2x EVGA GTX 660 FTW or 1 XFX R9 280?

RevoltTrain

Which will give me more performance. I'm on a bit of a budget and want to get the best performance possible and I'm not sure which I will get the most performance out of. And if there is a difference in performance how big is the difference? 

Edit: I meant a 280X not a 280.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I'd take the 280 with a view to add another later.

damn that gif is smooth..

What are you putting it in? You need to spend more to get an sli capable mother board and while 2 660's will probably be faster the expand ability isn't there.

How much are the Evga 660's you looking at ?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

280x
-newer
-powerful
-will allow you to crossfire when the time comes 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

What are you putting it in? You need to spend more to get an sli capable mother board and while 2 660's will probably be faster the expand ability isn't there.

How much are the Evga 660's you looking at ?

I'd be putting them on a MSI Z97 Gaming 5. The 660's would be for about $160 each.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I'd be putting them on a MSI Z97 Gaming 5. The 660's would be for about $160 each.

I would go 280x unless you have something that needs cuda or Physx support.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

How about the GTX 770? You can get one on NCIXUS for about $259.99

^^ this

AMD prices have been cut by a lot

find a 290 with good discount

and avoid Asus and XFX brands

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

How about the GTX 770? You can get one on NCIXUS for about $259.99

R9 280 faster cheaper. nvidia is out classed and outpriced.

^^ this

AMD prices have been cut by a lot

find a 290 with good discount

and avoid Asus and XFX brands

There is nothing wrong with Asus love their cards their support is ok. 

also XFX does not have the best QC but their warranty support is amazing.

There is nothing wrong with Asus love their cards their support is ok. 

also XFX does not have the best QC but their warranty support is amazing.

if you have been living in the rock in the recent months

Asus cards have been famous for VRAM and VRMs overheating thanks to the R&D lazy bums and recycling the Geforce coolers on AMD cards

the cooler have no contact with the VRMs and VRAM

XFX have bad QC and the RMA process is horrible and their tech support is not helpful

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

280.... BUT NOT XFX HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT!!!!!!!!!

FOR THe LOVE OF GOD NOT XFX!!!!
Fine I will explain why.
Takes 2-3 days to respond to even the most basic questions
RMA Process is long and tedious
You pay for shipping both ways
I had to RMA 6 different 7970s from them

280.... BUT NOT XFX HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT!!!!!!!!!

FOR THe LOVE OF GOD NOT XFX!!!!
Fine I will explain why.
Takes 2-3 days to respond to even the most basic questions
RMA Process is long and tedious
You pay for shipping both ways
I had to RMA 6 different 7970s from them

lol i think you need to put this in your sig

Hmmm 290 is a great choice, i know its underrated but get the PCS+ it has the second best cooler besides the Vaporx wich is 60 dollars more.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

if you have been living in the rock in the recent months

Asus cards have been famous for VRAM and VRMs overheating thanks to the R&D lazy bums and recycling the Geforce coolers on AMD cards

the cooler have no contact with the VRMs and VRAM

XFX have bad QC and the RMA process is horrible and their tech support is not helpful

odd, I have one and when i take it apart there is a cooler on those parts.

As far as xfx rma goes it is very smooth every time I have had too do it.

odd, I have one and when i take it apart there is a cooler on those parts.

As far as xfx rma goes it is very smooth every time I have had too do it.

not sure but when i open the 280X

I was in shock as the design

the heat pipes was just for the GPU core

nothing on the VRAM and VRMs

not sure but when i open the 280X

I was in shock as the design

the heat pipes was just for the GPU core

nothing on the VRAM and VRMs

When he said no asus or xfx we where talking about 290's 

The 280's may be horrible (haven't had or worked on one yet) but my DCU2 290 is great.

When he said no asus or xfx we where talking about 290's 

The 280's may be horrible (haven't had or worked on one yet) but my DCU2 290 is great.

well with bad exp with the Asus 280X

i not sure If i can trust Asus AMD cards even if they revised the cooler design

even the 290X Matrix was not spared the artifacts issue

sure the DCU cooler is fine for Geforce but not for AMD cards thou

you could be lucky with your card

lol i think you need to put this in your sig

I should, typing "Look at my sig" is easier than that....

well with bad exp with the Asus 280X

i not sure If i can trust Asus AMD cards even if they revised the cooler design

even the 290X Matrix was not spared the artifacts issue

sure the DCU cooler is fine for Geforce but not for AMD cards thou

you could be lucky with your card

if you take apart the new style DCU2 cooler for a 290 or 290x (probably the nvidia ones as well) there is a black cross brace that prevents sagging and acts as a heat sink for the VRM's and the memory.

i have an older Twin frozr III 7850 that has no cooling on the VRM's or memory so it is hardly an asus specific problem. then again that this overclocks so well regardless.

cooler1.jpgcooler2.jpg

cooler3.jpg

according to the picture here

the cooler still only have contact with the GPU

although the VRMs now have a proper heatsink

which part you were referring?

The reason you cant see the part I was referring too was because I was thinking about the brace on my  MSI 290 :x. My mistake.  The asus 290 sill out performs my MSI gaming OC 290 card.

The reason you cant see the part I was referring too was because I was thinking about the brace on my  MSI 290 :x. My mistake.  The asus 290 sill out performs my MSI gaming OC 290 card.

oh lolz

no worries

other than the overheating issues and slightly overpriced products

the Asus is one good card

90a.jpg 

That's the one on the msi that I was thinking of, When i say the picture you lined I was so confused because I knew I had seen it before.