Surface Pro 3 Review

Yea touch screen should work in the UEFI. Definitely you fell with a faulty device.

All I can think off is bad circuit board components.

I am leaning towards hardware issues at this point and I am  currently reverting it back to all factory specs and wiping the data, but I have not completely ruled out software. The Touch Screen driver is a form of Firmware and it falls into the same category as the UEFI Firmware in Device manager, so its possible that the Touch screen firmware is also used by the UEFI. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I think the comparison to the MBA from their site is funny.

TSJu67w.png

ktAgcx6.png

Especially: The MBA doesn't have a Detachable Keyboard, WE DO! .... but it's not included.

And ofcourse: The only decent software on OSX you can run is Office. It's the only checkmark they gave it. And the MBA *tips the scales* at 3lbs. What about my Dell 17" work laptop that with power supply weighed something like 21lbs? Haha!

I would have rather seen them (Microsoft) compare it to another native windows device in the same category, because by the time you've decided to consider a Surface Pro... I don't think Apple is on your mind. I choose my OS before I choose my device.

If this WAS going to be my "computer" and not a tablet, I'd have to pick up one of these adapters from Juiced. http://www.juicedsystems.com/usb-3.0-Surface-Pro-Tablet-adapter

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

As a student I was interested in the Pro 3 until I saw the review.

So I'm trying to find powerful/cheaper alternatives to this machine. I'm looking for convertibles or tablets that can be used as laptops. I've looked a bit at the Lenovo Thinkpad 10, which looks pretty good. I want to be able to use a (digitizer?) pen and a keyboard for taking notes.

However I also want it to be a good entertainment tablet... The Windows Store is remarkably bad compared to Play. How well do you guys think the Thinkpad 10 would perform running something like Andy/Bluestacks to simulate Android? Most of the apps I'm interested in using for entertainment are Android apps. Frankly I don't think I'd even use the "tiles" menu that Windows 8 brought with it.

What do you guys think? Do I actually need an ultrabook and an Android tablet, or will the Thinkpad 10 suffice?

They are all crap. I have done extensive research. If you want a good non-bias (not saying that Linus was... I am sure saying for those blog site that bashes anything that doesn't have the Apple logo on) review of the Surface Pro 3, from people that review tablets, that live in the world of needing such device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpl5V7DMl4&list=UUW6J17hZ_Vgr6cQgd_kHt5A

I have the Surface Pro 2, and I am a student, and I tell you this device is awesome. Best Windows experience you can get. and it delivers in all front.

Is it perfect? No. But so no other laptops/tablet/convertible device.

If you want to save money a bit, you can get the Surface Pro 2, but the resolution is less, it is heavier and thicker device, but the performance is the same (same CPU, same memory, etc). The only difference at the hardware level, the pen technology. The Surface Pro 2 uses Wacom, which requires a 1 time 80-points calibration, and the technology has limitation such as not having great tracking on corners. The Pro 3 uses N-Trig, which has none of this, but the pen requires a AAAA battery to operate, detects 256 level of pressure sensitivity instead of 1024, and well the above review covers all that in greater details. So both has ups and downs. Wacom is more for drawing, while N-trig is more for writing, but nothing prevents you from doing either well.

The thinkPad 10 has only 1 angle with the keyboard which is retarded, as you sometimes want to fight reflection or get a better view of the device based on your height, chair height and tablet height. Uses a thin pen, which is not very comfortable to use, the keyboard is horrible, a real netbook experience which I don't know anyone wanting a netbook after theirs, it's slow, very slow. And the Fn key and Ctrl key are reverse (drives me nuts, never got used to it. It's a Lenovo thing, for some reason). But it is a cheaper, and has a plastic body, so you can put on a table and not worry about scratching, an issue that you will have to expect with the Surface Pro series, due to the magnesium body (can't be dyed, looks like it can only be painted (never seen a single died colored magnesium product ever, so I don't think it can be done, or look nice), so anything will scratch it. So you definitely want to get a pocket and pit the device on the cover facing the table, not the back.

So its up to you.

So its up to you.

Thanks for your thorough comment GoodBytes. I've been reconsidering the SP3 and I believe it is the right product for me. Just being able to use it to read and highlight PDFs on the go; taking notes on my classes' PowerPoint presentations etc... That's enough to convince me. I would never buy a pen like the one Linus suggested. I guess it just isn't a product for him personally. (That's what initially put me off, haha!)

I'll be pre-ordering it then.

Oh and PS: Microsoft offers a discount on the SP and the type cover for students :)

Thanks for your thorough comment GoodBytes. I've been reconsidering the SP3 and I believe it is the right product for me. Just being able to use it to read and highlight PDFs on the go; taking notes on my classes' PowerPoint presentations etc... That's enough to convince me. I would never buy a pen like the one Linus suggested. I guess it just isn't a product for him personally. (That's what initially put me off, haha!)

Yea.

Also, come to think about it, he complained about not fitting the device on a plane tray, well looking at other people comment on other forum about the device, it seams that it depends on the plane you go. And I recall perfectly well I took a plane, (4 to be exact, 2 per direction), and all of them, was able to fit perfectly fine my 14inch laptop... and it was 16:10 aspect ratio, not 16:9, so it should be worse. And I was not in business/first class. And usually people doing business trip, go under business class, not the cheapest plane ticket money can buy.

Anyway that doesn't concern us, at least not yet. :)

I'll be pre-ordering it then.

Pre-order? It's already out yet. If you are thinking of getting the i7 model, I don't think it's a good choice, because Intel integrated graphics is not efficient, while it doesn't consume much power, when pushed, like playing demanding (for it) PC games, it will eat a lot of power and create a lot of heat. The SP3 (Surface Pro 3) despite nice and smart cooling solution design, its not good enough for continuous intense push. Better wait for Intel next gen CPU if you want that (Broadwell), for the current design of the SP3.

Oh and PS: Microsoft offers a discount on the SP and the type cover for students :)

Yea! 10% off on the keyboard and the device itself.

I would personally suggest to get the Microsoft Complete warranty as well (or the one from your retailer that you like, if any). It's 150$ US/Can, and extends the warranty of the device to 2 years, and gives you accidental damage protection (up to 2 claims, and 50$ is required per claim for accidental damage (I see it as about the price of shipping both direction that Microsoft wants you to pay, based on me sending stuff of similar sizes)).

3 reasons why:

-> While Microsoft does a solid device, they don't have the reputation built-up that showcases that the device doesnt' turn faulty

-> As this is a new design of the system, you never know.

-> You are at school, people will bump in to you, you might not be careful one day, etc. you never know.

My only complain about all this, is that if you don't have a Microsoft store, like a physical one, Microsoft warranty is not great. It's very meh. Not the worst, but far far from the best.

This is because Microsoft contract a company to handle phone support and warranty, so they don't want to cover you, as they loose money, and in addition, they hands are tied, and avoid exceptions. This is of course, based on stories that I read. I did read great stories, thought. But I want to put this as an alert. Something to potentially expect. This is something that I knew before getting my SP2.

I don't want to pick a fight here but I noticed a few glaring errors in your post.

Yea.
Also, come to think about it, he complained about not fitting the device on a plane tray, well looking at other people comment on other forum about the device, it seams that it depends on the plane you go. And I recall perfectly well I took a plane, (4 to be exact, 2 per direction), and all of them, was able to fit perfectly fine my 14inch laptop... and it was 16:10 aspect ratio, not 16:9, so it should be worse. And I was not in business/first class. And usually people doing business trip, go under business class, not the cheapest plane ticket money can buy. The Surface Pro 3 does not have a solid bottom. This was a problem because although he could fit the device itself, the kickstand went off the back edge so the display was leaning against the seat in front of him.

Anyway that doesn't concern us, at least not yet. :)

Pre-order? It's already out yet. If you are thinking of getting the i7 model, I don't think it's a good choice, because Intel integrated graphics is not efficient, while it doesn't consume much power, when pushed, like playing demanding (for it) PC games, it will eat a lot of power and create a lot of heat. The SP3 (Surface Pro 3) despite nice and smart cooling solution design, its not good enough for continuous intense push. Better wait for Intel next gen CPU if you want that (Broadwell), for the current design of the SP3. The MacBook Air 13" gets 12+ hours of battery life with an i7 in it. It's also cheaper spec for spec and has a good keyboard and a good trackpad that come with it. The MacBook Air 11" is an even better value. For just $50 more than the i7 Surface Pro 3, you can get a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display that has a much better screen, graphics processor, and CPU. Better battery life as well.

Yea! 10% off on the keyboard and the device itself. But they're marketing it as replacing your laptop, which it cannot do in the default configuration. As a student, the MacBook Air is a better value.

I would personally suggest to get the Microsoft Complete warranty as well (or the one from your retailer that you like, if any). It's 150$ US/Can, and extends the warranty of the device to 2 years, and gives you accidental damage protection (up to 2 claims, and 50$ is required per claim for accidental damage (I see it as about the price of shipping both direction that Microsoft wants you to pay, based on me sending stuff of similar sizes)). Apple does the same thing but the service itself is only $99.

3 reasons why:
-> While Microsoft does a solid device, they don't have the reputation built-up that showcases that the device doesnt' turn faulty
-> As this is a new design of the system, you never know.
-> You are at school, people will bump in to you, you might not be careful one day, etc. you never know.

My only complain about all this, is that if you don't have a Microsoft store, like a physical one, Microsoft warranty is not great. It's very meh. Not the worst, but far far from the best.
This is because Microsoft contract a company to handle phone support and warranty, so they don't want to cover you, as they loose money, and in addition, they hands are tied, and avoid exceptions. This is of course, based on stories that I read. I did read great stories, thought. But I want to put this as an alert. Something to potentially expect. This is something that I knew before getting my SP2.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What I am saying is that when I put the 14inch laptop. Nowhere it came out of the table. It fitted perfectly. The base of the system didn't got out of the mini table. The Surface Pro 3 when open a bit (first position), has a smaller footprint than a (well my) 14inch laptop. Granted if you want more, the keyboard will have to came out a bit closer to you, but it's solid, and you can put pressure on it from your palm. Well at least that is the case with the Pro 2, which is what I have. It is true that the Pro 3 is lighter... So, maybe... is what I can give you.

You can also flip the keyboard backward under the stand "presentation mode" style if it was a Toshiba Yoga, or remove the keyboard (same thing), and you should be fine. I don't see a person typing a novel in the plane. Usually what people do on the plane (from what I noticed) is reviewing and do small changes to their work. The touch screen keyboard should be fine for these small things. I see people using their iPad to type notes with the touch screen keyboard. Definitely fine if you use the device watch a movie, which is what I saw most people do.

All I am saying, is I don't think it is as bad as he showed on the video, that is all, and that it should work ok. Not the best, I agree. But, ok. People on forum are saying it's fine.

MacBook Air is 13inch monster compare to the Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3. The closest size is the MacBook Air 11inch, which gets you ~7h of battery life (based on reviews, but Apple claim the same as Microsoft: 9h). Keep in mind the aspect ratio of the Pro 3., and that it mater big time in your bag, and when you are carrying. Not to mention the thinnest and weight.

What does the value of the student offer of MacBook Air/Pro has to do with how the Surface Pro 3 can replace your laptop? However, if you are talking about the offer The MacBook Air is less expensive, keep in mind you need to add Windows to the price tag.

AppleCare is http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD015LL/A/macbook-macbook-air-13-macbook-pro-applecare-protection-plan, 279$ for the MacBook Air. Although, it does give you 3 years instead of 2, and most likely better service experience on the phone, and due to teh larger number of store locations, better onsite service for most people.

And at no point I comparing to Apple products. So I have no idea what you are talking about. But if you want to do that. fine..

-> The MacBook Air 11 and 13 doesn't have an IPS display, but rather TN.

-> MacBook Air 13 has only 1440x900 resolution, while the 11 is even lower at 1366x768. The Surface Pro 1, 2 has 1080p, and Pro 3: 2160x1440

-> MacBook Air/Pro has no touch screen

-> MacBook Air/Pro has no digitize pen. The iPad also doesn't have a digitize pen.

-> MacBook Air 11 is heavier.

So already, it lost HUGELY. Especially that the point of the Surface Pro device is the pen. That's the main focus of the device. For a bit tight to take on a plane with the keyboard.... I think its a worth compromise, especially that you can use it as a note book, and use the pen to write on the plane.

Sorry, but you brought it up. I was staying away from this.

@GoodBytes

Pre-order?

It's not released yet in Norway. It still says it will ship by end of August. I'm going for the one with 128 GB and i5 CPU. Should be way more than sufficient for my needs. I am even considering the cheapest one since storage isn't going to be an issue.

Yea.
Also, come to think about it, he complained about not fitting the device on a plane tray, well looking at other people comment on other forum about the device, it seams that it depends on the plane you go. And I recall perfectly well I took a plane, (4 to be exact, 2 per direction), and all of them, was able to fit perfectly fine my 14inch laptop... and it was 16:10 aspect ratio, not 16:9, so it should be worse. And I was not in business/first class. And usually people doing business trip, go under business class, not the cheapest plane ticket money can buy.

Anyway that doesn't concern us, at least not yet.  :)

It really doesn't matter to me whether it's too big for a plane tray, I'm not going to do much flying... Life as a student ~

I would personally suggest to get the Microsoft Complete warranty as well

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider doing that. Consumer laws in Norway are pretty excellent though. Any fault that isn't caused by the consumer directly or indirectly is the seller's responsibility for 2 or 5 years (5 years for computers). This is also mandatory, so any contractual terms with Microsoft that are less beneficial for the consumer are void. The insurance would be neat though...

@Builder

I won't even consider buying an Apple computer. You're throwing out the word "Retina" to express your love for an obviously inferior screen. Beginning your post with "not trying to pick a fight" and then obnoxiously "correcting" an entire post with biased fanboyism -- it just reeks of troll.

Anyway, I'm looking for a convertible with Windows and a stylus. An iPad with a keyboard or a Macbook Air with Windows 8.1 or both of these don't meet my requirements. That still applies if I also bought the stylus Linus suggested.

• 1 month later...

I know u don't really like the Surface pro 3, but as a student,

who has to run around to difference classes every day, taking notes, printing something out from the library, using it at recess with no table...etc, it's an awesome device.

Always wanted a tablets that have the power of a laptop. 

I know we can all do this with a laptop, but the Surface pro make it easier, using it when standing up or walking, quick access and using the stylus for talking notes, is some of the reason why.

Was going to buy this, now im reconsidering! Thanks alot!

You should read peoples comments, here.

But personally, if you are a new student to College/University, if you can wait, I would get Pro 4. It will have Intel new more power efficient CPU, so cooler operating, and even longer battery life, and is expected to be more powerful (especially in the iGPU side, as it seems that Intel might be doing some level of effort into it.. hopefully the drivers will improve as well), and will have Win9, obviously.

What has to do with being a new student? Well, by doing a normal semester the old fashion, you can better evaluate, I think, your needs. You can see the problems you'll face with a laptop and/or convertible tablet and so on, and end up taking the best decision at the end that would best fit your needs.

If you are not a student, then obviously it's a different story, and that is up to you to evaluate your usage.

But to sum it up, if you don't plan to use the pen, then this is not a great device. If you do, then this is the best device you can get.

As a student who has been dying for a solution to hand write notes for techinical courses on the computer, this is perfect. I will be ordering one in a week or two and will write up a review of it for my usecase.

• 6 months later...

I am computer science major going into my senior year soon. The price of the surface pro 3 is dropping soon I wanted to get some feed back if it is a good investment.

It is dropping a bit in price. It is up to you.

Microsoft is super good at keeping Surface details under wraps. Most rumors only states the obvious, like "Intel new CPU". Well of course it will be. They won't put a Core 2 Duo inside.

You have to buy what you need. If you think the performance of the Surface Pro 3 is perfect for you for the next 3 years at least, and the downsides don't affect you, then great! You'll enjoy it a lot. If you prefer waiting, then get the Pro 4. The way I see it, it is better to spend 100-200$ more and get the latest version if it would mean you'll be happy for the next 3 years minimum for such price range device, than saving that, and not really be happy and looking to sale it to buy the newer model, making you loose more money in the end.