This isn't just for this particular review, but I wish that links to Amazon UK (where applicable) would be provided on these pricing and discussion pages. Just a thought :)

Tempted to get one of these around xmas, I could use a tablet for University, would be WAY more convenient (and easier) than taking notes on paper, and since I moved my console to my PC area, my living room TV is severely underused. This would again give it meaning :)

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

Shield tablet is more compelling to me especially because I'm in the market for a tablet, and having GPU acceleration is a nice perk in some instances. 

CPU:4770k  Motherboard:Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero  RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance  GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 780 OC 6GB  CaseFractal Design Define R4 (Blackout Edition)  Storage:Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB WD Caviar Black PSU:Corsair RM 850  Display(s):BenQ 24" GL2450-B  Cooling:Corsair H75  Keyboard:Compaq (Generic)  Mouse:G500

I'd say the Shield Tablet is more for people who need a streaming device for their games and/or people who primarily need a tablet and then have the option to play games on it with decent controls. The shield portable is more of a pure portable gaming device in my opinion where all the other options are still possible but gaming is the primary factor. Connecting a TV to the shield portable for example would still work but you'd have the inconvenience of a long cable and the device itself would be much heavier than the shield tablet controller, naturally. So, I'd say it heavily depends on the usage and both versions make a lot of sense for their individual usecases. For me the shield portable would make a lot more sense since I don't need a streaming device for my TV (my only TV is directly connected to the PC anyway) but playing PC games in bed/bathtub (not really a toilet gamer, though ;) ) would be real nice.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Guys, let's just forget that this is made for gaming, and see it as an Android Tablet only. If you see it that way, it is the BEST bang for the buck you can get. For just $300 ,You will get:

- The fastest Chipset available right now for Android Tablets (even beats Apple's iPad in GPU benchmarks for HALF the price) and 2 GB of RAM

- DirectStylus 2 that is fast and responsive

- Full HD 8" IPS screen that is awesome

- Dual Front facing speaker

- Near-Stock Android with timely updates like a Nexus device (they proved it with nvidia shield and tegra note 7)

- 5 MP front and back camera

- Micro SD Card Slot that supports up to 128 GB.

Competition :

- Samsung tablets does have active stylus (which doesn't differ much from shield's stylus) but costs way more and it's slower

- Nexus 7 is cheaper but way slower without SD card slot and stylus

- Kindle Fire HDX is also cheaper but it's amazon exclusive and there aren't any SD card slot nor stylus too.

At least for me, the Nvidia Tegra Shield Tablet is a steal. I would buy this as soon as this becomes available in my region.

You are right! I am going to buy the tablet as well because it's a steal compared to the competition. Made by a reputable brand. And got all the features you need!

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

Linus said "i would use a 360 controller when u can" So does that mean u can use a different controller with it other than the special shield one? id much rather be able to use a 360 controller anyone know? and once again its not available in Aus lol but on there site it says it will come to more places so this one might actually eventually come here.

Thanks for this! I'm looking for a newer tablet to replace my original Asus Transformer tablet. The size on this Shield tablet is perfect, and it's good to know it's powerful. I'm 98% certain I will be getting this. One question. Did you do any extended reading with it? If so did you find it tiring out your hands after a while?

I've got the original shield and love it, and I'm just not that interested in the tablet version. I already have two tablets that I'm not really using much (Nexus 7 2013 and Ipad Mini Retina), so this seems like a waste. Only thing that would even remotely make sense, is to replace the Nexus 7, but the shield tablet is $300. Meh.

What would've actually got me to buy one, would have been if Nvidia designed a docking station for the TV. Honestly, I'm not sure why it doesn't exist. They play up the ability to hook it up to the TV, yet if you want to (with 1080p streaming), you have to hook up a mini hdmi, a usb otg cable with a usb ethernet adapter, and if you don't want to run out of juice, a usb y cable that splits into an otg and usb plug so that you can charge the device. The only compelling reason for to buy a shield tablet is if I had an easy way to hook it up the TV, and then take it off whenever I wanted to use it as a plain tablet. Ideally, any docking station should have full size hdmi, an extra audio out (optical preferred), gigabit ethernet port, power jack and a 2-4 port usb hub (for hooking up mouse/keyboard and extra game controllers).

Nyko developed a dock for the Shield portable, and I had one, but it was pretty poor. You had to plug in a dongle that fit into the microusb and hdmi, but at the same time it blocked both the microsd (not a huge deal) and headphone jack (big deal). And on top of that, the dock was incapable with using both power for usb and usb otg at the same time (even after nvidia updated the shield to do this).

And microsd is a bit disappointing. Even though I splurged for a 128gb microsd, I would have preferred to see full size sd, as 128gb SD are half the price of microsd. Minor complaint, and it's possible they simply didn't have the space for it.

340.52 NV driver brings GameStream support for this. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Design, other than the rubberized plastic back, looks like something that HTC would do. In my opinion, if Nvidia (or Android in general) had included built-in native Wifidirect or blue-tooth support for one/360/dualshock 3 controllers without needing to root, would really get me excited about Nvidia's tablet and future Android tablets.

$300 is tough to beat considering the specs in the tablet, and it also has a stylus.

The main question becomes is it really worth getting if you own an AMD card?

I am tempted. I use my iPad 3 4-5 hrs a day and have been waiting for the new one to be released and was going to upgrade.

I will wait and see what they cost down here before deciding though

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

Linus I may have found a good stand that might solve some of your problems with the shield tablet

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812941009/hexama-pocket-sized-smartphone-stand-iphone-stand

It is quite the cool product and I kick started it. Also this tablet is perfect for me. I have been looking for a tablet that offers more than just a bigger screen than my already big 5.5" find 7a. I wanted: more power, flexibility, good note taking, and better gaming experience. And that is what I get with this. Everything I wanted. I can plug my cm storm quickfire stealth in if I need to type some things up on Google docs. Or I can use the stylus to write some notes. And then pull out the controller if I want to do some old school Mario gaming or try out some new games. It is perfect for me in every way.

This isn't just for this particular review, but I wish that links to Amazon UK (where applicable) would be provided on these pricing and discussion pages. Just a thought :)

We use Georiot, which SHOULD give you the proper link for your location... When you click through the Amazon link we provide does it not take you to Amazon UK?

On this particular review, it wouldn't send you to Amazon UK because Shield Tablet isn't available there yet.

great review, really thinking about this tablet and controller as the first tablet offering that might make me consider something other than my iPad Air - which I really enjoy and use quite a bit.

The big draw for me though is that this tablet bridges a few of my favourite things...my PC and PC Gaming, Tablet form factor and beyond PC computing as well as the option to use it as a console/stream to my TV/Living room.

And what a great price for the LTE 32 GB Version...

It's great to see NVIDIA building an eco system around graphics and technology users...Enjoying my 780ti NV Card, My NV G-Sync Monitor and now potentially my NV Shield...

Feedback for Linus - the review didn't really cover the experience of streaming your PC games very well and I'm intrigued on how that works...is this a Steambox competitor?

I have a couple questions perhaps someone could shed some light on.

Game streaming wise, how does one paly a game that requires a keyboard? (I'm looking at World of Warcraft)

For that matter, does it accept a mouse and keyboard input? Or does everything have to work through the controller's inputs?

Does the device support a bluetooth keyboard? I would think this would work well as a Asus Transformer / Surface Pro type device.

I was contemplating getting this instead of a almost gaming laptop to acompany my gaming desktop, so I don't have to move that when i go to a friends house, etc. But if it doesn't support KB + Mouse, then I'd be better off with something else.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

For that matter, does it accept a mouse and keyboard input? Or does everything have to work through the controller's inputs?

Does the device support a bluetooth keyboard? I would think this would work well as a Asus Transformer / Surface Pro type device.

Its my understanding that many Android tablets support mouse+keyboard as inputs(Bluetooth or OTG). The shield tab looks like it supports this feature as well, though I'm not sure if mouse support is only on the controller.

Would be cool if Shield Tab owners investigated this, streaming traditional m+kb games on the go with your tablet would be pretty cool.

Its my understanding that many Android tablets support mouse+keyboard as inputs(Bluetooth or OTG). The shield tab looks like it supports this feature as well, though I'm not sure if mouse support is only on the controller.

Would be cool if Shield Tab owners investigated this, streaming traditional m+kb games on the go with your tablet would be pretty cool.

I'd like a "keyboard dock" that supports a USB mouse input. That would be great for me.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I'd be curious to the typical practicality and latency of gamestream? Cause I'm interested. I mean just from the same room with a good network setup. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Linus, I wish you included the price of the hardware you review on video. Yes, I'm aware that prices change over time, but it wouldn't hurt to have the MSRP mentioned at the time of recording.

i'm curious on how well the stylus works againts a wacom tablet which the wacom would definately win but unlike most less pricey wacoms the shield tablet is a screen tablet, NVIDIA should have introduce this to both gamers and artist alike! if one consumer isn't interested at least another will take a look.

kinda wish Linus hand it over to someone who edit pictures and tell us how well it work.

Waiting for mine. Was looking for a tablet and saw how cheep this was for what you get..... Also it plays games!! :P

Do you need the Controller to play games on the tablet? 

and what would you guys pick?

Returning after 8 years dormant

Im waffling between the something like this or something like the Asus PadPhone. However the controller is enticing. Does it support wireless 360 controllers?

Hehe, after that pretty good review, I don't think Linus will have any issue getting them Titan Blacks :P

hehe @ 6:47: "Ten Eighty Sixty P" :P

So, Linus, are you perhaps able to comment a little bit more on this device as a note taking tablet? None of the reviews I've read/watched have gone into any real detail on the stylus. I'm a college student, and I love the idea of taking handwritten notes digitally. I'm currently using a Surface Pro as my note taking device, but the battery life is just abysmal. I have to find outlets during my lunch breaks just to be able to squeeze out enough juice to last through all of my classes. So I've been looking for a replacement for a while now. I looked at that 8 inch Asus tablet with Wacom pen, but the thing that stopped me from purchasing it was the Windows OS. Don't get me wrong, I love Windows, but I just don't think it's as good on a tablet as iOS and Android. Sure, I could get the full OneNote desktop app and it would be great at note taking, but speaking from experience with the Surface, using it as an actual tablet for consumption is quite a lackluster experience. I just can't justify spending another $300 on a device that would only have one purpose. I'd always avoided Android tablets in the past since I use OneNote for all of my notes, and the OneNote app was a bit lacking. But a couple of days ago, Microsoft pushed a beta to the Android version of OneNote that finally added handwriting support. So, would you recommend this as a note taking tablet? How was the writing experience in comparison to the Surface Pro 3? Is the software implementation of the stylus compatible with the new OneNote beta's handwriting feature?

shield portable if i could afford it -_-

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.