Microsoft to axe 18,000 jobs

Jozzle

News just breaking on the BBC - Microsoft cutting 18,000 jobs, mostly from Nokia. The largest ever job cut in its history.

From the quote by Satya Nadella, what exactly would shifting focus towards "online service, apps and devices" mean for the company?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28348223

Joe

Maybe someone should stop firing all the MS employee's so they can fix the abomination that is MS licensing.

Unbelievable, this is going to be painful for those who are in rough financial situation and above that getting fired from Microsoft :unsure:

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

"The bulk of the cuts, around 12,500, will be in its phone unit Nokia, which Microsoft bought in April, the firm said."

Sucks for Nokia staff. Wonder if they saw this coming. Essentially they wanted the patents and tech, but not the staff.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I think it'll be fairly easy for those guys to get a job at another manufacturer. Sucks though

Before anyone tries to demonize Microsoft here, they're being laid off not fired, which means Microsoft is going to be providing them with generous severance packages and is also going to help them in finding new jobs so it's not as if Microsoft is just giving them the old "GTFO". The total severance benefits Microsoft is paying out to employees will be up to $800 Million and the laying off process will be taking place over a 6-month period. The average severance per employee will be $44,000 although in reality some will get more and some less.

Details: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/jul14/07-17pressrelease.aspx

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

RH00D is right, it's not the same as being fired. Even with redundancy/severance pay etc, it's still a pretty extreme move to axe that many jobs.

For perspective: 18k / 127 k = ~14%

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Shame that all of those hard working people are now out of a job.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

And my dream was to work for Microsoft one day... :( :(

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Sad, just sad. But on the bright side, like what @RH00D said, the laid off workers get some slack.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

"The bulk of the cuts, around 12,500, will be in its phone unit Nokia, which Microsoft bought in April, the firm said."

Sucks for Nokia staff. Wonder if they saw this coming. Essentially they wanted the patents and tech, but not the staff.

Tbh Nokia was Circling the drain way before MS touched it and frankly the company would have probably folded soon meaning far more job losses. It was late in coming to the smartphone market which frankly left them at a severe disadvantage.

Wow really :( makes me sad when corporations, especially one that makes billions, letting people go. Not cool.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

News just breaking on the BBC - Microsoft cutting 18,000 jobs, mostly from Nokia. The largest ever job cut in its history.

From the quote by Satya Nadella, what exactly would shifting focus towards "online service, apps and devices" mean for the company?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28348223

Joe

Including Barnacules Nerdgasm look at his twitter =(

https://twitter.com/Barnacules/status/489895908767588352

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Including Barnacules Nerdgasm look at his twitter =(

https://twitter.com/Barnacules/status/489895908767588352

And the weird part is that he worked for MS for over 15 years..He wasn't new.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

And the weird part is that he worked for MS for over 15 years..He wasn't new.

Yea it's real shame why lay off someone who has proven to be a really good reliable employee when theres thousands of other newer people that they couldve gotten rid of? Not to mention he has a kid with special needs, so I hope hell be able to find another job soon. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

The employees might not have seen it coming, but the higher ups at Nokia most likely did. No big difference. Nokia would have probably done the same thing. That company just isn't what it used to be. 

Kind of crazy seeing how some of the asian tech companies have gone down and the speed with which it happened. Sony at one time was THE company to get a TV from, maybe a phone from and their PC business was pretty big for laptops/all in ones. For us older people Walkman was the @$%^ and you were styling if you had one. The Sony store was where you went in the mall to check out awesome Bravia TV's. Nokia was big.

Now these companies are pale shadows to what they used to be as far as hardware. Korean companies and other asian companies came out and just demolished them.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Yea it's real shame why lay off someone who has proven to be a really good reliable employee when theres thousands of other newer people that they couldve gotten rid of? Not to mention he has a kid with special needs, so I hope hell be able to find another job soon. 

Bosses dont give a shit about that... sad but true. If he has been there for 15 years it means he would be expensive to keep, they would much rather higher some young new guy for half the money.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It's also expensive to lay-off someone who's worked for a company for 15 years. The longer their service, the higher the severence pay etc. If you balance employee experience and cost of seperation, I thought they would have kept him.