should be studying.

A lot of games use Steam as a backend, even as physical media. I remember when I bought RACE 07 (when it came out) and it had a Steam key on the back. Little did I know what Steam was and what it would do to my life.

Ah yes, I forgot about CD keys that often come with discs. Thanks for mentioning that.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

BTW, Steam is the best one. I had once got a CD for NFS Hot Pursuit. Fuck that dick, it was a pirated disc. Only the box was the original one. 

COMING SOON

To everybody saying that you're fucked when you lose the disc, you are not right. If it's an orginal copy it will add to his Uplay/Steam/Origin library and he can redownload it later. I know since I bought 4 physical copies of AC games for a ridiculously low price on a game convention and all were added to my Uplay library. Same goes for BF3 and BF4 on Origin, and I also have a few games on Steam this way.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Thats a ubisoft thing not a steam thing if u want it cheaper go to g2a.com atm its £23

Since Ubisoft have their own store on UPlay, they tend not to give big discounts to steam, however during steam sales you can still pick up Ubisoft games on great offers

Also if you buy a retail copy of most games you can register your copy to get a free steam downloadable copy so if you ever lose the disk or cd key you can redownload it from steam as well as using the updates, steam friends, steam music etc etc etc with the game

Steam has an amazing library of games from major publishers and indies alike, and has the biggest selection of games anywhere on the net. 

Even games from humble bundle and other websites give you codes for steam. So its a great place to organise a large library of games that can be redownloaded, transfered, backed up etc etc

There are also great features like steam cloud saves, friends, steam music, trading cards and all sorts of great stuff like free weekends!

Steam is never promised to be the cheapest place 365 days of the year, many times games are RRP price and not on sale. However, a few times a year they have a sale event with games anywhere from 33% to 90% off, often with games for like £1 or $2 that are normally 20$

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Is everyone freakin kidding me?!?!  DRM is the biggest PoS EVER.

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system." -- Bill Gates, 1989

HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF LORD GABEN'S GREATEST GIFT TO HUMANITY: STEAM. THIS WILL NOT GO UNPUNISHED!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Is everyone freakin kidding me?!?!  DRM is the biggest PoS EVER.

True but for most people the DRM of steam is pretty none intrusive and inoffensive, It has a decent offline mode too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

( A coincident) You don't have game installed, and you lost the disc. You're fucked..

Not really your game will still be on Origin,Steam, or Uplay so you can download it if you loose the CD.

CDs are great if you have slow internet and don't want to download a 40GB game.(Or if you have a data cap)

RTX2070OC 

Not really your game will still be on Origin,Steam, or Uplay so you can download it if you loose the CD.

CDs are great if you have slow internet and don't want to download a 40GB game.(Or if you have a data cap)

Only if the game has been activated on steam. I mean, you get a hard copy of a game. It doesn't have a steam key in the game box/anywhere. You installed played etc. You decided to free some space and deleted the game. Then you lost the cd. then you got a good mod or something. Then, the only thing left is to find the CD everywhere in the house. Including the Toilets.. and I go with your second point

COMING SOON

Only if the game has been activated on steam. I mean, you get a hard copy of a game. It doesn't have a steam key in the game box/anywhere. You installed played etc. You decided to free some space and deleted the game. Then you lost the cd. then you got a good mod or something. Then, the only thing left is to find the CD everywhere in the house. Including the Toilets.. and I go with your second point

Today almost every AAA game has either Steam,Origin, or Uplay.

I haven't seen a AAA game in the last 2 years that wasn't using one of those services.

RTX2070OC